From: paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 (paulie420)
To: Christian Sacks
Subject: Re: kermit protocol in sy
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:09:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: paulie420 - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:09 UTC

CS> Kermit is about 6 times faster than Zmodem for me =)
CS> It's working flawlessly, and I just wish every BBS now had Kermit.

Same here; I believe this has to do with current hardware, OS and softwares that we all run - neat that protocols perform differently 30 years later, but kermit flies for me over telnet/ssh in terminal.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
|08.........

Re: kermit protocol in sy

<64DFA958.84419.dove_sync@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1357&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1357

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: paulie420
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:24:40 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Nightfox - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:24 UTC

Re: Re: kermit protocol in sy
By: paulie420 to Christian Sacks on Thu Aug 17 2023 08:09 pm

CS>> Kermit is about 6 times faster than Zmodem for me =)
CS>> It's working flawlessly, and I just wish every BBS now had Kermit.

pa> Same here; I believe this has to do with current hardware, OS and
pa> softwares that we all run - neat that protocols perform differently 30
pa> years later, but kermit flies for me over telnet/ssh in terminal.

I think they're performing differently because we're using them on an internet connection rather than a serial/modem connection. File transfer protcools such as Kermit, X/Y/Zmodem etc. were designed for serial connections (with considerations for dialup modems) and as such, they were designed for raw data connections. But all the software that works with an internet connection uses network protocols such as TCP/IP & such, which already have software mechanisms for transferring data back & forth. As such, adding another file transfer protocol such as Zmodem or Kermit onto that is redundant. A file transfer protocol that has minimal overhead (which I think is true for Kermit) probably is faster over the internet than something like Zmodem.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

dovenet / Synchronet Discussion / Re: kermit protocol in sy