From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: Tropical Storm Hilary: Amateur Radio Activates
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 16:52:45 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 16:52 UTC

08/20/2023

Amateur Radio operators activated on Sunday, August 20, 2023 to provide
communications and information for Tropical Storm Hilary[1]. As of mid-morning
Sunday, the system was moving up the Baja Peninsula of Mexico, expected to
cross into Southern California. Heavy rains were falling in San Diego, and
local media reported that 250 airline flights had been canceled.

Amateur radio operations began Sunday morning. The WX4NHC amateur radio station
at the National Hurricane Center[2] was on air. "WX4NHC will be on the air on
the Hurricane Watch Net frequency 14.325 MHz and 7.268 MHz depending on
propagation. We will also be on VoIP Hurricane Net (IRLP node 9219 / EchoLink
WX-TALK Conference node 7203). http://www.voipwx.net/[3] We will also be
monitoring WinLink reports via wx4nhc@winlink.org (subject line must contain
//WL2K.)." Wrote WX4NHC Amateur Radio Assistant Coordinator Julio Ripoll, WD4R.

The Hurricane Watch Net (HWN)[4] was also activated Sunday morning. "We will
remain active until our services are no longer required. This system does have
a good chance of crossing into California as a Tropical Storm. If so, it will
be the first Tropical Storm to hit California since 1939," wrote net manager
Bobby Graves, KB5HAV.

HWN seeks reports to relay to the National Hurricane Center in Miami. They have
operators who are fluent in English and Spanish to take reports. "Such weather
information we look for is maximum sustained winds, winds gusts, wind
direction, barometric pressure, rainfall amount - how much over x-amount of
time, storm surge, and damage. Should you have any outgoing Health and Welfare
Traffic before, during, or after this event, we are happy to assist as we work
closely with the Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network (SATERN)," wrote
Graves.

HWN also exists to provide backup communications to official agencies such as
emergency operations centers, Red Cross officials, and storm shelters in the
affected area and relays damage reports.

The primary frequencies the net uses center on 14.325.00 MHz and 7.268.00 MHz,
depending on propagation. HWN thanks radio amateurs for yielding those
frequencies during operation "It certainly makes our job easier, and I know
those in the affected area appreciate it as well," said Graves.

ARRL will continue to monitor the situation and update this page. HQ staff
members are in contact with WX4NHC, The Hurricane Watch Net, and VoIP Hurricane
Net officials.

[1] https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_ep4+shtml/150034.shtml?gm_track
[2] https://w4ehw.fiu.edu/
[3] https://www.voipwx.net/
[4] https://www.hwn.org/

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS