She's so tough she won't take 'yes' for an answer.

dovenet / Synchronet Discussion / dosemu2 configuration instructions

SubjectAuthor
* dosemu2 configuration instructionsner
`* dosemu2 configuration instructionsNightfox
 `* dosemu2 configuration instructionsGamgee
  +* dosemu2 configuration instructionsRyan Fantus
  |`* dosemu2 configuration instructionsNightfox
  | `* dosemu2 configuration instructionsRyan Fantus
  |  `* dosemu2 configuration instructionsNightfox
  |   `- dosemu2 configuration instructionsRyan Fantus
  `* dosemu2 configuration instructionsNightfox
   `* dosemu2 configuration instructionsnelgin
    +* dosemu2 configuration instructionsMRO
    |`* dosemu2 configurationDumas Walker
    | `* dosemu2 configurationMRO
    |  `- dosemu2 configurationDumas Walker
    `* dosemu2 configurationDumas Walker
     +* dosemu2 configurationnelgin
     |+* dosemu2 configurationDumas Walker
     ||`* dosemu2 configurationNer
     || `- dosemu2 configurationnelgin
     |`- dosemu2 configurationMRO
     `* dosemu2 configurationNigel Reed
      `* dosemu2 configurationDumas Walker
       `* dosemu2 configurationnelgin
        +- dosemu2 configurationGamgee
        `* dosemu2 configurationDumas Walker
         `* dosemu2 configurationMRO
          +* dosemu2 configurationDumas Walker
          |`- dosemu2 configurationMRO
          `* dosemu2 configurationDigital Man
           `- dosemu2 configurationMRO

Pages:12
dosemu2 configuration instructions

<653205E0.50476.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1536&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1536

From: ner@VERT (ner)
To: all
Subject: dosemu2 configuration instructions
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 21:45:20 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: ner - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 04:45 UTC

All,

I'm running the latest version of 2.0 pre9 for dosemu2. I followed the wiki,
and things didn't go too well. Here's what I had to ensure if it helps anyone
else. I also wanted to know if anyone experienced this.
I had to make sure that the cmd keys were all on one line. If that's not done,
then it won't run the command
With the dosemu.ini changes that are quoted in the wiki, when I ran a door, I
got all of the boot trash you get when you run dosemu by itself. This is great
for debug, and for seeing versions and such, but isn't great when you just want
the user to see the game start.
The command key conatains a "QUIET=1" value. Whether or not it is 0 or 1,
output remains the same. However, after checking the /usr/bin/dosemu wrapper
script, I fonud that the -quiet switch (-q in dosemu) runs the following
command and must be added to both keys
-tde -ks -exec 2>/dev/null
Nasty but true, and it's how the script runs it.
Running this way sets terminal to dumb and then pipes some content to
/dev/null. Also note, it takes about 1.5 to two seconds to run a door this
way.
Is there an easier way to get quiet output, or am I doing the right thing? I
can say that this setup is working for the games I'm using--I'm slowly adding
more, and if I find some that don't work, I'll let you know. I do believe I've
decrypted the new command line options (undocumented I might add for some of
them.

Thanks all.

NER
NER BBS

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

dosemu2 configuration instructions

<6532B691.84612.dove_sync@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1537&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1537

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: ner
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:19:13 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Nightfox - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:19 UTC

Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions
By: ner to all on Thu Oct 19 2023 09:45 pm

ne> Is there an easier way to get quiet output, or am I doing the right thing?
ne> I can say that this setup is working for the games I'm using--I'm slowly
ne> adding more, and if I find some that don't work, I'll let you know. I do
ne> believe I've decrypted the new command line options (undocumented I might
ne> add for some of them.

There might be, though I haven't looked into it yet. I noticed dosemu2 started adding a lot of that startup output quite a while ago.. There used to be a lot less of that.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions

<653367F4.48365.dove-syncdisc@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1539&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1539

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANTIR (Gamgee)
To: Nightfox
Subject: Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 00:53:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Gamgee - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 05:53 UTC

-=> Nightfox wrote to ner <=-

Ni> Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions
Ni> By: ner to all on Thu Oct 19 2023 09:45 pm

ne> Is there an easier way to get quiet output, or am I doing the right thing?
ne> I can say that this setup is working for the games I'm using--I'm slowly
ne> adding more, and if I find some that don't work, I'll let you know. I do
ne> believe I've decrypted the new command line options (undocumented I might
ne> add for some of them.

Ni> There might be, though I haven't looked into it yet. I noticed
Ni> dosemu2 started adding a lot of that startup output quite a while
Ni> ago.. There used to be a lot less of that.

Can someone remind me why it's good/beneficial to run dosemu2, other
than (possibly) allowing the TW2002 door to run? What actual
advantage(s) does it offer over the original dosemu?

.... Gone crazy, be back later, please leave message.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions

<653404E5.50480.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1540&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1540

From: ryan.fantus@VERT (Ryan Fantus)
To: Gamgee
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:01:09 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Ryan Fantus - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:01 UTC

Ga> Can someone remind me why it's good/beneficial to run dosemu2, other
Ga> than (possibly) allowing the TW2002 door to run? What actual
Ga> advantage(s) does it offer over the original dosemu?

I think TW2002 and Darkland were the two doors I couldn't run in dosemu and could in dosemu2, and also pkunzip had a problem in dosemu without DPMI (which has a decent workaround if I remember correctly).

In an ideal world, dosemu and dosemu2 could be installed alongside one another. I'm just not sure if that's feasible.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/02/26 (Linux/64)
* Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (1:218/820)
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions

<653404A1.84615.dove_sync@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1541&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1541

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Gamgee
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:04:33 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Nightfox - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:04 UTC

Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions
By: Gamgee to Nightfox on Sat Oct 21 2023 12:53 am

Ga> Can someone remind me why it's good/beneficial to run dosemu2, other than
Ga> (possibly) allowing the TW2002 door to run? What actual advantage(s) does
Ga> it offer over the original dosemu?

TW2002 is really the only reason I wanted to update to dosemu2. I haven't really looked into the new features it adds over the original dosemu. I don't think the original dosemu is maintained anymore though, so it wouldn't receive any bug fixes etc..

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions

<653446ED.84617.dove_sync@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1542&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1542

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Ryan Fantus
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 14:47:25 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Nightfox - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 21:47 UTC

Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions
By: Ryan Fantus to Gamgee on Sat Oct 21 2023 10:01 am

RF> I think TW2002 and Darkland were the two doors I couldn't run in dosemu
RF> and could in dosemu2, and also pkunzip had a problem in dosemu without
RF> DPMI (which has a decent workaround if I remember correctly).

I'd think there are probably some rare cases where you'd need to run the DOS pkunzip these days. There are modern programs for zipping & unzipping that run natively on modern operating systems.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions

<65357287.50483.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1543&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1543

From: ryan.fantus@VERT (Ryan Fantus)
To: Nightfox
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 12:02:17 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Ryan Fantus - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:02 UTC

Ni> I'd think there are probably some rare cases where you'd need to run the
Ni> DOS pkunzip these days. There are modern programs for zipping &
Ni> unzipping that run natively on modern operating systems.

I believe it's still necessary for DOS based interbbs games in most cases.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/02/26 (Linux/64)
* Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (1:218/820)
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions

<65358DDA.84619.dove_sync@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1544&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1544

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Ryan Fantus
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:02:18 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Nightfox - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 21:02 UTC

Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions
By: Ryan Fantus to Nightfox on Sun Oct 22 2023 12:02 pm

Ni>> I'd think there are probably some rare cases where you'd need to run the
Ni>> DOS pkunzip these days. There are modern programs for zipping &
Ni>> unzipping that run natively on modern operating systems.

