From: candycane@VERT/BTTMLSS (candycane)
To: Phigan
Subject: Re: how to tune into ham radio?
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 14:20:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: candycane - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 14:20 UTC

Ph> Good call! I don't know why I didn't mention SDR dongles. They do require
Ph> little more fiddling, though, and the stock antennas leave much to be desi
Ph> Seems like you could get more (use and satisfaction) out of an SDR dongle
Ph> you are familiar with the radio a bit more.

Hmm... so should I go for a handheld or a SDR first?

-----------------------------------
user is generated from /dev/urandom

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
* Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net

Re: how to tune into ham radio?

<64EB0EFA.551.dove-ham@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1099&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#1099

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (Phigan)
To: candycane
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 01:53:14 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Phigan - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 08:53 UTC

Re: Re: how to tune into ham radio?
By: candycane to Phigan on Sat Aug 26 2023 02:20 pm

> Hmm... so should I go for a handheld or a SDR first?

Probably depends on how comfortable you are with fiddling :). If it's cheap
enough, go for both! But IMO, you'll probably get more initial understanding
with a scanner or handheld.

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io

Re: how to tune into ham radio?

<64ECF165.10735.dove-ham@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1106&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#1106

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: candycane
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:11:33 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Digital Man - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 19:11 UTC

Re: Re: how to tune into ham radio?
By: candycane to Phigan on Sat Aug 26 2023 02:20 pm

> Ph> Good call! I don't know why I didn't mention SDR dongles. They do
> Ph> require little more fiddling, though, and the stock antennas leave much
> Ph> to be desi Seems like you could get more (use and satisfaction) out of
> Ph> an SDR dongle you are familiar with the radio a bit more.
>
> Hmm... so should I go for a handheld or a SDR first?

The SDR dongles are fun and can receive *more* bands than a handheld (HT), but they can't transmit. So you don't need a license for the SDR dongle usage. SDR dongles are super cheap, so little risk to your investment.

Handhelds are great for *chatting* with folks or listening to a lot of chatter (if you don't have a license), but only somewhat locally to you (VHF/UHF) or (and most often) using repeaters.

So... both?
--
digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #12:
[Walt] Looks like Keith Richards with a glass a warm milk! - Hank Schrader
Norco, CA WX: 96.2°F, 24.0% humidity, 6 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net