Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:53:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: PS2200 Telnet setup
From: einar.a.flaathe@gmail.com (Einar Flaathe)
 by: Einar Flaathe - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:53 UTC

On Saturday, 29 April 2023 at 17:34:35 UTC+2, Einar Flaathe wrote:
> On Thursday, 6 September 2018 at 15:36:12 UTC+2, setala wrote:
> > Thanks Steve, I got it working!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --Saku OH6PU
> I am new to PS2200, and I have tried Steve Rikards instruction:
> "Here are the steps to allow telnet access to ps2200 in ROS."
> I started telnet on Windows 10, and from on the ROS consol I entered:
>
> cs a
> st cpcomm,,,0/security
> 0-ENTER C.L. FOR : .CPCOMM
> st silas,,,0/security
> 1-ENTER C.L. FOR : .SILAS
> putty;host 127.0.0.3;select telcon (port 23)
> KEY ERROR
> Command:
>
> I would like to be able to have FTP access to ps2200 on port 21 as well.
>
> WS_FTP Professional worked well with ClearPath MCP Express (host type Unisys A-series) and
> it has setting for host type OS2200.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> Einar Flaathe

I had another go - but it's still not working, viz:
ROS consol
cs a
st cpcomm,,,0/security
0-ENTER C.L. FOR : .CPCOMM
st silas,,,0/security
1-ENTER C.L. FOR : .SILAS
Command:

Microsoft Telnet> o
( to ) 127.0.0.3
Connecting To 127.0.0.3...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed
Microsoft Telnet>

Einar
From: Crash <nogood@dontbother.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Subject: For those interested: a timeline of Borroughs/Unisys LINC and Jade
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 15:49:33 +1200

This is by far the most comprehensive compilation of the history of
Sir Gill Simpson and Peter Hoskins right through the various
iterations of the LINC Development Centre and JADE Software
corporation:

https://tinyurl.com/2wb33k8p

For those like me who were tied into the initial journey at BLDC and
ULDC this makes interesting reading.

--
Crash McBash
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 10:43:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Burroughs Mini-D
From: Al Kossow <aek@bitsavers.org>

On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 4:25:06=E2=80=AFPM UTC-7, Al Kossow wrote:
=20
> I'm becoming concerned that what may have been produced about these syste=
ms has been lost.

I went back and looked at the implementations information I have for the 70=
0/800/80/90 systems last night and
they do run an interpreted system language on top of a microcoded 16 bit pr=
ocessor. Even on the B1000 side with
the internal memos that I have there was apparently no detailed documents o=
n how the systems actually worked
beyond the communicates and data structures which changed with each release=
..
I'm assuming if you had the need to know, you would just look at the source=
code and none of this information was
really ever released to customers.

The situation is much worse for the non-B1000 small systems. I've not even =
been able to find field service documentation
beyond some schematic sets for those systems.

.
From: David W Schroth <davidschroth@harrietmanor.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Subject: Re: scale-out of OS2200
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 22:16:05 -0500

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 07:30:21 -0700, Stephen Fuld
<sfuld@alumni.cmu.edu.invalid> wrote:

>On 6/29/2023 6:33 PM, Kurt Duncan wrote:
>> So, just spit-balling ideas here.
>> Suppose one could break out the OS into modules, then set up multiple instances of the various modules a la micro-services.
>
>I am not sure exactly what you are proposing here, nor what the
>advantages of it are. See below for specifics.

My take is someone has a shaky grasp of how Operting Systems
(including OS2200) are structured.

>> One could re-imagine the idea of shared directories... each major MFD instance is a separately managed directory, as a service.
>
>Does this mean that a file name has to specify somehow which MFD
>instance it is in, or does a run specify which instance all files that
>run references belong to? What if a run wants to access a file in a
>different instance? Or do you mean multiple copies of the same
>information? In that case, updates have to be propagated to multiple
>instances. Both are messy, and what do you gain?
>

>> TIP is a service, and you could scale out as many instances of that as you need, with all the IO on the back end being handled by one or more of the MFD services.
>

>Sounds like early CICS on IBM S/360. Multiple "instances" of CICS, each
>managing its own set of transactions. It is costly performance wise as
>you are doing CPU dispatching twice, once in the OS and once in the CICS
>instance. There is a reason why TIP tended to out perform CICS.

I tend to believe the per-Application Group does a better job of
partitioning transactions.

>> Spin up one or more database instances as needed.
>
>What is an instance here? The common code to handle the database? Why
>waste the space? The user code? Already done. Again, I am not sure
>what you mean here.

Each Application Grop is a different DMS instance. I forget just hom
many Application Groups are currently supporte, I'm pretty sure it is
more than 10.

>> Spin up two or three batch services for nightly processing.
>>
>> Spin up a DEMAND service, and if you get more than say, 100 users on that one service, spin up another one.
>
>One of the really nice things about OS/2200 is that batch and demand
>share so much of the same facilities, both within the OS, and things
>like ECL? What is the advantage of separating and duplicating them?
>And what does adding another instance of a demand service if one get
>over 100 users buy you?
>

>> Same thing with BIS.
>
>IIRC BIS is what used to be called MAPPER. If so, I think you can have
>multiple Mapper runs open simultaneously. I don't know if anyone does
>this, and why?
>

>> Then you would truly have cloud-native...ish OS2200. Thoughts?
>
>My initial thoughts are that it seems like a lot of work for minimal
>benefit. But I freely admit, I don't fully understand your proposal. :-(
>
>One further note. Your talk of "cloudish" could be sort of like
>multiple 2200s in a shared disk environment. I don't know if such
>configurations are still supported.

As far as I know, we still support multiple 2200s in a shared disk
environment. I typically have demand sessions open on RS06, RS08,
RS15, and RS36 when I'm working. My Exec builds run from shared file
sets, RS06 PRIMUS (a DMS application) runs on all systems in the RS06
omplex. And I know there are other 2200 systems in the RS06 complex.

Regards,

David W. Schroth
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 18:18:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: psilocybin mushrooms for sale online // https://psychedelichub.shop
From: darksun wylde <darksunwylde@gmail.com>

PSILOCYBIN MUSHROOMS FOR SALE ONLINE=20

Title: Exploring the World of Psilocybin Mushrooms for Sale Online: A Look =
at https://PsychedelicHub.shop

Introduction:

In recent years, there has been a growing interest in the potential therape=
utic benefits of psychedelics, particularly psilocybin mushrooms. As a resu=
lt, the online market for psilocybin mushrooms has expanded, providing indi=
viduals with an alternative way to access these substances. One such websit=
e that has gained attention is https://PsychedelicHub.shop. In this article=
, we'll explore the world of psilocybin mushrooms for sale online and take =
a closer look at https://PsychedelicHub.shop.

The Rise of Psilocybin Mushrooms:

Psilocybin mushrooms, also known as magic mushrooms or shrooms, have a long=
history of use in various cultures for spiritual and medicinal purposes. T=
he active compound, psilocybin, interacts with serotonin receptors in the b=
rain, leading to altered perception, enhanced creativity, and profound intr=
ospection. Research suggests that psilocybin may have therapeutic potential=
for treating mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, and PTS=
D.

The Online Market for Psilocybin Mushrooms:

The internet has revolutionized the way people access products and services=
, and psychedelics are no exception. Online platforms have emerged as a con=
venient and discreet way to purchase psilocybin mushrooms. It is important =
to note that laws regarding the sale and possession of psilocybin mushrooms=
vary by country and even within different regions. Therefore, it is crucia=
l to understand and abide by the legal framework in your jurisdiction befor=
e considering any purchase.

https://PsychedelicHub.shop: A Closer Look:

https://PsychedelicHub.shop is a website that claims to offer a wide variet=
y of psilocybin mushrooms for sale. Upon visiting the website, you'll find =
an inviting and user-friendly interface, providing an easy-to-navigate brow=
sing experience. The platform showcases an extensive selection of psilocybi=
n mushroom strains, including popular varieties like Golden Teacher, B+, Am=
azonian, and more.

One notable feature of https://PsychedelicHub.shop is its commitment to qua=
lity and safety. The website claims to source their products from reputable=
growers, ensuring that the mushrooms are cultivated under controlled condi=
tions to maintain potency and minimize the risk of contamination. Additiona=
lly, they claim to employ discreet packaging methods, prioritizing customer=
privacy.

Safety and Legality Considerations:

While the online market for psilocybin mushrooms offers convenience, buyers=
must exercise caution. It is vital to conduct thorough research and exerci=
se due diligence when considering any online purchase. Factors to consider =
include the reputation and reliability of the website, customer reviews and=
feedback, and adherence to legal and safety standards.

Furthermore, it is essential to emphasize the importance of responsible use=
and harm reduction. Psilocybin mushrooms are potent substances that can in=
duce intense experiences, and they should be approached with respect and ca=
ution. It is advisable to seek guidance from trained professionals or parti=
cipate in legally sanctioned psychedelic therapy programs if intending to u=
se psilocybin mushrooms for therapeutic purposes.

