From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: Update: FCC ULS System Restored
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 16:48:02 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 16:48 UTC

06/27/2023

The FCC Universal Licensing System[1] (ULS) has resumed operations, including
the Electronic Batch Filing system (EBF).

As of June 27, 2023, all systems have been reported to be working. However,
visitors to the website will see a message referring them to Public Notice DA
23-529[2] for additional information and guidance on filing deadline
extensions.

The systems were first reported unavailable on June 9, 2023. On Friday
afternoon, June 23, the EBF system was restored. All VEC organizations use that
system for filing exam sessions, individual applications, and club license
applications. ARRL VEC staff worked late into Friday night to ensure all
backlogged sessions and application files were transmitted to the FCC before
the weekend. Approximately 350 backlogged files were successfully submitted to
and processed by the FCC before the system's normal shutdown at 8 PM.

ARRL is still monitoring the ULS system, and any further updates will be
available at ARRL News.

Previous story from June 22, 2023:

On Wednesday morning, June 21, 2023, the FCC had reopened the Universal
Licensing System (ULS) and supporting systems, according to an email
distributed to VEC organizations. However, as of 4:00 PM on Wednesday, the
Electronic Batch Filing (EBF) system, used by VEC organizations for filing exam
sessions, individual applications, and club license applications, was still not
available as promised. Unfortunately, this means applications for new and
upgraded licenses, and individual and club license filings still cannot be
uploaded in the system for issuance.

When the EBF system becomes available, the Commission is requesting VECs to
limit submissions into the filing system. In an email sent by the FCC, all EBF
filers were asked to adhere to a restricted upload schedule in order to keep
the EBF system stable and to avoid any potential technical problems. The FCC
will be monitoring to ensure the EBF system is stable during this reopening
period. If they assess that the upload volume is too high, they will send out
another notice with directions to reduce the amount of uploads per hour.

ARRL VEC will comply with the FCC directive, limiting our transmissions but
sending as many backlogged sessions as possible without overloading their
system. The files will be submitted to the FCC in the order in which they were
received, starting with the files from Monday, June 12, and moving forward from
there. ARRL VEC will begin submitting the backlogged applications as soon as
the EBF system becomes available, and assuming all FCC systems remain stable.

In an FCC notice published on June 21, 2023
(https://www.fcc.gov/document/uls-tcns-e-106-and-asr-available[3]), the
Commission provided a deadline extension for filings in the ULS and the Antenna
Structure Registration (ASR) system, explaining, "Because parties could not
make electronic filings or view the contents of the affected systems while they
were unavailable, we are extending the deadlines for all regulatory filings
that were due in the affected systems between June 9, 2023, and June 29, 2023,
until Friday, June 30, 2023. We note that we have provided for a longer
extension for these filings than initially contemplated in the June 13 Public
Notice in anticipation of high traffic volumes on these systems in the coming
days. In that regard, we encourage filers to consider deferring discretionary
filings this week, and we encourage filers preparing large submissions to
coordinate in advance with [the] staff of the Bureaus."

[1] https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/universal-licensing-system
[2] https://www.fcc.gov/document/uls-tcns-e-106-and-asr-available
[3] https://www.fcc.gov/document/uls-tcns-e-106-and-asr-available

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS