From: brian.rogers@VERT/CARNAGE (Brian Rogers)
To: Daryl Stout
Subject: Re: Various Things
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 13:11:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Brian Rogers - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 17:11 UTC

Daryl;

-=> Daryl Stout wrote to Brian Rogers <=-

DS> After the big meal at lunch (H.A.M. stands for "Have Another Meal",
DS> and you don't call us "Late For Dinner"), I don't have the appetite to
DS> eat the rest of the day. Plus, in the evenings, I'm usually doing
DS> traffic nets.

After the disaster last night, I almost didn't want to eat at all today. A
station in italy decided to link his NNTP with global Usenet. The profanity
and non-ham calls was in the hundreds and went around the globe in seconds
due to internet forwarding! They seem to think that it's OK to "experiment"
even though thousands of licenses were put at risk (and still are!). It
only confirms my decision NOT to renew. The offender not once apologized!
Instead he tried to fault other softwares. This sort of mentality is not
appreciated or desired and I don't have to put up with it. I have a choice to
leave ham radio and I shall do so.

DS> It'd be my luck that guns would rise out of the monitor, and fire on
DS> me. :P

After what I had to do the past 24 hours, that'd be welcomed!

DS> I loved those original James Bond movies...the one I remember most
DS> (and for its theme music) was "Live And Let Die".

That's my favorite Moore era film. Diamonds are Forever is one of my all-time
favorite Bond films. Connery had a great line in there when he said to Jill
St. John when she switched hair color and she asked if he approved he said
"As long as the collar and cuffs match..." <BEG>

DS> I got my share of spankings growing up, and I consider myself better
DS> for it.

I believe when I was a kid, my mom used my butt to justify getting new pots
and pans <G> When I was in my teens she became one of those earlobe twisters
until that one day when she went one twist too far. She grabbed and twisted
twice over and I stood my ground. She went for a 3rd twist and I quickly
reached out and grabbed HER earlobe and gave it 3 quick twists to match.
She tried to maintain being mad and hide the pain but my hysterical laughter
at the situation at hand was too much. The stand-off lasted a good 20 minutes
and was the last time Wyatt Earp fired lobe twisters at me <G>

DS> Years ago, a DJ known as "Brother Hal Webber" was on KLRA (that
DS> station has since changed owners and format from country-western to
DS> Spanish), and it ounded
DS> like a guy in his 80s at the mic...but he was only in his 30s. The
DS> thing is, if you wanted air time for commercials on his show, you had
DS> to buy time on all the others as well. But, except for news/talk in the
DS> morning and afternoon, most ll
DS> the local talent is gone from radio.

We had a guy in the market named Bob Steele. He *was* in his 80s and had
ratings unheard of in the nation! No one wanted to go up against him in the
AM Drive timeslot. I worked WITH him as an intern only 5 years later to have
a show against him. He was on a 50,000w flame thrower, and I was on a 500w
daytimer. 6 months going head to head and I beat him my 1/10th of a point! The
reward was to get passed over for 3 promotions in a row. I quit shortly there
after.

DS> I've bought stuff from Amazon in the past, but don't need to now
DS> (never mind I can't afford it). I've heard some hams refer to
DS> themselves as "D-Star Poor"...they have so many rigs. <G>

I won't buy a digital radio ever again. D-star I have 0 use for... same
with DMR or Fusion. In fact, I wrote the league today after getting the latest
copy of Q-Street and told them to please NOT send it to me. I'm not at all a
fan of Newington, I know more honest people in the DC swamp!

I sent your Ham_Humor.pdf out to a couple of my support lists with credit
to you. Expect tomatos your way <G>

.... Books: "Increase Your Brain Power"....by Sarah Bellum
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � SBBS - Carnage! *73 de N1URO* bbs.n1uro.com:2300

Re: Various Things

<60CBC575.575.dove-2015@tbolt.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=114&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#114

From: daryl.stout@VERT/TBOLT (Daryl Stout)
To: Brian Rogers
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 09:44:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Daryl Stout - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 14:44 UTC

Brian,

BR> softwares. This sort of mentality is not appreciated or desired and I
BR> don't have to put up with it. I have a choice to leave ham radio and I
BR> shall do so.

There was an individual who swore he would NOT wear a mask because of the
COVID-19 restrictions, at a license exam session. So, I quoted section F of
Part 97 to him, told the faculty advisor, and the individual was promptly
removed from the list server. There are too many people in the world and in
hobbies who feel that rules are made to be broken, and that those rules do
not apply to them. Stuff like that leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth,
and when a hobby doesn't become enjoyable anymore, it's time to quit.

BR> After what I had to do the past 24 hours, that'd be welcomed!

No one signed up for the test session by the 48 hour advance deadline for
a session on Saturday, so I canceled it, and it got rescheduled. I posted
that if we don't get anyone to sign up for the next one, we're going to take
a hard look at whether we need to do exams at all. It's ironic that the only
time that folks seem to be interested in taking a license exam is right
before the Question Pool changes. Several years ago, an examinee came in,
and failed the Technician exam miserably. It turned out that his study guide
was 2 pools (eight years) out of date!!

BR> That's my favorite Moore era film. Diamonds are Forever is one of my
BR> all-time favorite Bond films. Connery had a great line in there when he
BR> said to Jill St. John when she switched hair color and she asked if he
BR> approved he said "As long as the collar and cuffs match..." <BEG>

The scene I remember was him in the small plane coming out of the hangar,
and the thugs close the doors on him. He grumbles "Holy $***". <G> I can't
recall who did the theme, but I always thought that was cool.

BR> I believe when I was a kid, my mom used my butt to justify getting new
BR> pots and pans <G> When I was in my teens she became one of those
BR> earlobe twisters until that one day when she went one twist too far.

Never mind "I heard that". <G>

BR> We had a guy in the market named Bob Steele. He *was* in his 80s and
BR> had ratings unheard of in the nation! No one wanted to go up against
BR> him in the AM Drive timeslot. I worked WITH him as an intern only 5
BR> years later to have a show against him. He was on a 50,000w flame
BR> thrower, and I was on a 500w daytimer. 6 months going head to head and
BR> I beat him my 1/10th of a point! The reward was to get passed over for
BR> 3 promotions in a row. I quit shortly there after.

There is a Bob Steele in the Little Rock market, but he's much younger.

BR> I won't buy a digital radio ever again. D-star I have 0 use for... same
BR> with DMR or Fusion. In fact, I wrote the league today after getting the
BR> latest copy of Q-Street and told them to please NOT send it to me. I'm
BR> not at all a fan of Newington, I know more honest people in the DC
BR> swamp!

They sent out a big email deal to Life Members the other day, wanting
them to confirm their details. Since I'm a Life Member of ARRL (also of
QCWA, PCARS, and Handi-Hams), I got one, and called to see if the email
was legitimate. They had to address that in this weeks ARRL Letter.

BR> I sent your Ham_Humor.pdf out to a couple of my support lists with
BR> credit to you. Expect tomatos your way <G>

You must've been a fan of Shakespeare's groundlings. <G> I could go
for a good salad right now, though. :)

Yet, I trust you DID get laughs from the stuff...especially "The
Missing Q Signals". <BG>

Daryl

.... For a transcript; get a piece of paper, and write fast!
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas

Re: Various Things

<60CC2C94.154.dove-ham@bbs.n1uro.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=115&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#115

From: brian.rogers@VERT/CARNAGE (Brian Rogers)
To: Daryl Stout
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 18:17:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Brian Rogers - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 22:17 UTC

Hello Daryl;

-=> Daryl Stout wrote to Brian Rogers <=-

DS> There was an individual who swore he would NOT wear a mask because of
DS> the COVID-19 restrictions, at a license exam session. So, I quoted
DS> section F of Part 97 to him, told the faculty advisor, and the
DS> individual was promptly removed from the list server. There are too
DS> many people in the world and in hobbies who feel that rules are made to
DS> be broken, and that those rules do not apply to them. Stuff like that
DS> leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth, and when a hobby doesn't become
DS> enjoyable anymore, it's time to quit.

I've been wanting to get out for years but packet folk won't let me! Now I'm
back into the NTS nets and FTNs which I'm enjoying a LOT more. About 8 months
ago I did put all my gear up for sale. No takers.

DS> No one signed up for the test session by the 48 hour advance deadline
DS> for a session on Saturday, so I canceled it, and it got rescheduled. I
DS> posted that if we don't get anyone to sign up for the next one, we're
DS> going to take a hard look at whether we need to do exams at all. It's
DS> ironic that the only time that folks seem to be interested in taking a
DS> license exam is right before the Question Pool changes. Several years
DS> ago, an examinee came in, and failed the Technician exam miserably. It
DS> turned out that his study guide was 2 pools (eight years) out of date!!

That shouldn't at all be surprising... you know how fast government works.
As I said to one ham... feel lucky you're not 13 and they're controlling your
puberty <G>

DS> The scene I remember was him in the small plane coming out of the
DS> hangar, and the thugs close the doors on him. He grumbles "Holy $***".
<G> I can't recall who did the theme, but I always thought that was cool.

Sir Paul McCartney and Wings (speaking of planes).

DS> Never mind "I heard that". <G>

So says Paul from Verizon :P~

DS> There is a Bob Steele in the Little Rock market, but he's much
DS> younger.

I would hope so! Ours has been lawn fertilzer for a good number of years now.

DS> They sent out a big email deal to Life Members the other day, wanting
DS> them to confirm their details. Since I'm a Life Member of ARRL (also of
DS> QCWA, PCARS, and Handi-Hams), I got one, and called to see if the email
DS> was legitimate. They had to address that in this weeks ARRL Letter.

Why do they have "life members"? Don't they realize you can get hit by a car
tomorrow? <G> In fact, I fired off a lovely nasty to Newington yesterday
telling them to stuff their QST rag elsewhere I don't want it. Funny, I never
got a confirmation reply LOL

DS> You must've been a fan of Shakespeare's groundlings. <G> I could go
DS> for a good salad right now, though. :)

I can't do salads... used to but they don't sit properly with me.

DS> Yet, I trust you DID get laughs from the stuff...especially "The
DS> Missing Q Signals". <BG>

Yes I did.. and shared it with a few others who liked the laffs!

.... Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � SBBS - Carnage! *73 de N1URO* bbs.n1uro.com:2300

Re: Various Things

<60CCC49D.578.dove-2015@tbolt.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=118&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#118

From: daryl.stout@VERT/TBOLT (Daryl Stout)
To: Brian Rogers
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 04:03:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Daryl Stout - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 09:03 UTC

Brian,

BR> I've been wanting to get out for years but packet folk won't let me!
BR> Now I'm back into the NTS nets and FTNs which I'm enjoying a LOT more.
BR> About 8 months ago I did put all my gear up for sale. No takers.

So many want something for nothing...then they'll turn around and want
money for it.

BR> That shouldn't at all be surprising... you know how fast government
BR> works. As I said to one ham... feel lucky you're not 13 and they're
BR> controlling your puberty <G>

That's probably coming...I don't believe I just went there. <EG>

BR> Sir Paul McCartney and Wings (speaking of planes).

That's the one!! Thanks...I'm not a fan of rock music, but I really
did like that one. Now, I think of the tagline...Baud, James Baud...
agent 300...he did things slowly and deliberately. <G>

BR> So says Paul from Verizon :P~

I have their Mi-Fi, for when I do a demo of "internet radio" or to
show off my telnet BBS. On a train trip several years ago, I was doing
nets from the Sleeping Car compartment.

BR> I would hope so! Ours has been lawn fertilzer for a good number of
BR> years now.

I think I saw a ham with a similar name as mine in New England.