Conclusion:

As interest in the therapeutic potential of psilocybin mushrooms continues =
to grow, the online market for these substances has expanded. Websites like=
https://PsychedelicHub.shop aim to provide individuals with a convenient a=
nd discreet means of accessing psilocybin mushrooms. However, it is crucial=
to remember that the legal and safety aspects surrounding psychedelics var=
y across jurisdictions. Responsible research, adherence to laws, and priori=
tizing personal safety should always be the top priority when considering a=
ny
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 13:47:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Speaking of the 1110 AKA 1100/40 and its two types of memory ...
From: Lewis Cole <l_cole@juno.com>

On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 9:14:50=E2=80=AFAM UTC-7, Stephen Fuld wrote:
>> On 8/13/2023 10:18 PM, Lewis Cole wrote:
>> So just for giggles, I've been thinking=20
>> more about what (if anything) can be=20
>> done to improve system performance by=20
>> tweaks to a CPU's cache architecture.
>> I've always thought that having a=20
>> separate cache for supervisor mode=20
>> references and user mode references=20
>> _SHOULD_ make things faster, but when=20
>> I poked around old stuff on the=20
>> Internet about caches from the=20
>> beginning of time, I found that while=20
>> Once Upon A Time, separate supervisor=20
>> mode and user mode caches were=20
>> considered something to try, they=20
>> were apparently abandoned because a=20
>> unified cache seemed to work better=20
>> in simulations. Surprise, surprise.
>
> Yeah. Only using half the cache at any one time would seem to decrease
> performance. :-)

Of course, the smiley face indicates that you are being facetious.
But just on the off chance that someone wandering through the group might t=
ake you seriously, let me point out that re-purposing half of a cache DOES =
NOT necessarily reduce performance, and may in fact increase it if the way =
that the "missing" half is used somehow manages to increase the overall hit=
rate ... such as reducing a unified cache that's used to store both code a=
nd data with a separate i-cache for holding instructions and a separate d-c=
ache for holding data which is _de rigueur_ on processor caches these days.

I think it should be clear from the multiple layers of cache these days, ea=
ch layer being slower but larger than the one above it, that the further yo=
u go down (towards memory), the more a given cache is supposed to cache ins=
tructions/data that is "high use", but not so much as what's in the cache a=
bove it.
And even since the beginning of time (well ... since real live multi-taskin=
g OS appeared), it has been obvious that processors tend to spend most of t=
heir time in supervisor mode (OS) code rather than in user (program) code.
From what I've read, the reason why separate supervisor and user mode cache=
s performed worse than a unified cache was because of all the bouncing arou=
nd through out the OS that was done.
Back in The Good Old days where caches were very small essentially single l=
ayer, it is easy to imagine that a substantial fraction of any OS code/data=
(including that of a toy) could not fit in the one and only small cache an=
d would not stay there for very long if it somehow managed to get there.
But these days, caches are huge (especially the lower level ones) and it do=
esn't seem all that unimaginable to me that you could fit and keep a substa=
ntial portion of any OS laying around in one of the L3 caches of today ... =
or worse yet, in a L4 cache if a case for better performance can be made.

>> This seems just so odd to me and so=20
>> I've been wondering how much this=20
>> result is an artifact of the toy OS=20
>> that as used in the simulations=20
>> (Unix) or the (by today's standards)=20
>> small single layer caches used.
>> This got me to thinking about the=20
>> 1110 AKA 1100/40 which had no caches=20
>> but did have two different types of=20
>> memory with different access speeds.
>> (I've always thought of the 1110=20
>> AKA 1100/40 as such an ugly machine=20
>> that I've always ignored it and=20
>> therefore remained ignorant of it=20
>> even when I worked for the Company.)
>> To the extent that the faster (but=20
>> smaller) memory could be viewed as=20
>> a "cache" with a 100% hit rate, I've=20
>> been wondering about how performance=20
>> differed based on memory placement=20
>> back then.
>
> According to the 1110 system description on Bitsavers, the cycle time
> for the primary memory (implemented as plated wire) was 325ns for a read
> and 520ns for a write, whereas the extended memory (the same core
> modules as used for the 1106 main memory) had 1,500 ns cycle time, so a
> substantial difference, especially for reads.

Yes.

> But it really wasn't a cache. While there was a way to use the a
> channel in a back-to back configuration, to transfer memory blocks from
> one type of memory to the other (i.e. not use BT instructions), IIRC,
> this was rarely used.

No, it wasn't a cache, which I thought I made clear in my OP.
Nevertheless, I think one can reasonably view/think of "primary" memory as =
if it were a slower memory that just happened to be cached where just by so=
me accident, the cache would always return a hit.
Perhaps this seems weird to you, but it seems like a convenient tool to me =
to see if there might be any advantage to having separate supervisor mode a=
nd user mode caches.

