From: christian.sacks@VERT (Christian Sacks)
To: Digital Man
Subject: kermit protocol in syncterm
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:42:42 +0100
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Christian Sacks - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:42 UTC

On 17 Aug 2023, Digital Man said the following...
DM> And how fast is that? Is possible that the Qodem Zmodem implementation
DM> is just slower than its Kermit implementation?

Using Zmodem I'm getting about 850,000 cps or about 106KB/s (if my conversion is correct) locally using SyncTERM
Using Kermit I'm getting about 25,900,000 cps or about 3237KB/s (or 3.237MB/s) locally using qodem

Both were downloading the same 45MB file from my BBS.

DM> The suggestion was to try Ymodem-G. Ymodem should normally be much
DM> slower than Zmodem over any kind of decent transport due to its ack/nak
DM> nature.

Ymodem-G either is broken in mystic or SyncTERM and Mystic don't play well as it just locks up the terminal and doesn't do
anything until I force hang up. Ymodem (non -G) is ~same as Zmodem, maybe a little slower.

I just tried Regular Ymodem again and now that seems to be borking up too... hmm, might need to restart mystic maybe.

.... Some people have no idea what they're doing, and are really good at it!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Linux/64)
* Origin: thE qUAntUm wOrmhOlE, rAmsgAtE, uK. bbs.erb.pw (2:250/5)
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

kermit protocol in syncterm

<64DFAB06.50285.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1358&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1358

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Christian Sacks
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:31:50 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:31 UTC

Re: kermit protocol in syncterm
By: Christian Sacks to Digital Man on Fri Aug 18 2023 10:42 am

> On 17 Aug 2023, Digital Man said the following...
>
> DM> And how fast is that? Is possible that the Qodem Zmodem implementation
> DM> is just slower than its Kermit implementation?
>
> Using Zmodem I'm getting about 850,000 cps or about 106KB/s (if my
> conversion is correct) locally using SyncTERM
> Using Kermit I'm getting about 25,900,000 cps or about 3237KB/s (or
> 3.237MB/s) locally using qodem
>
> Both were downloading the same 45MB file from my BBS.
>
> DM> The suggestion was to try Ymodem-G. Ymodem should normally be much
> DM> slower than Zmodem over any kind of decent transport due to its ack/nak
> DM> nature.
>
> Ymodem-G either is broken in mystic or SyncTERM and Mystic don't play well
> as it just locks up the terminal and doesn't do
> anything until I force hang up. Ymodem (non -G) is ~same as Zmodem, maybe a
> little slower.
>
> I just tried Regular Ymodem again and now that seems to be borking up too...
> hmm, might need to restart mystic maybe.

Maybe test with a different BBS software or different protocol driver on the BBS side?

Ymodem-G has almost 0 overhead, so (without compression or other cheats), it's really not possible for Kermit (the protocol) to be faster than Ymodem-G. And Zmodem is only a little slower than Ymodem-G.

So any major speed difference you're seeing (and reporting here) are due to the *implementation* of the protocol on either the sending or receiving side, and not the protocol itself.
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #24:
DOVE = Domain/Vertrauen
Norco, CA WX: 78.8°F, 56.0% humidity, 4 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net