From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2024?
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 13:10:01 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 13:10 UTC

Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote at 19:03 this Monday (GMT):
> [...]
>> spark, creativity. It's pablum: filling, but not tasty.
>>
>> None of its mechanics are particularly satisfying. The combat is
>> merely okay. Heavily reliant on ranged attacks, it feels very messy
>> when the monsters inevitably rush up right into your face. The camera
>> is workable but everything feels a bit too close. The stealth feels
>> half-baked. The platforming lacks style. The characters are all
>> forgettable, the cinematics unexciting, the story trite and
>> predictable. None of it is terrible, but nothing stands out either.
>> There's no sense of adventure or being part of an experience. It feels
>> safe, humdrum. You know exactly what sort of game this will be five
>> minutes in, and it neither exceeds nor disappoints in that expectation
>> throughout its forty-hour length.
>>
>> I wasn't unhappy playing "Horizon: Zero Dawn". It kept me playing for
>> hours-long sessions, exploring its overly-large open-world,
>> discovering all the various doodads and artifacts that typically are
>> scattered in its numerous nooks and crannies. I killed innumerable
>> monsters and liberated many bandit camps. I bought weapons, harvested
>> resources, and upgraded everything to its maximum potential. I climbed
>> towers and unlocked maps. I maxed out my stats. I ran up to all the
>> NPCs with a glowing green exclamation mark hanging over the heads and
>> helped them out with all their many errands. I even solved the mystery
>> hanging over the main quest. I didn't lack for things to do, and none
>> of my many hours spent in the game felt completely wasted. But neither
>> did I feel any real excitement. Everything felt very mechanical, very
>> paint-by-numbers. The end result might have been a pretty picture, but
>> it was a picture I'd seen dozens of times before.
>>
>> Which is to say, exactly the sort of experience I expect from a modern
>> triple-A studio production.
>>

>> ---------------------------------------
>>
>> So that's my month. What about you? How did you spend your time?
>> Simply put:
>>
>> What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2024?
>>

> I have been playing and finished Shadows of War.
> This game actually was pretty good despite (or maybe because) it played
> a bit fast and lose with the Tolkien legendarium.
> The true star of the show was of course the Nemesis system, which
> allowed the randomly generated orcs you meet to have some actual
> personality and history with you. I think most of the game's huge size
> (over 100gb which is kinda insane) might have been made up of assets to
> create this huge variety of characters. Even after playing 90 hours on
> this game I still was encountering variations that I hadn't met, or at
> least not recognized before.
>
> The ending was a bit weak, the DLC promised some more thorough ending,
> but in the end it also was quite a letdown. It ended with a cliffhanger
> that didn't really feel like it had the impact they wanted from it.
> (Sauron is defeated and the Bright Lord escapes).

It's wild to me that DLC can just retroactively "fix" a game's ending.
IMO, the only game that did it well was the first Phoenix Wright.

> This was nominally the game Middle-Earth 2, even if you'd be hard
> pressed to remember that main title. Unfortunately it doesn't look like
> we are getting a part 3.
> I did hear WB games is working on a Wonder Woman game implementing the
> Nemesis system from this game, which... I dunno. it doesn't sound quite
> right. Might be good if they put some work into it.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o What Have You Been Playing... IN MARCH 2024?

By: Spalls Hurgenson on Mon, 1 Apr 2024

64Spalls Hurgenson