BR> Why do they have "life members"? Don't they realize you can get hit by
BR> a car tomorrow? <G> In fact, I fired off a lovely nasty to Newington
BR> yesterday telling them to stuff their QST rag elsewhere I don't want
BR> it. Funny, I never got a confirmation reply LOL

In Canada, your license is good for 125 years since your birth year...
technically a life license. In the US, it's only good for 10 years. Still
no word from the Friendly Candy Company <G> on the $35 fee.

BR> I can't do salads... used to but they don't sit properly with me.

I can handle iceberg lettuce, but not romaine or leaf.

BR> Yes I did.. and shared it with a few others who liked the laffs!

Too little to laugh at nowadays.

BR> Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.

How about this tagline??

Daryl, WX4QZ

.... Streakers, Repant!! Your end is in sight!!
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas

Re: Various Things

<60CD46F4.158.dove-ham@bbs.n1uro.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=119&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#119

From: brian.rogers@VERT/CARNAGE (Brian Rogers)
To: Daryl Stout
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 14:19:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Brian Rogers - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 18:19 UTC

Hello Daryl;

-=> Daryl Stout wrote to Brian Rogers <=-

DS> So many want something for nothing...then they'll turn around and
DS> want money for it.

I've actually been called a communist because I don't charge for my software!
I don't believe in a monetary exchange for my developer's work in the hobby.
There are those who do and those who collect somewhat of a salary but I
refuse. It keeps me honest and I believe keeps the integrity up there too.
It also keeps the greed factor out! I've seen good coders get greedy and then
the quality goes down the jpole.

DS> That's probably coming...I don't believe I just went there. <EG>

If government is involved it's NOT <BEG>

DS> That's the one!! Thanks...I'm not a fan of rock music, but I really
DS> did like that one. Now, I think of the tagline...Baud, James Baud...
DS> agent 300...he did things slowly and deliberately. <G>

LOL! I told someone your H.A.M. line, she died laughing!

DS> I have their Mi-Fi, for when I do a demo of "internet radio" or to
DS> show off my telnet BBS. On a train trip several years ago, I was doing
DS> nets from the Sleeping Car compartment.

Nets from a Sleeping Car compartment?... was it "fish"nets? <G>

DS> I think I saw a ham with a similar name as mine in New England.

Tons of people share my name. One is a UFC fighter, guess my name packs some
punch :P~

DS> In Canada, your license is good for 125 years since your birth
DS> year... technically a life license. In the US, it's only good for 10
DS> years. Still no word from the Friendly Candy Company <G> on the $35
DS> fee.

It's enacted... Pae insured to screw us all prior to leaving. My view is;
If I have to *pay* to use FREE airwaves then I want *full* privs! That may
happen... when Obama/Clintons/FBI/etc goes to prison.

DS> I can handle iceberg lettuce, but not romaine or leaf.

I can handle it fine... fondle, shread, wash it... <G>

DS> Too little to laugh at nowadays.

Thats why I enjoy making memes and with what's going on in the sludge/swamp
the targets are just too easy.

DS> How about this tagline??
DS> ... Streakers, Repant!! Your end is in sight!!

Streakers tan more evenly <EG>

.... Bagpipers do it with amazing grace
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � SBBS - Carnage! *73 de N1URO* bbs.n1uro.com:2300

Re: Various Things

<60CE41C3.581.dove-2015@tbolt.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=120&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#120

From: daryl.stout@VERT/TBOLT (Daryl Stout)
To: Brian Rogers
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 06:52:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Daryl Stout - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 11:52 UTC

Brian,

BR> I've actually been called a communist because I don't charge for my
BR> software! I don't believe in a monetary exchange for my developer's
BR> work in the hobby. There are those who do and those who collect
BR> somewhat of a salary but I refuse. It keeps me honest and I believe
BR> keeps the integrity up there too. It also keeps the greed factor out!
BR> I've seen good coders get greedy and then the quality goes down the
BR> jpole.

Sean Dennis, KS4TD, does "Cheepware" and runs Micronet. He doesn't charge
for his software either.

DS> That's probably coming...I don't believe I just went there. <EG>

BR> If government is involved it's NOT <BEG>

And, they didn't do it on the sperm of the moment...but they are the
cream of the crop. <EG> I think the heat outside has gotten to me, and
I'm having an A.A.A.D.D. flareup (BTW, I've forwarded that to several
folks, and they love it <G>).

