From: deon@VERT/ALTERANT (deon)
To: Digital Man
Subject: Improvements to email attachment downloads
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 12:16:01 +1000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: deon - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 02:16 UTC

Hey DM,

I'm using sychronet more for "bbs" related email, and I had a user send me an email with 10 screenshots (and thus 10 attachments).

Since I'm away from home, I dont have POP enabled, and leveraged a terminal to download the attachments to look at them. (That all worked well.)

However, after *each* attachment I was asked if I wanted to hangup after it being received. I also didnt know how many there were, and at one point I wondered if it was looping. (It wasnt.)

I wondered if it was possible to some changes, I was thinking these three things:
* Can all attachments be sent as a batch, thus one answer to "yes" that I want to download them, and one answer to "no" dont hangup.

* Is it possible to display how many (and I guess how big) the attachments are?

* If batch is not possible, can the ask to hangup be only asked once?

....δεσ∩

---
■ Synchronet ■ AnsiTEX bringing back videotex but with ANSI

Improvements to email attachment downloads

<64F407FD.50349.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1422&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1422

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: deon
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 21:13:49 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 04:13 UTC

Re: Improvements to email attachment downloads
By: deon to Digital Man on Sun Sep 03 2023 12:16 pm

> I wondered if it was possible to some changes

I created a gitlab issue for your request:
https://gitlab.synchro.net/main/sbbs/-/issues/613
--
digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #25:
Viv Savage: Have... a good... time... all the time. That's my philosophy.
Norco, CA WX: 71.4°F, 83.0% humidity, 1 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Improvements to email attachment downloads

<64F40C4F.9303.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1423&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1423

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: deon
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 23:32:15 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 04:32 UTC

Re: Improvements to email attachment downloads
By: deon to Digital Man on Sun Sep 03 2023 12:16 pm

> Hey DM,
>
> I'm using sychronet more for "bbs" related email, and I had a user send me
> an email with 10 screenshots (and thus 10 attachments).
>
> Since I'm away from home, I dont have POP enabled, and leveraged a terminal
> to download the attachments to look at them. (That all worked well.)
>
> However, after *each* attachment I was asked if I wanted to hangup after it

you might be the first sysop ever to get an email from a user with 10 screenshots/attachments. that's pretty much against email etiquette.

I would tell the guy to send one zip archive instead.

i think it's a decent idea to send it all as a batch but that's it.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

dovenet / Synchronet Discussion / Improvements to email attachment downloads