From: ryan.fantus@VERT (Ryan Fantus)
To: All
Subject: atexit compilation errors?
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 02:10:13 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Ryan Fantus - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 09:10 UTC

Hey friends,

I've been trying to compile Synchronet addons in the sbbs git repo using modern Ubuntu, but have also tried 20.04, 22.04, 22.10, and Debian 12. The way to reproduce the error I'm dealing with is to go into the /sbbs/repo/src/odoors directory and type "make". It'll fail on the 'ex_chat' compilation with an atexit symbol error.

Anyone else find a way to deal with this, by chance? I'd really like to get some games to compile :)

Thanks!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/02/26 (Linux/64)
* Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (1:218/820)
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

atexit compilation errors?

<64F50A0F.50353.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1426&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1426

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Ryan Fantus
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 15:34:55 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 22:34 UTC

Re: atexit compilation errors?
By: Ryan Fantus to All on Sun Sep 03 2023 02:10 am

> I've been trying to compile Synchronet addons in the sbbs git repo using
> modern Ubuntu, but have also tried 20.04, 22.04, 22.10, and Debian 12. The
> way to reproduce the error I'm dealing with is to go into the
> /sbbs/repo/src/odoors directory and type "make". It'll fail on the 'ex_chat'
> compilation with an atexit symbol error.
>
> Anyone else find a way to deal with this, by chance? I'd really like to get
> some games to compile :)

The 'ex_chat' is just an example ODoors program. You could've just removed references to ex_chat from odoors/GNUmakefile, but it would've then failed to build the other examples too.

I added a fix (using the '-shared' option) for that issue, but I also observed that the build was failing to find the xpdev library. I added a hack for that (assume the build target is an x64 system). And even with that hack, I had to add "LD=gcc" to the make command-line, but it did work for me:

$ make LD=gcc
cc -fPIC -O2 -Llibs-Linux/ -I../xpdev -shared -Wall -DHAS_INTTYPES_H ex_vote.c ../xpdev/filewrap.c -o exe-Linux/ex_vote -lODoors -DMULTINODE_AWARE
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #121:
Synchronet v2.20a for DOS was released on Aug 31, 1995 (5 months after v2.11a)
Norco, CA WX: 76.9°F, 59.0% humidity, 10 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: atexit compilation errors?

<64F670E6.50354.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1427&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1427

From: ryan.fantus@VERT (Ryan Fantus)
To: Digital Man
Subject: Re: atexit compilation errors?
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 16:39:24 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Ryan Fantus - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 23:39 UTC

DM> The 'ex_chat' is just an example ODoors program. You could've just
DM> removed references to ex_chat from odoors/GNUmakefile, but it would've
DM> then failed to build the other examples too.

Yeah, and I'm finding some other games that rely on ODoors have the same problem (clans, for example).

DM> I added a fix (using the '-shared' option) for that issue, but I also
DM> observed that the build was failing to find the xpdev library. I added a
DM> hack for that (assume the build target is an x64 system). And even with
DM> that hack, I had to add "LD=gcc" to the make command-line, but it did
DM> work for me:

Thanks! I'll give this a whirl.

BTW, how necessary is calling 'atexit' in OpenDoors? I commented out the line and compiled without `-shared` and it compiled fine. Wondering if it's truly needed, especially for linux x64?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/02/26 (Linux/64)
* Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (1:218/820)
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

dovenet / Synchronet Discussion / Re: atexit compilation errors?