From: ner@VERT (ner)
To: all
Subject: Unable to build release on debian 12, fix included
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 21:04:46 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: ner - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 04:04 UTC

Hi guys,
I'm new to running synchronet on Linux, and luckily I'm still in testing before
re-releasing my system in the Linux environment. I have no problems building
using the GNU Makefile
make install SYMLINK=1

The issue happens when I do a git pull, and follow instructions in the wiki for
updating.
I change directories into /sbbs/repo/src/sbbs3/
I ensure I run SBBSEXEC=/sbbs/exec
and SBBSCTRL=/sbbs/brsl
and then I run, as directed
make RELEASE=1 symlinks setcapH

In Debian, under debian 12, the following command works, and I think it has to
do with gmake being used. Can this be updated in the wiki?

make RELEASE=1 SYMLINK=1 SETCAP=1

I hope this helps.

NER

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Unable to build release on debian 12, fix included

<6528C336.50469.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1530&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1530

From: ner@VERT (ner)
To: all
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 21:10:30 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: ner - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 04:10 UTC

So I got make RELEASE=1 symlinks setcap
to work
setting the environment valiables using SBBSEXEC/sbbs/exec/
and SBBSCTRL=/sbbs/ctrl
does not work. You must run export to set these
export SBBSEXEC=/sbbs/exec
etc.

I'm not sure if this requires a wiki update but it might be able to be
clarified.

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: Unable to build release on debian 12, fix included

<65293FCE.48357.dove-syncdisc@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1531&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1531

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANTIR (Gamgee)
To: ner
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 07:52:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Gamgee - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:52 UTC

-=> ner wrote to all <=-

ne> So I got make RELEASE=1 symlinks setcap to work
ne> setting the environment valiables using SBBSEXEC/sbbs/exec/
ne> and SBBSCTRL=/sbbs/ctrl
ne> does not work. You must run export to set these
ne> export SBBSEXEC=/sbbs/exec
As expected. That's a normal Linux procedure, and is indeed documented
on the Wiki, right here:
https://wiki.synchro.net/install:nix#configuring

ne> I'm not sure if this requires a wiki update but it might be able
ne> to be clarified.

Seems clear already. Also, you generally don't need to use the SBBSEXEC
environment variable, just the SBBSCTRL.

.... Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Unable to build release on debian 12, fix included

<6529A818.28.dove-syncdisc@bbs.lizardmaster.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1533&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1533

From: the.lizard.master@VERT/NITEEYES (The Lizard Master)
To: ner
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:27:04 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: The Lizard Master - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 20:27 UTC

Re: Unable to build release on debian 12, fix included
By: ner to all on Thu Oct 12 2023 09:10 pm

> So I got make RELEASE=1 symlinks setcap
> to work
> setting the environment valiables using SBBSEXEC/sbbs/exec/
> and SBBSCTRL=/sbbs/ctrl
> does not work. You must run export to set these
> export SBBSEXEC=/sbbs/exec
> etc.
>
> I'm not sure if this requires a wiki update but it might be able to be
> clarified.

A lot of the issues I ever had with the environment variables is sovled with ln -sf. If you were getting something weird with the SBBSEXEC dir that might do it.

Something like -

sudo ln -sf ~/sbbs /

---
■ Synchronet ■ This is my tagline so I don't get any complaints when I post