From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: Commercial Interests Petition FCC for High Power Allocation on Shortwave Spectrum
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 20:50:49 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 20:50 UTC

07/18/2023

[Updated 7/18/2023]

7/11/2023

The ad hoc group "Shortwave Modernization Coalition" petitioned the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) to allow data communications on multiple bands
within the HF 2 - 25 MHz range with up to 20 KW, including in bands immediately
adjacent to spectrum allocated to the Amateur Radio Service. This group appears
to represent high-speed stock trading interests.

ARRL  The National Association for Amateur Radio[1]¿ is treating the petition
as a subject of concern for its members and the greater Amateur Radio Service.
ARRL Laboratory staff are studying the matter from a technical standpoint,
including analysis of transmitted signals potentially interfering with Amateur
Radio communications on Amateur Radio spectrum. The results from this expert
review are being finalized and will inform ARRL's filed comments on the matter.

The FCC has assigned the petition RM-11953. Comments are due by July 31, 2023,
and reply comments by August 15. While the petitioners exclude the amateur
bands, high power operations on immediately adjacent bands are proposed.

A copy of the petition is at:
https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/1042840187330/[2]1 (PDF).

[1] http://www.arrl.org/
[2] https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/1042840187330/1

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS

Commercial Interests Petition FCC for High Power Allocation on Shortw

<64E0BA6C.533.dove-ham@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1081&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#1081

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (Phigan)
To: ALL
Subject: Commercial Interests Petition FCC for High Power Allocation on Shortw
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 05:49:48 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Phigan - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 12:49 UTC

Re: Commercial Interests Petition FCC for High Power Allocation on Shortwa
By: ARRL de WD1CKS to QST on Fri Aug 18 2023 08:50 pm

> The ad hoc group "Shortwave Modernization Coalition" petitioned the Federal
> Communications Commission (FCC) to allow data communications on multiple
> bands within the HF 2 - 25 MHz range with up to 20 KW, including in bands
> immediately adjacent to spectrum allocated to the Amateur Radio Service.
> This group appears to represent high-speed stock trading interests.

Man, the nerve of these guys. I can totally picture some old dudes in a "study" sitting on leather couches, holding cigars and brandy glasses, saying things like "nobody talks on the radio anymore!". That's probably influence from cartoons and TV :). Srs, though, the slightest bit of RF interferes with HF reception and communication. Like, you can't use amateur radio equipment on such frequencies with a bunch of power supplies anywhere near the antenna, for example. And they want to blast twenty freakin' kilowatts with some super wide band operations? It's nuts!

More of us should be outraged! :)

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io