From: fusion@VERT/CFBBS (fusion)
To: Digital Man
Subject: Re: kermit protocol in syncterm
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:19:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: fusion - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:19 UTC

On 18 Aug 2023, Digital Man said the following...
DM> Ymodem-G has almost 0 overhead, so (without compression or other
DM> cheats), it's really not possible for Kermit (the protocol) to be faster
DM> than Ymodem-G. And Zmodem is only a little slower than Ymodem-G.

i can't replicate this. i get 1.12MB/s sexyz to sexyz (syncterm) with zmodem and 0.86MB/s with ymodem-g sexyz to sexyz. certainly an improvement over mystic's but something is a bottleneck.

this is on an i7-3520M .. no spring chicken for sure. both transfers used 38-50% cpu during the transfer. (for comparison a 65MB/s transfer to the same machine uses 8%)

i can totally see gkermit outperforming ymodem-g.

* Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi

Re: kermit protocol in syncterm

<64E001EC.50291.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1364&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1364

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: fusion
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:42:36 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 23:42 UTC

Re: Re: kermit protocol in syncterm
By: fusion to Digital Man on Fri Aug 18 2023 05:19 pm

> On 18 Aug 2023, Digital Man said the following...
>
> DM> Ymodem-G has almost 0 overhead, so (without compression or other
> DM> cheats), it's really not possible for Kermit (the protocol) to be
> DM> faster than Ymodem-G. And Zmodem is only a little slower than Ymodem-G.
>
> i can't replicate this. i get 1.12MB/s sexyz to sexyz (syncterm) with zmodem
> and 0.86MB/s with ymodem-g sexyz to sexyz. certainly an improvement over
> mystic's but something is a bottleneck.
>
> this is on an i7-3520M .. no spring chicken for sure. both transfers used
> 38-50% cpu during the transfer. (for comparison a 65MB/s transfer to the
> same machine uses 8%)
>
> i can totally see gkermit outperforming ymodem-g.

YMODEM-G is a protocl. gkermit is a terminal transfer protocol driver. You're comparing apples and oranges. If you want to compare X/Y/ZMODEM protocol performance, you should be comparing with the reference X/Y/ZMODEM protocol implementation (rz/sz).
--
digital man (rob)

Rush quote #30:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast
Norco, CA WX: 88.7°F, 33.0% humidity, 10 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

dovenet / Synchronet Discussion / Re: kermit protocol in syncterm