BR> LOL! I told someone your H.A.M. line, she died laughing!

Was she a toon?? :P I've heard on numerous nets, when one tells what
they were doing for dinner, a ham keys up, and says "What's your address??
I'll be right over". <G>

BR> Nets from a Sleeping Car compartment?... was it "fish"nets? <G>

The one net I remember doing was via CQ100...while I was in, then
leaving St. Louis, on the way back to Little Rock on Amtrak.

BR> Tons of people share my name. One is a UFC fighter, guess my name packs
BR> some punch :P~

Is it Hawaiian?? Back to the grass skirts again. <G>

BR> It's enacted... Pae insured to screw us all prior to leaving. My view
BR> is; If I have to *pay* to use FREE airwaves then I want *full* privs!
BR> That may happen... when Obama/Clintons/FBI/etc goes to prison.

The Good Lord gave me another poem last night..."They Get What They
Deserved". The world looks at that as "Karma", but you know what they say
about paybacks. <G>

BR> I can handle it fine... fondle, shread, wash it... <G>

ERROR: ORG.ASM not found. Fondle any key to retry.

DS> How about this tagline??
DS> ... Streakers, Repant!! Your end is in sight!!

BR> Streakers tan more evenly <EG>

That they do. :)

BR> ... Bagpipers do it with amazing grace

I love hearing it done that way.

Daryl

.... Put The Cat Out?? I didn't know it was on fire!!
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas

Re: Various Things

<60CF3FB6.160.dove-ham@bbs.n1uro.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=121&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#121

From: brian.rogers@VERT/CARNAGE (Brian Rogers)
To: Daryl Stout
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 02:12:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Brian Rogers - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 06:12 UTC

Daryl;

-=> Daryl Stout wrote to Brian Rogers <=-

DS> Sean Dennis, KS4TD, does "Cheepware" and runs Micronet. He doesn't
DS> charge for his software either.

The guy who called me a commie was only trying to help me make a few bucks,
but then legalities as far as support and such come into play. I don't
want those sorts of headaches!

DS> And, they didn't do it on the sperm of the moment...but they are the
DS> cream of the crop. <EG> I think the heat outside has gotten to me, and
DS> I'm having an A.A.A.D.D. flareup (BTW, I've forwarded that to several
DS> folks, and they love it <G>).

That's a def keeper!

DS> Was she a toon?? :P I've heard on numerous nets, when one tells what
DS> they were doing for dinner, a ham keys up, and says "What's your
DS> address?? I'll be right over". <G>

That's common talk, or if one is having ice cream on an ultra hot day,
someone will say "you have to share with everyone on the net".

DS> Is it Hawaiian?? Back to the grass skirts again. <G>

I couldn't be so lucky lol

DS> The Good Lord gave me another poem last night..."They Get What They
DS> Deserved". The world looks at that as "Karma", but you know what they
DS> say about paybacks. <G>

Flood? sorry I sold my gear. Tornados coming? Sorry I'm evacuating my family.
They want to continue to step on us.. I can step too - and with my neuropathy
I won't feel any pins they may try to stick in me <G>

DS> ERROR: ORG.ASM not found. Fondle any key to retry.

LOL

I have some train taglines for you...

Confucius say: Man who put head on rail road track get splitting headache.

Darn - missed the train to reality again!

Gates are down the lights are flashing but the train isn't coming.

If a train station is a station where the train stops what's a workstation?

Kramer's Law: You can never tell which way the train went by looking at the
tracks.

Make like a train and leave tracks.

My train of thought derails frequently.

Now that's one train of thought I'm glad I'm not riding!

Railroad engineers are on the right track.

The hardest thing is to disguise your feelings when you put a lot of
relatives on the train for home.

The sign said Stop Look Listen ... and while I did the train hit me.

When you've read about one train wreck you've read about them all.

Enjoy <G>

.... Old pacifists never die, they just go to pieces.