From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: ARRL Hails FCC Action to Remove Symbol Rate Restrictions
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:40:59 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:40 UTC

11/13/2023

ARRL  The National Association for Amateur Radio[1]¿ reports that earlier
today, the FCC Commissioners unanimously voted to amend the Amateur Radio
Service rules to replace the baud rate limit on the amateur HF bands with a 2.8
kHz bandwidth limit to permit greater flexibility in data communications.

"The Federal Communications Commission today adopted[2] to incentivize
innovation and experimentation in the amateur radio bands by removing outdated
restrictions and providing licensees with the flexibility to use modern digital
emissions," announced[3] the FCC.

"Specifically, we remove limitations on the symbol rate (also known as baud
rate) -- the rate at which the carrier waveform amplitude, frequency, and/or
phase is varied to transmit information -- applicable to data emissions in
certain amateur bands," concluded the FCC Report and Order and Further Notice
of Proposed Rulemaking[4] (DA/FCC # FCC-23-93; WT Docket No. 16-239) adopted
November 13, 2023. "The amateur radio community can play a vital role in
emergency response communications, but is often unnecessarily hindered by the
baud rate limitations in the rules."

Consistent with ARRL's request, the amended rules will replace the current HF
restrictions with a 2.8 kHz bandwidth limit. "We agree with ARRL that a 2.8
kilohertz bandwidth limitation will allow for additional emissions currently
prohibited under the baud rate limitations while providing sufficient
protections in the shared RTTY/data subbands," concluded the FCC Report and
Order.

ARRL President Rick Roderick, K5UR, hailed the FCC's action to remove the
symbol rate restrictions. Roderick stated that "this action will measurably
facilitate the public service communications that amateurs step up to provide,
especially at times of natural disasters and other emergencies such as during
the hurricane season. Digital technology continues to evolve, and removing the
outmoded data restrictions restores the incentive for radio amateurs to
continue to experiment and develop more spectrum-efficient protocols and
methods while the 2.8 kHz bandwidth limit will help protect the shared nature
of our bands. We thank Congresswoman [Debbie] Lesko (AZ-08) for her efforts on
behalf of all amateurs to get these restrictions removed."

In a Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (FNPRM), the FCC proposes to
eliminate similar restrictions where they apply in other bands. "We propose to
remove the baud rate limitation in the 2200-meter band and 630-meter band...
and in the very-high frequency (VHF) bands and the ultra-high frequency (UHF)
bands. Additionally, we seek comment on the appropriate bandwidth limitation
for the 2200-meter band, the 630-meter band, and the VHF/UHF bands." ARRL has
previously expressed its support for eliminating the symbol rate limits in
favor of bandwidth limits where they apply on the VHF and UHF bands but
suggested that the bandwidth limits themselves be reviewed in light of today's
technology and tomorrow's possibilities. Similarly, when eliminating the baud
limits on the 2200- and 630-meter bands, consideration should be given to what,
if any, bandwidth limits are appropriate.

The new rules will become effective 30 days after being published in the
Federal Register[5]. The FCC will announce a period for public comment on the
additional proposed changes based upon publication of the FNPRM in the Federal
Register. No date has been set for publication.

[1] https://www.arrl.org/
[2] https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-amends-amateur-radio-rules-greater-flexibility
[3] https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-adopts-rules-modernizing-amateur-radio-service-foster-innovation
[4] https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-amends-amateur-radio-rules-greater-flexibility
[5] https://www.federalregister.gov/

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS