From: fakeshemp4real@VERT/BTTFBBS (Fakeshemp4real)
To: ALL
Subject: Xenia Hamfest!
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 12:20:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Fakeshemp4real - Fri, 26 May 2023 12:20 UTC

I had myself a great time at this years gathering. Went again with a friend
and enjoyed all the flea market tents and the vendors as well. Finally got
joined up with OMISS, and had a fun time at the dinner (won a HT and a line
filter!) If you aren't familiar, OMISS is a worked all states group that has
been around for quite sometime, and I'm the 14860th member. So, I read that
people were calling the fleamarket out in the middle "the big island", I never
heard that once. But I'm sure *someone* called it that. I found two nice items
in the fleamarket, a dumb terminal (Link brand, don't know anything about it)
and a working panasonic KX something or other dot-matrix printer. I can't wait
to get this thing hooked up with a machine and do some fun stuff. (I'm messing
around with the idea of using the dot-matrix printer to make aniline dye
masters for a gelly print, think old 'zines.) But it would be fun to hook up
to a BBS and get a functional, 'headless' output. Just gonna need to grab a
big pile o' form feed. Back to the hamfest; I attended the ATV forum, but it
was way back by the grandstand, and I was late. The information I did get was
useful, however. Three key elements discussed were the HiDes receiver,
transmitter, and an amplifier. This all digital TV, both in 70cm and 1.2 GHz.
It was interesting, but ATV is hampered by needing more than one person
interested in it! I need to get a group who want to do TV and really work at
it. But hobbies within hobbies is a tough sell for some. Oh well, packet seems
to be at least busy enough for experimentation with others. I snagged a new
gen 4 raspberry Pi at the fest and now ..... what to do... I only have the
one, I want it running everything, weather station, BBS, home automation...
I'm sure I won't be doing half of it. If you have any suggestions, feel free
to suggest. Sadly Gordy was not there this year. I didn't talk to him last
year, and my friend was wanting his audio code learning set signed. But I hope
all is well with him. And if you enjoyed Hamfest '23, "the Year of the
Volunteers" I'm interested in hearing your experience. 73's, -KC3GJU
---
* QWK2WWIV * Back to the Future (bttfbbs.com)

Xenia Hamfest!

<64715FBE.10631.dove-ham@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1004&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#1004

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Fakeshemp4real
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 18:41:18 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Digital Man - Sat, 27 May 2023 01:41 UTC

Re: Xenia Hamfest!
By: Fakeshemp4real to ALL on Fri May 26 2023 12:20 pm

> I had myself a great time at this years gathering. Went again with a friend
> and enjoyed all the flea market tents and the vendors as well.

I was there with WLARC. I bought a used 35mm Nikon camera kit at the swap meet for my nephew and a T-shirt that says "Talk Nerdy To Me" with an illustration of a D-104 microphone. Since I fly in from California, I don't buy a lot of big stuff there, but it's fun to shop and people watch and enjoy the company of the club (WLARC).
--
digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #32:
Don't think so hard it's gonna hurt your brain! - Hank Schrader
Norco, CA WX: 60.0°F, 76.0% humidity, 8 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net