From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: WX1AW Active for 2023 SKYWARN??? Recognition Day
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:41:20 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:41 UTC

12/01/2023

As part of the celebrations for SKYWARN¿ Recognition Day (SRD) on December 2,
2023, hams will be on the air as WX1AW from the ARRL¿ Radio Laboratory station,
W1HQ. ARRL Director of Emergency Management Josh Johnston, KE5MHV, and other
amateurs plan to be on the air for several hours Saturday morning and midday.

The event honors all SKYWARN storm spotters and amateur radio operators for
their contributions to the National Weather Service (NWS) during severe
weather. Amateur radio operators also provide vital communication to the NWS
and emergency management teams in other instances when normal communications
fail.

"SKYWARN is a perfect example of an opportunity for hams to provide situational
awareness for our communities during severe weather. We are happy to
participate with our partners at the NWS and look forward to continuing the
service provided by amateur radio operators around the country," said Johnston.

For those interested in participating in the operating event, the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)[1] website is updated with the
SKYWARN registration form, mapping form, rules, and information.

SRD was developed in 1999 by the NWS and ARRL. On SRD amateur stations exchange
contact information with as many NWS stations as possible on 80, 40, 20, 15,
10, and 6 meters, plus the 2-meter and 70-centimeter bands. Contacts made via
repeaters are also permitted. Non-amateur radio spotters can exchange
information with NWS offices using social media. To learn how to become a
trained NOAA storm spotter, visit Spotter Training (weather.gov)[2].

To receive a QSL card from WX1AW, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope
to:

W1AW
225 Main Street
Newington, CT 06111

Contacts will also be confirmed on the ARRL LoTW¿ web-based database and
repository.

[1] https://www.weather.gov/crh/skywarnrecognition?fbclid=IwAR1UNO0LepJtMvU_YhcuwWUf3eZ6Hd-iMFVYQ-kssXYEDrnH522kOkkWPTI
[2] https://www.weather.gov/pdt/spotterTraining

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS