From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: Celebrating 50 Years of the ARRL Foundation
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 17:56:46 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 17:56 UTC

09/22/2023

Thursday, September 21, 2023, marked 50 years since the ARRL Foundation was
formed. As a partner with ARRL, the ARRL Foundation stewards philanthropic
support for amateur radio through scholarships[1], club grants[2], and other
programs to ensure a strong and vibrant future for the avocation.

The total assets of the nonprofit entity measured nearly $8M at its most recent
annual audit[3], but it grew from humble beginnings. In September 1973, several
members of the ARRL Board of Directors worked to establish the charity. Larry
Shima, W0PAN, was the Director of the ARRL Dakota Division at the time and did
a lot of work to get the Foundation started. Shima is very pleased with the
Foundation's success, stating, "We started off with $1,000, and just look at it
now!"

Shima says the original intent was to support future generations of radio
amateurs. At the time, space and satellite communications were cutting-edge,
and they were the focus of ARRL Foundation activities, though scholarships were
also high on the list. "I was thrilled when I got the recent issue of QST that
had the photos of the scholarship recipients in it. That is exactly what it was
intended to do; we wanted to provide scholarships for young people," he said.

Gifts from generous donors support The ARRL Foundation, but it also works to
help other charitable groups extend their reach. In an address to donors
delivered over the summer, ARRL Foundation President David Norris, K5UZ,
highlighted a recent grant the Foundation received. "The recent support the
Foundation has received from Amateur Radio Digital Communications, or ARDC, has
been transformational. We have been able to dramatically increase the funding
of scholarships through their generosity and are working through a program of
club grants, where more than $500,000 was distributed to clubs looking to take
on new projects or sustain their organizations - and to share their learning
with others," he told the crowd.

Shima was just 35 when the ARRL Foundation was formed. He is the only surviving
founding member of the Foundation Board. Fifty years later, he believes that
hams who have done well in life have an obligation to support amateur radio by
giving generously to ARRL and the ARRL Foundation.  Ongoing financial support
enables ARRL to promote and protect amateur radio while our Foundation supports
the future generations of hams.

That generous support will have a tangible reach. More than 100 scholarships,
ranging from $500 to $25,000, will be awarded in 2024. Thank you to the many
donors for making this work possible, and congratulations to the numerous
scholarship recipients who have benefited from their generosity.

To learn more about the ARRL Foundation, please visit the Foundation website at
http://www.arrl.org/the-arrl-foundation[4]. To learn how to make amateur radio
a part of your charitable giving, contact the ARRL Development Office at
http://www.arrl.org/contact-us[5].

[1] http://www.arrl.org/scholarship-program
[2] http://www.arrl.org/club-grant-program
[3] http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ARRL%20Foundation/2023/ARRL20Inc20PDF20Financial202022%20FINAL.pdf
[4] http://www.arrl.org/the-arrl-foundation
[5] http://www.arrl.org/contact-us

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS