From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: Amateur Radio Operator Contacts Spacecraft
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:50:43 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:50 UTC

08/18/2023 The headlines are sensational, although a bit exaggerated: "Ham
Radio 'hacks' NASA Satellite". While the phrase is eye-catching for social
media, the truth is just as exciting. Amateur radio astronomer Scott Tilley,
VE7TIL, has made contact with NASA's STEREO-A spacecraft, which passed Earth
for the first time in 17 years. The STEREO-A (Solar TErrestrial RElations
Observatory) spacecraft was launched on October 25, 2006, from Cape Canaveral,
Florida, with its twin sister ship, STEREO-B. Both spacecraft were on a mission
to circle behind the and send images back to Earth so scientists could make 3D
models of solar activity. In 2014, STEREO-B failed and was not heard from
again. "I'm having fun with STEREO-A," Tilley reported to Spaceweather.com.
"The spacecraft is close to Earth this summer, and I can now receive its signal
using a small 26-inch dish in my backyard." Tilley began hearing rumors that
other radio operators were picking up signals from STEREO-A on 8443.580 MHz. He
decided to check it out. "The central carrier is very loud, almost 30 dB above
the noise," he said. "I also noticed data sidebands, which are unusual to see
on such a distant object for my small antenna." Tilley was able to decode and
demodulate STEREO-A's signal using a special program written by Alan Antonie,
F4LAU, known as SatDump, and now, he is monitoring almost all of STEREO-A's
science instruments, including its Extreme Ultraviolet Imager (EUVI), two
coronagraphs (COR1 and COR2), the heliospheric imager (HI), and a solar radio
burst receiver (S/WAVES). STEREO-A's closest approach to Earth was scheduled to
occur on August 17, 2023. Amateur radio operators who would like to monitor
STEREO-A can check out Tilley's technical blog for more information. [Thanks to
Spaceweather.com and NASA for updated information in this story]

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS