From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: All
Subject: New System!
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 06:29:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:29 UTC

I splurged on a new/used system, needed something with a bit more
horsepower.

Old: Dell Inspiron, 4th gen i7, 16 GB of RAM, no TPM, wonky bios. It
loses the time and date every time I turn it off, even with a new
battery.

New: Dell Optiplex, 9th gen i7, 64 GB of RAM, TPM for Windows 11

The new system has 2 PCI-x 16 slots instead of one, and an NVMe slot for
later down the road.

It's got DisplayPort instead of HDMI, surprisingly I could only get
1920x1080 out of them. I installed a video card, and it also would only
do 1920x1080. When I used the HDMI port on the card, I was able to
get 2540x1080 out of my ultrawide. Apparently I might need new cables if
I want to support this monitor with DP.

No wireless or Bluetooth, not a major deal. I put a USB bluetooth dongle
on and I've got ethernet.

.... Accept advice
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

New System!

<64EFAC41.1416.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=100&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#100

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 15:53:21 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 20:53 UTC

Re: New System!
By: poindexter FORTRAN to All on Tue Aug 29 2023 06:29 am

> No wireless or Bluetooth, not a major deal. I put a USB bluetooth dongle
> on and I've got ethernet.

no, you have wifi.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: New System!

<64F27F70.5190.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=101&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#101

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: MRO
Subject: Re: New System!
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 06:24:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 13:24 UTC

-=> MRO wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

> No wireless or Bluetooth, not a major deal. I put a USB bluetooth dongle
> on and I've got ethernet.
>

MR> no, you have wifi.

You misunderstood. I have wired ethernet, so I don't need wireless.

.... Idealism without purpose is the ENEMY of PROGRESS.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: New System!

<64F2E143.281.dove-hwswhelp@tlcbbs.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=102&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#102

From: weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS (Weatherman)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 01:14:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Weatherman - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 07:14 UTC

-=> poindexter FORTRAN wrote to MRO <=-

-=> MRO wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

> No wireless or Bluetooth, not a major deal. I put a USB bluetooth dongle
> on and I've got ethernet.
>

MR> no, you have wifi.

pF> You misunderstood. I have wired ethernet, so I don't need wireless.

I got it. Had to reread a second time with one of the other voices in my head.
You have bluetooth wireless AND you have ethernet. I prefer a wired
connection myself, all my PCs are 1000BaseT ethernet as well. Well, except for
my C128, THAT is on a WiFi modem....

.... Years ago I was young and stupid. Now years later I'm no longer young.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
� Synchronet � The Lost Chord BBS - Cheyenne, WY

Re: New System!

<64F52370.5192.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=103&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#103

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Weatherman
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 08:12:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 15:12 UTC

-=> Weatherman wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

We> You have bluetooth wireless AND you have ethernet. I prefer a wired
We> connection myself, all my PCs are 1000BaseT ethernet as well. Well,
We> except for my C128, THAT is on a WiFi modem....

I've posted before about this - I limped along for a bunch of years on
powerline adapters. The connection from my router to the BBS got close
to 150 mbps, but my office only got around 30 mbps.

About a year ago, I paid to have a couple of CAT6 runs put in between my
bedroom and home office, and ditched wifi for my workflows. I'll never
go back.

I remember wiring offices where we had 4 Cat5 connectors and 2 voice
connectors at 100+ locations - my last office had 4-5 ethernet drops and
*everything* was wifi.

.... Discover the recipes you are using and abandon them
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: New System!

<64FF80AC.2004.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=105&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#105

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 21:03:40 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 21:03 UTC

Re: Re: New System!
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Weatherman on Sun Sep 03 2023 08:12:00

PF> I've posted before about this - I limped along for a bunch of years on
PF> powerline adapters. The connection from my router to the BBS got close
PF> to 150 mbps, but my office only got around 30 mbps.

PF> About a year ago, I paid to have a couple of CAT6 runs put in between my
PF> bedroom and home office, and ditched wifi for my workflows. I'll never
PF> go back.

