From: fusion@VERT/CFBBS (fusion)
To: candycane
Subject: Re: how to tune into ham radio?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 19:01:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: fusion - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 19:01 UTC

On 24 Aug 2023, candycane said the following...
ca> I've never used ham radio before, but the ham radio scene seems quite
ca> cool. Does anyone have any recommendations for a radio to buy and how to
ca> tune into one?

https://a.co/d/aIDrLCF

learn to program it, like this tutorial:

https://www.noji.com/hamradio/prog/Baofeng-UV-82-Programming-Guide.pdf

but for a local repeater to you. you can probably find the repeaters with the repeaterbook app. look for a ham radio club that does a NET so you know when to listen.. it's really easy to coincidentally listen at all the wrong times and hear absolutely nothing!

unfortunately without a ham radio license you aren't supposed to transmit, but at least you'll get an idea of what goes on on VHF (or UHF) .. if it isn't specifically written on their website, send an email to one of the ham radio clubs and ask when they do testing. you can pass the test studying less than a week i'd bet, using an android/iphone app. testing is either free or around $15.

( before anyone ELSE responds, refer to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsSO-NBSKUg )

* Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi

Re: how to tune into ham radio?

<64E8B386.543.dove-ham@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1091&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#1091

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (Phigan)
To: fusion
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 06:58:30 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Phigan - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 13:58 UTC

Re: Re: how to tune into ham radio?
By: fusion to candycane on Thu Aug 24 2023 07:01 pm

> https://a.co/d/aIDrLCF

I didn't click this yet, but if it's a link to a Baofeng UV-5R, I highly
recommend anything BUT this :). Like maybe a Quansheng UV-K5 which can be had
from Banggood for $25. It sounds and works sooooo much better.
I also like the Baofeng UV-6R and the UV-82HP.

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io