RF> I believe it's still necessary for DOS based interbbs games in most cases.

Yes, though you can use a modern native program to zip and unzip the archives. Only the actual game and its maintenance software would need to be run in a DOS emulator. Why would you need to use the DOS pkunzip?

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions

<65360D85.50489.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1549&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1549

From: ryan.fantus@VERT (Ryan Fantus)
To: Nightfox
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 21:35:47 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Ryan Fantus - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 04:35 UTC

Ni> Yes, though you can use a modern native program to zip and unzip the
Ni> archives. Only the actual game and its maintenance software would need
Ni> to be run in a DOS emulator. Why would you need to use the DOS pkunzip?

I'm pretty sure some of the interbbs games rely on using pkzip/pkunzip so it's not really an option.

In any case, the DPMI issue has a workaround so it is possible to use either in original dosemu if needed. :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/02/26 (Linux/64)
* Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (1:218/820)
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions

<653617EA.45727.dove-syncdisc@endofthelinebbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1550&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1550

From: nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS (nelgin)
To: Nightfox
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 01:51:22 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: nelgin - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:51 UTC

Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions
By: Nightfox to Gamgee on Sat Oct 21 2023 10:04:33

> TW2002 is really the only reason I wanted to update to dosemu2. I haven't
> really looked into the new features it adds over the original dosemu. I
> don't think the original dosemu is maintained anymore though, so it wouldn't
> receive any bug fixes etc..

There are other games like Yankee Trader that wont run under dosemu and, as you say, dosemu is not maintained whereas dosemu2 is actively maintained and the author has his good days. :) I have put together a package that contains pretty much everything you need to get dosemu2 working, including a bunch of dos tools, exe fixers and the like.

https://www.endofthelinebbs.com/dosemu2.tar.gz
There'a a https://www.endofthelinebbs.com/dosemu2.txt that has some more detail.

And Nightfox gets credit for putting most of this together. I tweaked things a bit and added some more stuff. All the files you're going to need to get dosemu2 running are there.

That said, I've reported issues where DOS programs work in a virtual environment that don't support /dev/kvm but not in those that do support /dev/kvm due to timing issues. The dosemu2 author will often help with patching such games.
---
■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com

Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions

<65361FB5.9428.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1551&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1551

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: nelgin
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 02:24:37 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 07:24 UTC

Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration instructions
By: nelgin to Nightfox on Mon Oct 23 2023 01:51 am

> > so it wouldn't receive any bug fixes etc..
>
> There are other games like Yankee Trader that wont run under dosemu and, as
> you say, dosemu is not maintained whereas dosemu2 is actively maintained and
> the author has his good days. :) I have put together a package that contains
> pretty much everything you need to get dosemu2 working, including a bunch of

there are always going to be doorgames that will run or won't run with this or that. the important thing is to cull the ones that arent worth it.

yankee trader isn't a popular doorgame with users and probably would only be on display for historical purposes where said users would pop in and exit quickly.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<65368817.69716.sync@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1552&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1552

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: NELGIN
Subject: Re: dosemu2 configuration
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:37:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Dumas Walker - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:37 UTC

> There are other games like Yankee Trader that wont run under dosemu and,

YT does work with dosemu in situations where you are running a dos bbs and
the bbs is running in the same dosemu session.

As we are talking specifically about Synchronet, I offer this only as an
aside.

* SLMR 2.1a * Shh! Be vewy qwiet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<65368817.69717.sync@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1553&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1553

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: MRO
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:39:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Dumas Walker - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:39 UTC

> yankee trader isn't a popular doorgame with users and probably would only be o
> display for historical purposes where said users would pop in and exit quickly

It is on my dos bbs. It and OOII are the only two doors where I have
routine players. TW2002 gets ignored, and the LORD players come and go.

* SLMR 2.1a * "Ummm, trouble with grammar have I? Yes!" --Yoda

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<65375DA0.9431.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1554&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1554

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 01:01:04 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 06:01 UTC

Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration
By: Dumas Walker to MRO on Mon Oct 23 2023 09:39 am

> > yankee trader isn't a popular doorgame with users and probably would only
> > be o
> > display for historical purposes where said users would pop in and exit
> > quickly
>
> It is on my dos bbs. It and OOII are the only two doors where I have
> routine players. TW2002 gets ignored, and the LORD players come and go.

yeah there's a few people that go to all the bbses and play ooii.
I had the author setup custom games on one of my bbses. we used to both run datastream bbs after the sysop died.

so why would yankee trader only work in dosemu if it is executed through a dos bbs?
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<65377EBF.45729.dove-syncdisc@endofthelinebbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1555&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1555

From: nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS (nelgin)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 03:22:23 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: nelgin - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 08:22 UTC

Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration
By: Dumas Walker to NELGIN on Mon Oct 23 2023 09:37:00

> YT does work with dosemu in situations where you are running a dos bbs and
> the bbs is running in the same dosemu session.

I think this is the first time anyone has brought up running a dos BBS under dosemu. I thought we were talking about synchronet here, or do I have to do a disclaimer for every possible sitution?
---
■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<6537CA2B.69720.sync@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1557&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1557

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: MRO
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 08:28:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Dumas Walker - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:28 UTC

> so why would yankee trader only work in dosemu if it is executed through a dos
> bs?

I have no idea about that one. I was actually shocked that it doesn't work
on dosemu on other systems.

Well, I take that back. Now that I think of it, I have "held" an older
version of dosemu so that it doesn't get upgraded. TW2002 works here under
it, too, so that could be the only reason I am able to get YT to work also.

I didn't try running YT under the newer version that TW2002 didn't work
with, so I cannot say for sure it does still work.

That is my bad.

* SLMR 2.1a * It ain't over, but the fat lady is clearing her throat.

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<6537CA2B.69721.sync@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1558&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1558

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: NELGIN
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 08:28:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Dumas Walker - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:28 UTC

> > YT does work with dosemu in situations where you are running a dos bbs and
> > the bbs is running in the same dosemu session.

> I think this is the first time anyone has brought up running a dos BBS under d
> emu. I thought we were talking about synchronet here, or do I have to do a dis
> aimer for every possible sitution?

No.

* SLMR 2.1a * Air pollution is a mist demeanor.

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<6538A1C5.9436.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1559&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1559

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: nelgin
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 00:04:05 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 05:04 UTC

Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration
By: nelgin to Dumas Walker on Tue Oct 24 2023 03:22 am

> I think this is the first time anyone has brought up running a dos BBS under
> dosemu. I thought we were talking about synchronet here, or do I have to do
> a disclaimer for every possible sitution?

there are sysops who run older bbs packages under synchronet as a door
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<65389CB5.80.dove-syncdisc@nerbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1561&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1561

From: ner@VERT/NERBBS (Ner)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 23:42:29 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Ner - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 04:42 UTC

Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration
By: Dumas Walker to NELGIN on Tue Oct 24 2023 08:28 am

To bring it back to Synchronet, I fonud that I had to make a change to dosemu with the latest and greatest of dosemu2 so that it wouldn't brint all kinds of dos info before running a door. Dosemu2 has a wrapper script which has a -quiet option. I placed what the quiet option does into dosemu.ini and all the junk went away. Command to add to dosemu.ini in the cmd key is
-tDE -exec 2>/dev/null

Otherwise, I get lots of bad for you dos banner stuff. If anyone has a better idea of how to do this without this stuff, let me know. All I know is that it works, every time, or has worked. I just got bre interbbs to work under dosemu2. If anyone would like those instructions, please let me know. It involves symbollic links and capitalization of directories. Again, it works, and that's all I care about.

