From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Who is peering all these spams ostensibly from Google Groups?
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 07:10:42 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 07:10 UTC

In article <ukjopv$bqb$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>,
Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> [...]
>Google Groups is taken away.
>
>I wanted to see if I could see the Path: for spam in Google Groups as it
>would be remarkably short if the spam existed in Google Groups and was
>originating in Google Groups. But, sadly, "Show original message" is
>greyed out.
>
>> I use it only for a lookup/search/reference engine, which it's very good at
>> but I wouldn't even think of posting using Google Groups for all the
>> reasons that nobody would be caught dead using AOL in the olden days.
>
>In my not so humble opinion, AOL at it's worst still has a better
>reputation than Google currently does amongst news and email administrators.
>
>If Google wasn't as big as they are, more admins would have blocked them
>already.
>
>It is only Google's size that causes admins to hesitate.
>
>> OK. So you think it's coming from Google. And that means Google either
>> doesn't know about it - or - Google isn't doing anything about it.
>
>I very strongly believe that it's the latter; Google isn't doing
>anything (effective) about it.
>
>> Is there any way to "complain" to Google to figure out which it is?
>
>I wasn't able to find anything effective while I was on the inside. In
>fact, I was given -- let's go with -- the cold shoulder brush off and
>actively discouraged to try to make things better.
>
>> The PATH (read right to left of course) isn't meaningful when anyone clever
>> can inject components into it.
>
>But my understanding and working premises is that /not/ /just/ /anyone/
>can spoof the Path: header.
>
>> I don't know what portion of the path is inviolable though.
>> Do you?
>
>Both all of it for the average user and none of it for a news administrator.
>
>My working understanding / premises is that news servers do not accept a
>from other news servers. The news server appends it's name / path to
>the left side of the Path: header contents.
>
>As such, the only way to get postnews.google.com and / or
>google-groups.googlegroups.com into the path without actually passing
>through it is for a news server, or someone with news peer level access.
>
>As you can probably see from a number of newsgroups, the text-only news
>server community is relatively small and cooperative as well as being
>well motivated to stop the spam.
>
>I remain convinced that if there was someone pretending to be Google
>originating this spam, that the community would have an idea and would
>be working to depeer them.
>
>> Assuming they're injecting into the path, what part of the path in the
>> previously listed spams do you think are actually real?
>
>I have not seen any reason to doubt the Path: because of the special
>nature of the Path: header.
>
>Maybe I'm wrong. If I am, please correct / enlighten me. I'd like to
>learn more.
>
>But everything that I've experienced thus far either directly indicates
>or supports that the spam is originating from Google Groups.

Still paralyse GG by depeering them.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Who is peering all these spams ostensibly from Google Groups?

By: Wally J on Sun, 3 Dec 2023

109Wally J