From: ebojager@VERT/OUTLAND (Ebojager)
To: All
Subject: Custom Menus with Custom Commands ?
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:57:05 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Ebojager - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 04:57 UTC

So just started a SBBS after many many years of running a Dialup Telegard BBS.
Im not seeing a traditional menu editor where you can select the command key and access for that command key etc. So you can make a completly new menu. Is that posisble and are there any tutorials? Sofar Ive been usin Linux VIM editor to edit the look of the default renegade menus and also some of the other .asc or .msg files. I would appreciate any direction on where to begin. Thank you

Ebojager

---
■ Synchronet ■ Sent from OUTLAND BBS

Custom Menus with Custom Commands ?

<648F3B57.9013.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1100&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1100

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Ebojager
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 12:13:59 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 17:13 UTC

Re: Custom Menus with Custom Commands ?
By: Ebojager to All on Sat Jun 17 2023 09:57 pm

> So just started a SBBS after many many years of running a Dialup Telegard
> BBS. Im not seeing a traditional menu editor where you can select the
> command key and access for that command key etc. So you can make a completly
> new menu. Is that posisble and are there any tutorials? Sofar Ive been usin
> Linux VIM editor to edit the look of the default renegade menus and also
> some of the other .asc or .msg files. I would appreciate any direction on
> where to begin. Thank you

there's no real good menu editor. your menu editor is yoru text editor.

so take the renegade shell and copy it over to a new one. change any commands and then modify your text files.

also you can run your telegard bbs as a door on synchronet.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Custom Menus with Custom Commands ?

<648F52B3.50019.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1101&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1101

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Ebojager
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:53:39 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 18:53 UTC

Re: Custom Menus with Custom Commands ?
By: Ebojager to All on Sat Jun 17 2023 09:57 pm

> So just started a SBBS after many many years of running a Dialup Telegard
> BBS. Im not seeing a traditional menu editor where you can select the
> command key and access for that command key etc. So you can make a completly
> new menu. Is that posisble and are there any tutorials? Sofar Ive been usin
> Linux VIM editor to edit the look of the default renegade menus and also
> some of the other .asc or .msg files. I would appreciate any direction on
> where to begin. Thank you

Menu files and displayed and command keys are accepted/parsed by command shells
https://wiki.synchro.net/custom:command_shell

If you're using Synchronet v3.20, the default command shell is now written in JavaScript (default.js), not Baja (default.src). The other stock shells will be converted to JS in due time.

The difference between .asc and .msg display files is explained here:
https://wiki.synchro.net/custom:menu_files
--
digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #26:
David St. Hubbins: They were still booing him when we came on stage.
Norco, CA WX: 70.8°F, 73.0% humidity, 5 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Custom Menus with Custom Commands ?

<64938719.45482.dove-syncdisc@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1109&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1109

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Ebojager
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:26:17 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Tracker1 - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:26 UTC

Re: Custom Menus with Custom Commands ?
By: Ebojager to All on Sat Jun 17 2023 21:57:05

Eb> So just started a SBBS after many many years of running a Dialup Telegard
Eb> BBS. Im not seeing a traditional menu editor where you can select the
Eb> command key and access for that command key etc. So you can make a
Eb> completly new menu. Is that posisble and are there any tutorials? Sofar
Eb> Ive been usin Linux VIM editor to edit the look of the default renegade
Eb> menus and also some of the other .asc or .msg files. I would appreciate
Eb> any direction on where to begin. Thank you

I know you probably have a *lot* of responses at this point...

I use Visual Studio Code to edit on the BBS, I usually open the editor in the sbbs/ directory with the following in sbbs/.vscode/settings.json

https://gist.github.com/tracker1/8840a61470063705d37aaf00019c9d16

I can edit most of the files without issue this way. Your best bet will be to look at one of the existing command shells, I find the JavaScript ones are easier, but you may well find the .src (baja) based ones easier to work with. Copy one from sbbs/exec/shellname.(js|src) into sbbs/mods/shellname.(js|src) and edit it how you like. This assumes you want new or changed menus. You can then add your new command shell in scfg. You might want to remove shells you don't want to offer if you only want a particular one for your BBS.

Most of what you need can be found in the synchronet wiki.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Custom Menus with Custom Commands ?

<6493DFDF.157.dove-syncdisc@outland.synchronetbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1110&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1110

From: ebojager@VERT/OUTLAND (Ebojager)
To: Tracker1
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 22:45:03 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Ebojager - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 05:45 UTC

Re: Custom Menus with Custom Commands ?
By: Tracker1 to Ebojager on Wed Jun 21 2023 11:26 pm

thank you. thats very helpful. i do want custom commands and now i hqve a better IDEA howto go qbout it. i think i used security levels TO limit THE other shells. using a gui would be helpul :)

---
■ Synchronet ■ Sent from OUTLAND BBS

Custom Menus with Custom Commands ?

<64945243.9024.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1111&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1111

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Ebojager
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:53:07 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:53 UTC

Re: Custom Menus with Custom Commands ?
By: Ebojager to Tracker1 on Wed Jun 21 2023 10:45 pm

> Re: Custom Menus with Custom Commands ?
> By: Tracker1 to Ebojager on Wed Jun 21 2023 11:26 pm
>
> thank you. thats very helpful. i do want custom commands and now i hqve a
> better IDEA howto go qbout it. i think i used security levels TO limit THE
> other shells. using a gui would be helpul :)

no, you go into scfg and just remove them
and then set the correct shell for the default user.
if some users arent set to the correct shell after being users for a while, you can put a script in the login to check their shell and then switch it.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::