NER

---
■ Synchronet ■ NER BBS: Accessibility for all

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<653F6239.45747.dove-syncdisc@endofthelinebbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1575&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1575

From: nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS (nelgin)
To: Ner
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 02:58:49 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: nelgin - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 07:58 UTC

Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration
By: Ner to Dumas Walker on Tue Oct 24 2023 23:42:29

> To bring it back to Synchronet, I fonud that I had to make a change to
> dosemu with the latest and greatest of dosemu2 so that it wouldn't brint all
> kinds of dos info before running a door. Dosemu2 has a wrapper script which
> has a -quiet option. I placed what the quiet option does into dosemu.ini and
> all the junk went away. Command to add to dosemu.ini in the cmd key is
> -tDE -exec 2>/dev/null

Are you using ubuntu and dosemu2 from ppa?
---
■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<6575967D.50765.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1651&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1651

From: nigel.reed@VERT (Nigel Reed)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 04:43:46 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Nigel Reed - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:43 UTC

Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration
By: Dumas Walker to NELGIN on Mon Oct 23 2023 09:37:00

> > There are other games like Yankee Trader that wont run under dosemu and,
>
> YT does work with dosemu in situations where you are running a dos bbs and
> the bbs is running in the same dosemu session.

Ok, there's the odd exception, but I would say the majority of Synchronet sysops are not running YT on a DOS version of Synchronet in dosemu :)

> As we are talking specifically about Synchronet, I offer this only as an
> aside.

Noted.
--- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
* Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (1:124/5016)
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<6575DFB5.69892.sync@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1652&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1652

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: NIGEL REED
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:23:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Dumas Walker - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 15:23 UTC

>Ok, there's the odd exception, but I would say the majority of Synchronet sysop
>are not running YT on a DOS version of Synchronet in dosemu :)

I would agree, although there was one fellow trying to get the last version
of DOS Synchronet running who was posting about it not too long ago. But,
yeah, he is probably in the minority. :D

* SLMR 2.1a * Don't be sexist. Broads hate that.

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<65765BB5.45957.dove-syncdisc@endofthelinebbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1657&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1657

From: nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS (nelgin)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 18:45:41 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: nelgin - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 00:45 UTC

Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration
By: Dumas Walker to NIGEL REED on Sun Dec 10 2023 10:23:00

> I would agree, although there was one fellow trying to get the last version
> of DOS Synchronet running who was posting about it not too long ago. But,
> yeah, he is probably in the minority. :D

Are you thinking of Mortafis? If so, he's no longer working on that project ;(
---
■ Synchronet ■ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<657669E2.48621.dove-syncdisc@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1661&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1661

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANTIR (Gamgee)
To: nelgin
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:45:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Gamgee - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 01:45 UTC

-=> nelgin wrote to Dumas Walker <=-

ne> Re: Re: dosemu2 configuration
ne> By: Dumas Walker to NIGEL REED on Sun Dec 10 2023 10:23:00

> I would agree, although there was one fellow trying to get the last version
> of DOS Synchronet running who was posting about it not too long ago. But,
> yeah, he is probably in the minority. :D

ne> Are you thinking of Mortafis? If so, he's no longer working on
ne> that project ;(

Probably referring to Hobo; he was running v2.30 on a Wyse thin-client
computer. Was a regular on IRC and then he wasn't... Not sure why.

.... Time flies like an arrow -- fruit flies like a banana.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: dosemu2 configuration

<65773604.69902.sync@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1662&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1662

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: NELGIN
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 11:05:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Dumas Walker - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:05 UTC

> > I would agree, although there was one fellow trying to get the last version
> > of DOS Synchronet running who was posting about it not too long ago. But,
> > yeah, he is probably in the minority. :D
> >

>Are you thinking of Mortafis? If so, he's no longer working on that project ;(

I don't remember the name, so it could have been. Sorry to hear that.

* SLMR 2.1a * Peter Steele and Armand, vampire -- separated at birth?

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP