From: roc@VERT/BEERS20 (Roc)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Subject: Re: Looking for a box
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 06:03:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Pro-Audio
 by: Roc - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 06:03 UTC

pF> My tinnitus is so bad, I could plug in a Fisher Price turntable and find
pF> it enjoyable. :)

I'm sad to hear that (pun intended) but keep in mind hearing does only get worse with age.

I suggest getting good headphones (Sennheiser HD600 is my pick) while you still have some ears to enjoy them with.

pF> I've seen some USB audio devices, maybe a cheap one would suffice?

For a line-out, pretty much any will work as long as they support usb audio class (i.e. standard, doesn't require vendor-specific drivers).

For a headphone-out, it's more complicated as amplification (not just gain, but ability to provide current to the headphones) is needed, and generic usb sound adapters are _nasty_ at that.

Schiit Fulla or HEL is generic advice in the US.

Else, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/ is my go-to for measurement-driven, objective reviews.

.... History repeats itself because nobody listens