>> Was the Exec (whatever level it=20
>> might have been ... between 27=20
>> and 33?) mostly or wholly loaded=20
>> into the faster memory?
>
> IIRC, 27 was the last 1108/1106 only level. 28 was an internal
> Roseville level to start the integration of 1110 support. Level 29
> (again IIRC) was the second internal version, perhaps also used for
> early beta site 1110 customers; 30 was the first 1110 version, released
> on a limited basis primarily to 1110 customers, while 31 was the general
> stable release.

Thanks for the history.

>> Was there special code (I think=20
>> there was) that prioritized=20
>> placement of certain things in=20
>> memory and if so how?
>
> There were options on the bank collector statements to specify prefer or
> require either primary or extended memory. If you didn't specify, the
> default was I-banks in primary, D-banks in extended. That made sense,
> as all instructions required an I-bank read, but many instructions don't
> require a D-bank reference (e.g. register to register, j=3DU or XU,
> control transfer instructions), and the multiple D-bank instructions
>(e.g. Search and BT) were rare. Also, since I-banks were almost
> entirely reads, you took advantage of the faster read cycle time.
>
> Also, I suspect most programs had a larger D-bank than I-bank, and since
> you typically had more extended than primary memory, this allowed more
> optimal use of the expensive primary memory.
>
> I don't remember what parts of the Exec were where, but I suspect it was
> the same as for user programs. Of course, the interrupt vector
> instructions had to be in primary due to their hardware fixed addresses.

For me, life started with 36 level by which time *BOOT1, et. al. had given =
way to *BTBLK, et. al.
Whatever the old bootstrap did, the new one tried to place the Exec I- and =
D-banks at opposite ends of memory, presumably so that concurrent accesses =
stood a better chance of not blocking one another due to being in a physica=
lly different memory that was often times interleaved.
IIRC, whether or not this was actually useful, it didn't change until M-Ser=
ies hit the fan with paging.

>> What sort of performance gains=20
>> did use of the faster memory=20
>> produce or conversely what sort=20
>> of performance penalties occur=20
>> when it wasn't?
>
> As you can see from the different cycle times, the differences were
> substantial.

Yes, but do you know of anything that would suggest things were faster/slow=
er because a lot of the OS was in primary storage most of the time ... IOW =
something that would support/refute the idea that separate supervisor and u=
ser mode caches might now be A Good Idea?

>> IOW, anyone care to dig up some=20
>> old memories about the 1110 AKA=20
>> 1100/40 you'd like to regale me=20
>> with? Enquiring minds want to know.
>
> I hope this helps. :-)

Yes, it does, but feel free to add more.

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 10:07:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: B80/800/1800 CMS
From: Al Kossow <aek@bitsavers.org>

On Sunday, May 7, 2023 at 8:27:58=E2=80=AFAM UTC-7, Al Kossow wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 16, 2022 at 3:48:18=E2=80=AFPM UTC-7, Duncan Fenton wr=
ote:=20
> > Hi,=20
> > I was the lead developer of the CMS (internally SL9) MCP working in Cum=
bernauld from 1972 thru 1978. The SL9 software (MCP, compilers, utilities) =
was planned from the start to run on B80 (Cumbernauld), B800 (Downingtown) =
and B1800 (Liege) series. That was achieved by each plant writing a suite o=
f microcoded interpreters to emulate the same virtual machine for compiled =
COBOL and MPL bytecodes. [This concept is now used for the Java Virtual Mac=
hine and others.] The MCP kernel was hand coded (in microcode) at each part=
icipating plant to a common spec - the "SL9 virtual machine".=20

> Have you kept any documentation, or software?=20
>=20
> I'm trying to fill in my documentation collection from the product series=
and I have almost nothing on the later machines.=20
> Oddly, I did come across schematic sets.

CHM recently received several binders full of sales brochures for the CMS a=
nd accounting machine products. I've been working on scanning them and uplo=
ading to http://bitsavers.org/pdf/burroughs. This information doesn't appea=
r to be available anywhere else on the web.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 07:18:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Visual IDE and MCP
From: ramseyhere <ramseyle@gmail.com>

Has anyone developed any practices for migrating from the world of Programmer's Workbench to Visual IDE? I have clients that are interested, and I've not gone down that road myself yet.

ler
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 10:13:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: ASET (Authoring & Delivery System for Education and Training
From: Danny Doyle <db.doyle@gmail.com>

On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 3:51:16=E2=80=AFPM UTC, Scott Lurndal wrot=
e:

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: PS2200 Telnet setup

By: Einar Flaathe on Sat, 29 Apr 2023