From: zazz@VERT/PBSYNC (Zazz)
To: All
Subject: Synchronet Control Panel
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 18:23:12 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Zazz - Tue, 23 May 2023 23:23 UTC

It seems like Synchronet Control Panel, at least on my sysstem is hoggint resources. It consistently hots CPU at over 70%.

Is that normal or is there something else I need to look at.

Ruben Figueroa
aka Zazz
PBSync Prison BBS
[1:124/5014.4]

---
■ Synchronet ■ PBSync Prison BBS - pbmystic.rdfig.net:24

Synchronet Control Panel

<646D7005.49934.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1017&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1017

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Zazz
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 19:01:41 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Wed, 24 May 2023 02:01 UTC

Re: Synchronet Control Panel
By: Zazz to All on Tue May 23 2023 06:23 pm

> It seems like Synchronet Control Panel, at least on my sysstem is hoggint
> resources. It consistently hots CPU at over 70%.
>
> Is that normal or is there something else I need to look at.

No, that's not normal. What version of sbbsctrl are you running? Have you tried stopping servers or services to find which is at fault?
--
digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #25:
Viv Savage: Have... a good... time... all the time. That's my philosophy.
Norco, CA WX: 60.3°F, 90.0% humidity, 8 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Synchronet Control Panel

<646E5E91.36754.dove-syncdisc@pbmystic.rdfig.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1018&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1018

From: zazz@VERT/PBSYNC (Zazz)
To: Digital Man
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 13:59:29 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Zazz - Wed, 24 May 2023 18:59 UTC

Re: Synchronet Control Panel
By: Digital Man to Zazz on Tue May 23 2023 19:01:41

DM> Re: Synchronet Control Panel
DM> By: Zazz to All on Tue May 23 2023 06:23 pm
>> It seems like Synchronet Control Panel, at least on my sysstem is
>> hoggint resources. It consistently hots CPU at over 70%.
>> Is that normal or is there something else I need to look at.

DM> No, that's not normal. What version of sbbsctrl are you running? Have you
DM> tried stopping servers or services to find which is at fault? --
DM> digital man (rob)
I am running v3.19

This morning it was hogging the CPU. I shut it down and restarted it and watched it for a while and it was behaving ok.

I sent some mail and just a little bump in CPU use. Not sure what it is doing when it does jump up. Untll I restart it, it does not goe dow in usage

Ruben Figueroa
aka Zazz
PBSync Prison BBS
[1:124/5014.4]

---
■ Synchronet ■ PBSync Prison BBS - pbmystic.rdfig.net:24

Synchronet Control Panel

<646EC43E.49936.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1019&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1019

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Zazz
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 19:13:18 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Thu, 25 May 2023 02:13 UTC

Re: Synchronet Control Panel
By: Zazz to Digital Man on Wed May 24 2023 01:59 pm

> Re: Synchronet Control Panel
> By: Digital Man to Zazz on Tue May 23 2023 19:01:41
>
> DM> Re: Synchronet Control Panel
> DM> By: Zazz to All on Tue May 23 2023 06:23 pm
> >> It seems like Synchronet Control Panel, at least on my sysstem is
> >> hoggint resources. It consistently hots CPU at over 70%.
> >> Is that normal or is there something else I need to look at.
>
> DM> No, that's not normal. What version of sbbsctrl are you running? Have
> DM> you tried stopping servers or services to find which is at fault? --
> DM> digital man (rob)
> I am running v3.19
>
> This morning it was hogging the CPU. I shut it down and restarted it and
> watched it for a while and it was behaving ok.
>
> I sent some mail and just a little bump in CPU use. Not sure what it is
> doing when it does jump up. Untll I restart it, it does not goe dow in
> usage

Next time this happens, try stopping one server at a time (don't shut down sbbsctrl) and see which one fixes the "hogging".

Another thing to look at would be the logs of the servers (and the event thread) to see what was happening last.
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #84:
The Electronic Frontier Foundation used to run Synchronet (circa 1993)
Norco, CA WX: 61.3°F, 77.0% humidity, 5 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Synchronet Control Panel

<646F9688.36757.dove-syncdisc@pbmystic.rdfig.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1021&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1021

From: zazz@VERT/PBSYNC (Zazz)
To: Digital Man
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 12:10:32 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Zazz - Thu, 25 May 2023 17:10 UTC

Re: Synchronet Control Panel
By: Digital Man to Zazz on Wed May 24 2023 19:13:18

DM> Re: Synchronet Control Panel
DM> By: Zazz to Digital Man on Wed May 24 2023 01:59 pm

>> Re: Synchronet Control Panel
>> By: Digital Man to Zazz on Tue May 23 2023 19:01:41

> DM>> Re: Synchronet Control Panel
> DM>> By: Zazz to All on Tue May 23 2023 06:23 pm

> DM>> No, that's not normal. What version of sbbsctrl are you running?
> DM>> Have you tried stopping servers or services to find which is at
> DM>> fault? -- digital man (rob)
>> I am running v3.19

>> This morning it was hogging the CPU. I shut it down and restarted it
>> and watched it for a while and it was behaving ok.

>> I sent some mail and just a little bump in CPU use. Not sure what it
>> is doing when it does jump up. Untll I restart it, it does not goe
>> dow in usage

DM> Next time this happens, try stopping one server at a time (don't shut down
DM> sbbsctrl) and see which one fixes the "hogging".

DM> Another thing to look at would be the logs of the servers (and the event
DM> thread) to see what was happening last. --
DM> digital man (rob)

Ok I will do.

Ruben Figueroa
aka Zazz
PBSync Prison BBS
[1:124/5014.4]

---
■ Synchronet ■ PBSync Prison BBS - pbmystic.rdfig.net:24

Synchronet Control Panel

<648C4ADE.45463.dove-syncdisc@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1090&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#1090

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Zazz
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 11:43:26 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Tracker1 - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 11:43 UTC

Re: Synchronet Control Panel
By: Zazz to All on Tue May 23 2023 18:23:12

Za> It seems like Synchronet Control Panel, at least on my sysstem is hoggint
Za> resources. It consistently hots CPU at over 70%.

Za> Is that normal or is there something else I need to look at.

Not normal... though I've seen that from the web service(s) when they're being actively scanned such as via bot, or indexing from google, etc. It should settle down when they're done, generally... you can try adding a robots.txt in the web root to deny scanning (if you don't mind not getting indexed directly).

The IRCd has seemed to leak as well in the past, not that I've seen it do that in several years though.

I'm running via docker, with most of the separate services running separately, so I can identify when one goes kind of rogue... I have irc and nntp separate, but the rest of "services" running together. Telnet/SSH, Web (3), FTP and Mail/SMTP are all running separately as well for my config.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com