Newsgroups: comp.misc,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.republicans
From: bud@campo.verano.it (Bud Spencer)
Subject: Re: An open letter to Elon Musk
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 16:17:01 +0300
 by: Bud Spencer - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 13:17 UTC

On Sun, 24 Jul 2022, 25B.Z959 wrote:

> On 7/24/22 8:18 PM, Bud Spencer wrote:

>>> I get how Retroshare works, and from a technical standpoint, I think it's
>>> fantastic. In practice, however, the exception you take to my experience
>>> does two
>>> things: it proves my point and reflects the difference between Retroshare
>>> and
>>> Twitter.
>>>
>>> When one starts up Retroshare for the first time and makes the certs and
>>> so
>>> forth, it's an empty slate. This reveals the problem Retroshare has with
>>> the
>>> network effect: while everyone uses Twitter because everyone uses Twitter,
>>> telling your friends "use Retroshare so we can make our own network" is an
>>> incredibly uphill battle that doesn't involve finding new people one
>>> doesn't
>>> already know.
>>> So, the go-to solution for growing one's network in order to engage in a
>>> community is to do what I did: do some Google searches and add random
>>> users who
>>> post their public keys on message boards and start growing the network.
>>> This is
>>> what I did, which led to the Newcomers Lobby I ended up joining, where
>>> people
>>> exchanged keys readily. I had nearly 200 people in my network at this
>>> point; many
>>> of them were unconnectable (one of Retroshare's issues is that it's
>>> extremely
>>> limited when users have CGNAT)...but I did have a pretty decent number of
>>> 'friends of friends' that yielded some actual chatrooms and some posts on
>>> the
>>> asynchronous one-to-many message boards (the "usenet-esque" function I
>>> described). It was at this point where I started encountering the content
>>> I
>>> described.
>>>
>>> Retroshare works when the goal is for an insular community to connect, but
>>> that's
>>> not creating new connections. Moreover, even when a set of users do what I
>>> did,
>>> communication isn't necessarily effective - message board replies may not
>>> replicate all the way back to the person to whom one replies. Usenet
>>> solves this
>>> with NNTP peering, but Retroshare has no similar mechanism beyond nodes
>>> that are
>>> functionally centralized.
>>>
>>> All of that being said, the point I was making about Retroshare is that
>>> the
>>> community that I stumbled into was the sort of community that most people
>>> would
>>> consider 'unwelcoming' at the very least. "Just disconnect from those
>>> nodes"
>>> becomes extremely difficult to implement on any kind of scale, especially
>>> due to
> [...]

Sorry ... but your incoherent rambling doesn't make any sense ... WTF you
mean with "Humans still have the same "buttons" to press"

Please elaborate, or am I just too fucking dumb?

--
₪ BUD ₪

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o An open letter to Elon Musk

By: Spiros Bousbouras on Thu, 21 Jul 2022

62Spiros Bousbouras