From: fusion@VERT/CFBBS (fusion)
To: Ryan Fantus
Subject: Re: atexit compilation errors?
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 01:54:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: fusion - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 01:54 UTC

On 04 Sep 2023, Ryan Fantus said the following...
RF> BTW, how necessary is calling 'atexit' in OpenDoors? I commented out the
RF> line and compiled without `-shared` and it compiled fine. Wondering if
RF> it's truly needed, especially for linux x64?

atexit is a way to create a stack of functions that are called when a program
exits.

my guess is since it's a door library (and they don't necessarily control the program flow, the door programmed with it does) they want to ensure if the door game just abruptly decides to do exit(), odoors can at least clean up after itself.

the other option would be to make the door programmer responsible for it.. they'd call the atexit()-ed functions themselves when they're finishing up.

* Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi