From: fusion@VERT/CFBBS (fusion)
To: Charles Blackburn
Subject: Re: old houses and wifi
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 09:35:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: fusion - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 09:35 UTC

On 17 Oct 2023, Charles Blackburn said the following...
CB> Re: Re: old houses and wifi
CB> By: MRO to all on Tue Oct 17 2023 02:27:56
CB>
CB> > By: MRO to Charles Blackburn on Sat Oct 14 2023 04:55 pm
CB>
CB> > then i'm out there running my wifi scanner app and i see how super satu
CB> > the area is due to the mini mansion next door that has a bunch of tenan
CB> > so i'm going to go with having a repeater near my front door.
CB> > I didn't always have this issue but it appears that my neighbors are ru
CB> > a lot of wifi devices.
CB>
CB> yea plus probably runnin whatever devices/routers they have at full
CB> power, yet if they dropped the power down a little their wifi would run
CB> even better as the APs
CB> aren't "Yelling" at each other.

we're basically having this exact conversation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5KALalvLXY

seems the whole channel has some good stuff

* Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi

Re: old houses and wifi

<65303E13.43.dove-internet@bbs.thefbo.us>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=120&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#120

From: charles.blackburn@VERT/THEFBO (Charles Blackburn)
To: fusion
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 16:20:35 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: Charles Blackburn - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 20:20 UTC

Re: Re: old houses and wifi
By: fusion to Charles Blackburn on Wed Oct 18 2023 09:35:00

> On 17 Oct 2023, Charles Blackburn said the following...
> CB> yea plus probably runnin whatever devices/routers they have at full
> CB> power, yet if they dropped the power down a little their wifi would run even better as the APs
> CB> aren't "Yelling" at each other.
> we're basically having this exact conversation:

<CUT>

never surprises me that most routers default to "full beans" ... but he is kinda wrong as well...

just because the wifi router is sending at 100mW and his phone only uses 20mW is not everything.... beleive me... 20mW is good enough to go at least 1/2 a mile with decent antennas.

there are so many reasons as to why a phone/device would be disconnecting from the AP and so forth. the main cause of stuff like this is interference from other routers/devices etc. if you sit and watch the video, he was like... "i forgot to turn on the second router/AP".... this was the reason why his phone kept disconnecting lol.

Charlie

---
■ Synchronet ■ The FBO BBS - IPV4/V6 - bbs.thefbo.us or bbs6.thefbo.us

Re: old houses and wifi

<6530E632.1563.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=122&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#122

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Charles Blackburn
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 03:17:54 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 08:17 UTC

Re: Re: old houses and wifi
By: Charles Blackburn to fusion on Wed Oct 18 2023 04:20 pm

> just because the wifi router is sending at 100mW and his phone only uses
> 20mW is not everything.... beleive me... 20mW is good enough to go at least
> 1/2 a mile with decent antennas.

are you saying a wifi router will transmit half a mile? NO way.

> from the AP and so forth. the main cause of stuff like this is interference
> from other routers/devices etc. if you sit and watch the video, he was
> like... "i forgot to turn on the second router/AP".... this was the reason
> why his phone kept disconnecting lol.

i just skimmed it mostly but he said when he turned on his other router that's when things improved when he went to the back yard. he has too many devices and needed to split it between the two routers. he also messed around with router 1 when experimenting before this issue and increased the transmit power and that didn't help.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: old houses and wifi

<6538A397.1578.dove-int@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=137&group=DOVE-Net.Internet#137

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: all
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 00:11:51 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Internet
 by: MRO - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 05:11 UTC

Re: Re: old houses and wifi
By: MRO to Charles Blackburn on Thu Oct 19 2023 03:17 am

> Re: Re: old houses and wifi
> By: Charles Blackburn to fusion on Wed Oct 18 2023 04:20 pm
>
> > just because the wifi router is sending at 100mW and his phone only uses
> > 20mW is not everything.... beleive me... 20mW is good enough to go at
> > least 1/2 a mile with decent antennas.
>

> are you saying a wifi router will transmit half a mile? NO way.
>
> > from the AP and so forth. the main cause of stuff like this is
> > interference from other routers/devices etc. if you sit and watch the
> > video, he was like... "i forgot to turn on the second router/AP".... this
> > was the reason why his phone kept disconnecting lol.
>
> i just skimmed it mostly but he said when he turned on his other router
> that's when things improved when he went to the back yard. he has too many
> devices and needed to split it between the two routers. he also messed
> around with router 1 when experimenting before this issue and increased the
> transmit power and that didn't help.

Well i got a cheap 35 dollar extender with good reviews.

It worked well for one camera but for the other one in the same vacinity it only gave it one bar.

i think it's my big metal door that blocks a lot. and damn there are a LOT of 2.4 wifi aps when i walk outside. so very congested here.

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::