From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: Legislation to Remove Private Land Use Restrictions on Amateur Radio Introduced in Congress
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 21:47:42 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 21:47 UTC

06/13/2023

Congressmen Bill Johnson (OH-06) and Joe Courtney (CT-02) reintroduced a bill
in the US House of Representatives on June 12 - H.R.4006[1] (see full text of
bill in this PDF[2]) - to remove private land use restrictions that prohibit,
restrict, or impair the ability of Amateur Radio operators from operating and
installing reasonable antennas on property that they own or control. Similar
legislation, H.R. 9670, was introduced[3] by Congressman Johnson in 2022.

"I reintroduced the Amateur Radio Emergency Preparedness Act to remove barriers
to disaster and emergency communications and training, and to promote education
in STEM subjects related to critically needed wireless technology," Congressman
Johnson said in a release. "Passage of this bill will promote developing and
sustaining our nation's wireless future and facilitate and encourage amateur
radio operations as a public benefit."

"As their actions during recent natural disasters such as Hurricane Sandy
proved, amateur radio operators in Connecticut can be a critical component of
disaster response and emergency management. It is in our communities' best
interest that we give them the capabilities to operate at the highest level,
and with the re-introduction of this bill, we've taken a strong step in that
direction," said Congressman Courtney.

The exponential growth of communities bound by private land use restrictions
that prohibit both the operation of Amateur Radio and the installation of
amateur station antennas has significantly restricted the growth of the Amateur
Radio Service.

ARRL  The National Association for Amateur Radio¿[4] continues its multi-year
efforts to eliminate private land use restrictions that prevent Amateur Radio
operations and has pledged to strongly support Congressman Johnson and
Congressman Courtney in their efforts on behalf of Amateur Radio.

Rick Roderick, K5UR, President of ARRL, on behalf its Members and America's
Amateur Radio community extended his thanks and appreciation for the leadership
of Congressman Johnson and Congressman Courtney in their tireless efforts to
support and protect the rights of all Amateur Radio Operators and to further
STEM education and the advancement of American expertise in wireless
technology.

[1] https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/4006
[2] https://billjohnson.house.gov/uploadedfiles/amateur_radio_emergency_preparedness_act_signed_bill_text.pdf
[3] https://www.arrl.org/news/rep-bill-johnson-introduces-bill-to-eliminate-private-land-use-restrictions-on-amateur-radio
[4] http://www.arrl.org

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS