From: fusion@VERT/CFBBS (fusion)
To: Nelgin
Subject: Re: You find a USB stick on the ground in public, what do you do?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 23:48:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: fusion - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 23:48 UTC

On 18 Sep 2023, Nelgin said the following...
Ne> 8. Plug it into a spare, non-internet connected computer without a hard
Ne> drive running Linux from a CD with a BIOS likely too old to be
Ne> infectable. :) ---

there's lots of creepy stuff that maybe hasn't been done yet.. for example a usb-c device that pretended to be a monitor could be fed everything you do.. assuming you managed to put the pc into 'mirror mode' .. something you might be able to automate by also making the usb stick include a keyboard/mouse
controller.. at that point you could probably create something to remotely control the computer too. a non-savvy user might choose mirror mode on their own just to avoid losing windows to the invisible desktop lol

* Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi

Re: You find a USB stick on the ground in public, what do you do?

<65199D1F.2051.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=133&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#133

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: fusion
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 16:23:59 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 16:23 UTC

Re: Re: You find a USB stick on the ground in public, what do you do?
By: fusion to Nelgin on Mon Sep 18 2023 23:48:00

fu> there's lots of creepy stuff that maybe hasn't been done yet.. for example
fu> a usb-c device that pretended to be a monitor could be fed everything you
fu> do.. assuming you managed to put the pc into 'mirror mode' .. something
fu> you might be able to automate by also making the usb stick include a
fu> keyboard/mouse controller.. at that point you could probably create
fu> something to remotely control the computer too. a non-savvy user might
fu> choose mirror mode on their own just to avoid losing windows to the
fu> invisible desktop lol

There's lots of creepy stuff that *has* been done. You can do an HID as well as small storage and even a wireless network adapter. If the device being plugged into is unlocked, and you know the OS in question, there's quite a bit you can do.

For a system I had concerns about, I actually wanted to have a second sealed system with only a serial interface externally with a write-only log to at least track any potential security issues... But, what could go wrong with systems running windows, software that has plain text database passwords available to non-admin accounts and ballot PDF files that aren't even cryptographically signed. And so what if these systems were actually deployed on systems that aren't the systems tested on... and no big deal if configurations were changed the night before and morning of the election...

"Most secure election in US history."

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com