From: ken@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: CPU and heatsink cleaning
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 11:45:03 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 18:45 UTC

On 8/8/2021 11:06 AM, Paul wrote:
> [...]
> of the heating effect, I turned turbo off at BIOS level.
> Mine runs at 156W continuously in Prime95 *without* turbo.
> That's different than yours, which should run 65W continuous
> after the 28 second have passed.
>
> Some boards have the tau set to infinity, which means
> a gamer board could stay at the 224W level (because the
> user goes into the BIOS and sets the controls for that).
> The boards do not do that, out of the box, the gamer ones.
> Your B560 choice for example, is likely to follow the
> proscribed tau and power level. The Z590, depending on
> price, can support more aggressive or even outside-the-warranty
> operating conditions.
>
> I don't want VCore circuits that get hot. I know they now
> have closed loop feedback and cannot go into thermal runaway,
> but I also don't want a motherboard to die on me, and years
> have passed and I can't find a replacement motherboard to
> repair it.
>

>> Would that motherboard make a significant difference to me? Do you
>> recommend it? Or would you recommend some other one. It's an extra $150,
>> but I'd spring for it if it would madk a significant difference in
>> performance.
>>
>> The price I had budgeted for everything was $2,000, and I'm
>> significantly under that, so I'm open to spending a little more here and
>> there for significant improvements.
>
> I'm trying to factor in your estimated usage pattern, as
> well as include enough interesting interfaces so the thing is
> not a total bore.
>
> I don't see enough value on the Z590. First, there's the HDMI+DP
> (on your B560) versus just a single HDMI on the Z590. I'm not
> meeting your objective of driving two monitors that way. And graphics
> card available choices today are shitty, and I'm not going there.
> Integrated graphics is good enough now (won't play Crysis at 30FPS :-) ).
> There is always room for the required Crysis joke.
>
> The Z590 I/O plates don't seem to be full. What a bunch
> of cheap bastards. There are lanes to burn. Use them.
>
> The Z590 that offers "an option connector for Thunderbolt",
> well, put the damn Thunderbolt chip on your fancy board,
> don't tease us. It's like being "threatened with a gourmet
> meal and getting fries and ketchup in hand".
>
> That's the problem I see with the Z590. In the old days, the
> more expensive SKUs would deliver, on a full I/O plate, and
> some demonstrated value. All we're getting in the ones I've
> checked so far, is a higher price. Some have a couple Wifi
> connectors, but is that it ???
>
>> There's nothing sacred about that motherboard to me. Should I get the
>> Gigabyte Z590I Aorus Ultra instead? Or if you have a better suggestion
>> that will support the Intel i9 and two monitors and doesn't cost a
>> whole lot more, please tell me (see above).
>
> Keep a weather eye peeled, for "delivered features" versus "price".
> That's what I've tried to address in this post, but I haven't

So if I understand you correctly, unless a really good buy for something
else comes along, you think I should stick with

the ASRock B560M STEEL LEGEND LGA 1200 Intel B560 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX
Intel Motherboard

be quiet! 250W TDP Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler with Silent Wings - PWM
Fan - 135 mm

and no video card.

Am I right?

So, having changed the PSU to one you recommended, the complete list of
components now is

Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis with Window Cases
PH-ES614P_BK,Black 109.99 Newegg

Power Supply Corsair RMX Series, RM850x, 850 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified,
Fully Modular Power Supply (CP-9020180-NA) 144.88 Amazon

Motherboard ASRock B560M STEEL LEGEND LGA 1200 Intel B560 SATA 6Gb/s
Micro ATX Intel Motherboard 134.99 Newegg

CPU Intel Core i9-10900 389.99 Amazon

CPU Cooler be quiet! 250W TDP Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler with Silent
Wings - PWM Fan - 135 mm 84.9 Amazon

RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 (PC4 28800)
Int Model CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 189.98 Amazon

M2 Drive Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB Performance Internal Solid State Drive
SSD PCIe Gen4 X4 NVMe 1.3 394.99 Newegg

DVD Drive ASUS DRW-24F1ST - DVD SATA SUPERMULTI Burner - SERIAL ATA -
BLACK - OEM Bulk Drive 21.99 Amazon

For a total price of $1,471.71

Unless I hear otherwise from you or a better price on something better
comes along, that's what I'll go with.

Many thanks, once more.

--
Ken