From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on planned new build -- v3.0
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 05:42:41 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 09:42 UTC

On 10/19/2022 9:27 PM, David Samuel Barr wrote:
> Hard to believe, but this is a followup to posts
> I made here about this time 16 years ago, when
> the folks here (especially the venerable Paul)
> helped me spec out the PC I wanted to build at
> that time (while I've been building since 1985
> it's usually several years between full builds
> [as opposed to incremental changes] and I'm not
> always as current on developments as more regular
> builders are).  That system is still running
> (I'm typing this on it) and so far I've only
> needed to replace the hard drive (after ten
> years) and the power supply (after fifteen).
> However, while I've been determinedly running on
> Windows XP this whole time (as we all know Windows
> has gone downhill ever since) I'm starting to run
> into too many situations where, for example, some
> websites won't run on the last version of Firefox
> that works in XP (sometimes because they think
> it's IE and tell me as much), while some programs
> or updates thereof now won't run on anything
> lower than Windows 7, 8 or even 10, and if I were
> to decide to finally bite the bullet and update
> to 11 my current hardware likely wouldn't meet
> all of its installation requirements.
>
> So it seems I'm finally looking at having to do
> a new build in the near future.  I've done some
> research and tried to spec out what I think
> probably would work best but once again I want
> to throw it out to the gang here for evaluation,
> especially since last time when I did so the
> valuable comments led me to my current v2.0 build
> which is worlds away from and much better than
> the initial v1.0 spec I presented.  I'm hoping
> to retain my existing hardware where possible,
> although I suspect most of those components
> won't fit or run on a modern MB or have just
> become obsolete, so I've mapped this out to show
> [what I have now] and what I think >>> I'd have
> to replace it with or what I think I could keep,
> and why.
>
> First, though, a recap of what I expect to use
> the new build for (which hasn't really changed
> much since I first typed this in 2006):
>
> 1) Word processing (WordPerfect and Word 2003)
> 2) Multiple large complex spreadsheets (QuattroPro
>    and Excel 2003)
> 3) Filling in and printing PDF forms (Adobe Reader)
> 4) Internet use
>    a) e-mail and Usenet (Thunderbird)
>    b) Web research & browsing (Firefox)
>    c) Modifying PDF documents (ILovePDF)
>    d) Occasional file transfers
> 5) a) Creating & editing MIDI files and printed
>       scores (Finale or Sibelius), sometimes
>       with input from an outboard digital piano;
>    b) Transferring vinyl records to CD-R(W) or
>       MP3; maybe some editing thereof
>    c) Capturing various audio/video sources and
>       editing sound bites
> 6) a) Some DVR use with some possible edits/
>       transfers to DVD
>    b) Some VHS-to-DVD conversion and some editing
>       thereof
>    c) Some editing of clips from DVR/DVD sources
> NO GAMING (except FreeCell), NO OVERCLOCKING but
> [...]

It's a shame in a way, that the motherboard industry has lost
sight of the customer base.

It's pretty hard to find a PCI slot on a motherboard. A
Tenth Gen board seems to have one. These are provided by
a bridge chip, rather than coming off the Southbridge directly.
(My older system uses one of those bridge chips and it is
seamless and fine stuff.)

The PCi slot would be for the reuse of your sound card. There is not
a lot of brand new tenth gen boards available (I see some refurbs).

BluRay movie playback, at HD 1920 likely doesn't have
as much in the way of playback requirements. At 4K resolution,
you need an Intel security processor, and that's on the
tenth generation, but not on later processors. Intel had
to pin that off, because there was an exploit for it. SGX.
I have to be really careful about what I say about a topic
like this, because there are so many ways to pin it off,
it could happen at any time.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/606310/the-newest-intel-cpus-give-4k-blu-rays-a-1080p-downgrade.html

AVX512 has been pinned off on some newer Intel processors,
after they left the factory. You can pin them off in microcode
(multiple delivery vehicles, including the OS). Chips leaving
the factory have that lasered off now. To work in the first
place, the CPU core had to be downclocked, while the AVX512 block
was being used (part of avoiding thermal and power issues).
AVX512 doesn't have a lot of uses, except when it's used on
some of the benchmarking charts to "win a prize". Note that
AMD is making AVX512 appear for the first time, on their Zen4,
but the instruction set may not be absolutely identical. And
there's a chance it won't have the same issues as the Intel one.

1) Keep existing system, complete with potential software/hardware
for doing MIDI and the like. Keep the 7600GT in the existing system.
The 7600GT is unlikely to have a Windows 11 quality of driver,
like a WDDM 3.0 driver. I think I had Windows 10 running on my
BFG 7900GT that I got for $65 when BFG closed up, so you could
likely go as far as Windows 10.

2) Buy new system as "fancy 5GHz calculator". It will be fast as
blazes. With the fetish for M.2 flash storage, you cannot but help
to win benchmark races and so on. Buy a K rather than a KF processor,
as the KF does not have an internal GPU. You can save money by using
a processor that on ark.intel.com, lists a GPU as being present. Do
not waste your money on overpriced video cards. You can use the HDMI
or DP video connectors on a number of motherboards on their I/O plate,
to be able to use the internal GPU on the Intel processor. I keep a
handful of DP to VGA and HDMI to VGA adapters so the motherboard GPU
can talk to a VGA monitor.

Because of the I/O starvation on modern motherboards, they're no longer
a good match for "doing stuff". You can't have a hobby with one. but
you can likely "browse like stink", and when the browser goes into
a loop and slows down, you can take comfort in the knowledge it is
burning up 228W while spinning in 5GHz circles :-) You can turn off
turbo, if you don't want the fans to spin up with the Intel trickery.

Did I mention this is not my favorite time line ? Could you tell ?
The M.2 sockets have made a mockery of motherboards. It caused a
lot of expansion slots to disappear, and makes it impossible
to reuse very nice PCI based kit. They could have put the M.2 on
carrier boards. The could have used vertical connectors for the
M.2 and come up with adapters to hold them in space. If you've ever
tried to install an M.2 (I own one), they're a pain in the ass
compared to the simplicity of sliding a SATA tray into a case
and cabling up. This is why my M.2 has spent 99% of its life,
in the little cardboard box it lives in.

Paul

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Seeking advice on planned new build -- v3.0

By: David Samuel Barr on Thu, 20 Oct 2022

17David Samuel Barr