From: lars.kellogg-stedman@VERT (Lars Kellogg-Stedman)
To: alt.bbs.synchronet
Subject: Is it possible to completely disable ANSI color?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 20:53:30 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Lars Kellogg-Stedman - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 03:53 UTC

From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet

I'd like to set up a packet-radio accessible synchronet bbs...but that means operating over 1200 bps, generally without a modern terminal. I need to configure a minimal, plain text interface with absolutely no color codes.

Is that possible? Some things (like the "Enter User Name or Number or 'New'" prompt) happen before the user logs in, so per-user terminal type settings won't have any impact. I would like synchronet to not send any screen control codes.

Thanks!
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Is it possible to completely disable ANSI color?

<65414080.50518.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1577&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1577

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Lars Kellogg-Stedman
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 10:59:28 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 17:59 UTC

Re: Is it possible to completely disable ANSI color?
By: Lars Kellogg-Stedman to alt.bbs.synchronet on Mon Oct 30 2023 08:53 pm

> From Newsgroup: alt.bbs.synchronet
>
> I'd like to set up a packet-radio accessible synchronet bbs...but that means
> operating over 1200 bps, generally without a modern terminal. I need to
> configure a minimal, plain text interface with absolutely no color codes.
>
> Is that possible? Some things (like the "Enter User Name or Number or 'New'"
> prompt) happen before the user logs in, so per-user terminal type settings
> won't have any impact. I would like synchronet to not send any screen
> control codes.
>
> Thanks!

Yes. In fact, Synchronet already does that (does not send any screen control
codes) when a smart terminal (e.g. ANSI terminal) is not detected. But you can further strip down and simplify everything for packet-radio users as you see fit.
--
digital man (rob)

Rush quote #53:
He picks up scraps of conversation, radio and radiation .. Digital Man
Norco, CA WX: 76.7°F, 10.0% humidity, 0 mph ENE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net