From: fusion@VERT/CFBBS (fusion)
To: Ebojager
Subject: Re: When Syncronet does the next update...
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 19:36:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: fusion - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 19:36 UTC

On 21 Aug 2023, Ebojager said the following...
Eb> Just curious how to request a feature for the next update ?
Eb> I know on my old Telegard BBS back in the day, during the registration
Eb> it would ask if the case was correct on your last name, for example
Eb> McBride vs Mcbride, and you would choose the case you wanted from a
Eb> list. Would be cool to have that feature added.

not sure how comfortable you are with custom stuff, but it should be possible to run a little baja script in place of the name input line..

in TEXT.DAT you would change 339 to @EXEC:GETNAME@

and then GETNAME.SRC would have some code to display the prompt, do GETSTR, check for Van, Mc, etc, and then UNGETSTR to place the result into the input.

then you would have to disable the stuff that enforces the case of the last name because your script would be doing it.

or just disable the automatic case enforcement of their name, skip all this
entirely and let them do it. it's their name after all ;)

* Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi

Re: When Syncronet does the next update...

<64E65FFB.450.dove-syncdisc@outland.synchronetbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1393&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1393

From: ebojager@VERT/OUTLAND (Ebojager)
To: fusion
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 12:37:31 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Ebojager - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 19:37 UTC

Re: Re: When Syncronet does the next update...
By: fusion to Ebojager on Mon Aug 21 2023 07:36 pm

Thank you, well dont have time to write a script for that, was just putting it out there for if there is another Synchronet BBS update, it might be worth adding in. Maybe I'll talk to Marisa, maybe she can add it, since she is hosting me :) Its not that big a deal as I only have one person like that and I can manually edit it, in UEDIT it looks like.

fu> not sure how comfortable you are with custom stuff, but it should be
fu> possible to run a little baja script in place of the name input line..

fu> in TEXT.DAT you would change 339 to @EXEC:GETNAME@

fu> and then GETNAME.SRC would have some code to display the prompt, do
fu> GETSTR, check for Van, Mc, etc, and then UNGETSTR to place the result into
fu> the input.

fu> then you would have to disable the stuff that enforces the case of the
fu> last name because your script would be doing it.

fu> or just disable the automatic case enforcement of their name, skip all
fu> this entirely and let them do it. it's their name after all ;)

---
■ Synchronet ■ Sent from OUTLAND BBS

Re: When Syncronet does the next update...

<64E693C0.9274.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1394&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1394

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Ebojager
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 18:18:24 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 23:18 UTC

Re: Re: When Syncronet does the next update...
By: Ebojager to fusion on Wed Aug 23 2023 12:37 pm

> Re: Re: When Syncronet does the next update...
> By: fusion to Ebojager on Mon Aug 21 2023 07:36 pm
>
> Thank you, well dont have time to write a script for that, was just putting
> it out there for if there is another Synchronet BBS update, it might be

people don't want that feature in synchronet.
part of running a bbs is modifying it to YOUR needs.
DM already gave you the code. you can put it right in there.

> worth adding in. Maybe I'll talk to Marisa, maybe she can add it, since she
> is hosting me :) Its not that big a deal as I only have one person like that

marisa is hosting you but they should not be obligated to mod your bbs.
you're using their free plan, right?
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: When Syncronet does the next update...

<64EFB4A1.469.dove-syncdisc@outland.synchronetbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1412&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1412

From: ebojager@VERT/OUTLAND (Ebojager)
To: MRO
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 14:29:05 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Ebojager - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 21:29 UTC

Re: Re: When Syncronet does the next update...
By: MRO to Ebojager on Wed Aug 23 2023 06:18 pm

MR> people don't want that feature in synchronet.
MR> part of running a bbs is modifying it to YOUR needs.
MR> DM already gave you the code. you can put it right in there.

>> worth adding in. Maybe I'll talk to Marisa, maybe she can add it,
>> since she is hosting me :) Its not that big a deal as I only have one
>> person like that

MR> marisa is hosting you but they should not be obligated to mod your bbs.
MR> you're using their free plan, right?
No Im paying monthly, and I thought it might be a helpful addition to Synchronet, but I guess now one wants it so nevermind, just trying to offer helpful suggestions, probably too late for that now since its 2023, haha. Only about 30years too late.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Sent from OUTLAND BBS

Re: When Syncronet does the next update...

<64EFC210.9293.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1413&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1413

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Ebojager
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 17:26:24 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 22:26 UTC

Re: Re: When Syncronet does the next update...
By: Ebojager to MRO on Wed Aug 30 2023 02:29 pm

> No Im paying monthly, and I thought it might be a helpful addition to
> Synchronet, but I guess now one wants it so nevermind, just trying to offer
> helpful suggestions, probably too late for that now since its 2023, haha.
> Only about 30years too late.

well in the past 3 years we have had a big decline of users.
not sure if they will come back, or if we get new ones.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: When Syncronet does the next update...

<64F03770.50341.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1414&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1414

From: conrad.candy.smith@VERT (Conrad Candy Smith)
To: MRO
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 02:43:48 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Conrad Candy Smith - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 06:43 UTC

MR> well in the past 3 years we have had a big decline of users.
MR> not sure if they will come back, or if we get new ones.

I'm a semi-new user!

-----------------------------------
user is generated from /dev/urandom

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
* Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (1:229/317)
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: When Syncronet does the next update...

<64F08F43.48227.dove-syncdisc@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1415&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1415

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANTIR (Gamgee)
To: Conrad Candy Smith
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 07:52:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Gamgee - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 12:52 UTC

-=> Conrad Candy Smith wrote to MRO <=-

MR> well in the past 3 years we have had a big decline of users.
MR> not sure if they will come back, or if we get new ones.

CCS> I'm a semi-new user!

With at least two names, apparently.

.... He does the work of 3 Men...Moe, Larry & Curly
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: When Syncronet does the next update...

<64F13093.9298.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1418&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1418

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Gamgee
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:30:11 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 00:30 UTC

Re: Re: When Syncronet does the next update...
By: Gamgee to Conrad Candy Smith on Thu Aug 31 2023 07:52 am

> -=> Conrad Candy Smith wrote to MRO <=-
>
> MR> well in the past 3 years we have had a big decline of users.
> MR> not sure if they will come back, or if we get new ones.
>
> CCS> I'm a semi-new user!
>
> With at least two names, apparently.

he visits different bbses. some require real names.
some force it for the subs.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

dovenet / Synchronet Discussion / Re: When Syncronet does the next update...