From: paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 (paulie420)
To: Tracker1
Subject: Re: Which VPN?
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 17:56:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: paulie420 - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 17:56 UTC

Tr> pa> Xfinity (attempts to) snoops so badly that they send a letter with th
Tr> pa> title of what you downloaded! Something to the effect of (from memory
Tr>
Tr> That's not Xfinity, it's because that's what the DMCA notice they
Tr> recieved says you are/were downloading. The ISP receives a DMCA notice
Tr> from the agency representing the copyright holder. What happens from
Tr> there will vary slightly, but in the US at least they are required by
Tr> law to notify you, and if you don't stop seeding/feeding/uploading, or
Tr> send an otherwise legal atestation that it isn't a fact, they are
Tr> required to cut you aff.

Ah; thanks for the distinction - Xfinity is the person I get the letters from, tho... I know that bit.

I've only recieved two - one when I was dumb and one just after I moved and didn't have opsec in place.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
|08.........

Re: Which VPN?

<64AD7A6B.386.dove-hwswhelp@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=21&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#21

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (Phigan)
To: paulie420
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 08:51:07 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Phigan - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 15:51 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: paulie420 to Tracker1 on Sun Jul 09 2023 05:56 pm

> Ah; thanks for the distinction - Xfinity is the person I get the letters fro
> tho... I know that bit.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was suspecting is happening. Xfinity COULD just hand
over your info to those "authorized by IP holders" people (I call them
lawyers), but instead they send you a letter that they got a DMCA notice.

I'm still thinking _they_ don't actually check your torrent traffic.

Not that some/other ISPs don't!

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io