This past year, I bumped my main switch to 10gb ethernet, and bumped up to a Cat6 commercial grade AP... I typically test between 400-800mbps wireless throughput depending where in the house I am. I have a 10gb ethernet card for my desktop, but I'd need to remove my windows drive in order to free up the slot to use it (pcie 4x to nvme adapter). My incoming internet is now 2gb (2335mbps), I also got a 10gb ethernet card in my NAS, and other network devices are 2.5gb. So I'm set for a while now.

Still have a few more wired ethernet drops I want done in my house, but the wifi6 throughput has mostly obviated the urgency. I've tried powerline adapters before, but wasn't much better than 802.11g wifi in my experience.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Re: New System!

<65005E83.1387.dove-net2005@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=106&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#106

From: candycane@VERT/CONCHAOS (candycane)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 08:50:11 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: candycane - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 12:50 UTC

Re: Re: New System!
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Weatherman on Sun Sep 03 2023 08:12 am

PF> I remember wiring offices where we had 4 Cat5 connectors and 2 voice
PF> connectors at 100+ locations - my last office had 4-5 ethernet drops and
PF> *everything* was wifi.

Did they not want to wire everything?

candycane

===
user is generated from /dev/urandom

....For certain people, after fifty, litigation takes the place of sex.
---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ ConstructiveChaos BBS | conchaos.synchro.net ]=-

Re: New System!

<65028FB5.5197.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=108&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#108

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Tracker1
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 06:36:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:36 UTC

-=> Tracker1 wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Tr> the wifi6 throughput has mostly obviated the urgency. I've tried
Tr> powerline adapters before, but wasn't much better than 802.11g wifi in
Tr> my experience.

My house has two breaker boxes. The cable modem and the BBS were on one
box, and powerline was good for around 200 mbps on a speedtest. My
office was on the second box, and I was lucky if I got 30-40. Lots of
interference, too - when I put up Christmas lights, my throughput would
drop.

The other benefit to running ethernet was being able to set up an AP on
the office end to act as a 4-port switch and a wireless repeater.

.... Use filters
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: New System!

<65028FB5.5198.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=109&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#109

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: candycane
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 06:37:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:37 UTC

-=> candycane wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

ca> Did they not want to wire everything?

For a small 20-30 person office, they didn't see any need. I didn't miss
wired ethernet much, I had a wired port for imaging PCs and that was it.

.... A journey of a thousand sandwiches begins with a single cut.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: New System!

<6502FFCE.1391.dove-net2005@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=110&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#110

From: candycane@VERT/CONCHAOS (candycane)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:42:54 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: candycane - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 12:42 UTC

Re: Re: New System!
By: poindexter FORTRAN to candycane on Wed Sep 13 2023 06:37 am

ca>> Did they not want to wire everything?

PF> For a small 20-30 person office, they didn't see any need. I didn't miss
PF> wired ethernet much, I had a wired port for imaging PCs and that was it.

Oh, yea that makes sense for a 20 person office. You probably would want ethernet for a large company..

candycane

===
user is generated from /dev/urandom

....Hindsight is an exact science.
---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ ConstructiveChaos BBS | conchaos.synchro.net ]=-

Re: New System!

<6504AB86.2011.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=112&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#112

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 19:07:50 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 19:07 UTC

Re: Re: New System!
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Tracker1 on Wed Sep 13 2023 06:36:00

PF> My house has two breaker boxes. The cable modem and the BBS were on one
PF> box, and powerline was good for around 200 mbps on a speedtest. My
PF> office was on the second box, and I was lucky if I got 30-40. Lots of
PF> interference, too - when I put up Christmas lights, my throughput would
PF> drop.

Yeah, that's definitely harsh and not enough if working with remote files... And inconsistent througput is not fun at all, can only imagin the packet errors and retries if watching/logging.

PF> The other benefit to running ethernet was being able to set up an AP on
PF> the office end to act as a 4-port switch and a wireless repeater.

Cool... I've got a couple wifi to lan receivers I wound up not needing, which I may use in the future... my single AP in the middle of the house on the second floor reaches the entire property just fine (which isn't that big), can get to the back patio and yard fine, as well as into my car, which sometimes has issues with continuity for calls as I'm driving away.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com