"Success covers a multitude of blunders." -- George Bernard Shaw

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Horror Story -- They Happen Sometimes

SubjectAuthor
* Horror Story -- They Happen SometimesLord Master
+- Re: Horror Story -- They Happen SometimesChris Ahlstrom
+- Re: Horror Story -- They Happen SometimesJoel
+- Re: Horror Story -- They Happen SometimesStéphane CARPENTIER
`- Re: Horror Story -- They Happen SometimesDFS

1
Horror Story -- They Happen Sometimes

<e0c7903d-f153-4d02-9efa-9da47d540c6en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9999&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9999

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:46:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Horror Story -- They Happen Sometimes
From: lordiemassa@gmail.com (Lord Master)
 by: Lord Master - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 18:46 UTC

This story is for experts. Distro jockeys get lost.

I performed my Gentoo update over the weekend. The next time I booted my system it just hung.

The messages indicated that the keyboard was being sensed by the kernel and so I assumed the keyboard was faulty. I ripped a keyboard from my Microslop machine and used that in place of the supposed defective one. Then I rebooted. No joy. The boot process stalled in the same place.

But this is a FUNCTIONING keyboard. On no! My motherboard therefore must be FUBAR. I've to get a whole new machine! Oh no!

Work had to be done so I transitioned to another GNU/Linux machine. I booted and it hung at the same fucking place. What is going wrong here? How can both machines be failing at the exact same place?
This other machine was updated simultaneously with the first machine. Therefore, something in the updates must be the cause. But what?

I checked my update record. One package stood out: util-linux.

Using a backup I downgraded util-linux to the previous version. Both machines booted!

Hoorah!

But what the fuck happened with util-linux?

Util-linux contains the "mount" command, which, during boot, mounts all filesystems that are listed in /etc/fstab.

During boot this occurs right after the keyboard and mouse, et. al. are configured by the kernel.

This was it! For sure! But what the fuck was it?

I found this:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=83e6d06addde9b8beac5ab796e7429e7ab5c742c

A patch has been removed to deal with the "statx" system call in libmount.
Somehow this caused the issue.

I need to file a bug report.

But after some sweaty and sickening hours I got my systems back.

Re: Horror Story -- They Happen Sometimes

<uqgdpi$276tv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10001&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10001

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Horror Story -- They Happen Sometimes
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 13:52:34 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 18:52 UTC

Lord Master wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> This story is for experts. Distro jockeys get lost.
>
> I performed my Gentoo update over the weekend. The next time I booted my
> system it just hung.
>
> The messages indicated that the keyboard was being sensed by the kernel and
> so I assumed the keyboard was faulty. I ripped a keyboard from my Microslop
> machine and used that in place of the supposed defective one. Then I
> rebooted. No joy. The boot process stalled in the same place.
>
> But this is a FUNCTIONING keyboard. On no! My motherboard therefore must
> be FUBAR. I've to get a whole new machine! Oh no!
>
> Work had to be done so I transitioned to another GNU/Linux machine. I booted
> and it hung at the same fucking place. What is going wrong here? How can
> both machines be failing at the exact same place?
>
> This other machine was updated simultaneously with the first machine.
> Therefore, something in the updates must be the cause. But what?
>
> I checked my update record. One package stood out: util-linux.
>
> Using a backup I downgraded util-linux to the previous version. Both
> machines booted!
>
> Hoorah!
>
> But what the fuck happened with util-linux?
>
> Util-linux contains the "mount" command, which, during boot, mounts all
> filesystems that are listed in /etc/fstab.
>
> During boot this occurs right after the keyboard and mouse, et. al. are
> configured by the kernel.
>
> This was it! For sure! But what the fuck was it?
>
> I found this:
>
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=83e6d06addde9b8beac5ab796e7429e7ab5c742c
>
> A patch has been removed to deal with the "statx" system call in libmount.
> Somehow this caused the issue.
>
> I need to file a bug report.
>
> But after some sweaty and sickening hours I got my systems back.

Ugh. I hate when that happens (but it's been a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
time for my setups).

--
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-- Wm. Shakespeare, "The Tempest"

Re: Horror Story -- They Happen Sometimes

<5vfnsit20sa7gnnm58jkrq0grb0144l4si@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10007&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10007

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 14:17:14 -0500
 by: Joel - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:17 UTC

Lord Master <lordiemassa@gmail.com> wrote:

>This story is for experts. Distro jockeys get lost.
>
>I performed my Gentoo update over the weekend. The next time I booted my system it just hung.
>
>The messages indicated that the keyboard was being sensed by the kernel and so I assumed the keyboard was faulty. I ripped a keyboard from my Microslop machine and used that in place of the supposed defective one. Then I rebooted. No joy. The boot process stalled in the same place.
>
>But this is a FUNCTIONING keyboard. On no! My motherboard therefore must be FUBAR. I've to get a whole new machine! Oh no!
>
>Work had to be done so I transitioned to another GNU/Linux machine. I booted and it hung at the same fucking place. What is going wrong here? How can both machines be failing at the exact same place?
>
>This other machine was updated simultaneously with the first machine. Therefore, something in the updates must be the cause. But what?
>
>I checked my update record. One package stood out: util-linux.
>
>Using a backup I downgraded util-linux to the previous version. Both machines booted!
>
>Hoorah!
>
>But what the fuck happened with util-linux?
>
>Util-linux contains the "mount" command, which, during boot, mounts all filesystems that are listed in /etc/fstab.
>
>During boot this occurs right after the keyboard and mouse, et. al. are configured by the kernel.
>
>This was it! For sure! But what the fuck was it?
>
>I found this:
>
>https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=83e6d06addde9b8beac5ab796e7429e7ab5c742c
>
>A patch has been removed to deal with the "statx" system call in libmount.
>Somehow this caused the issue.
>
>I need to file a bug report.
>
>But after some sweaty and sickening hours I got my systems back.

You have fun with such BS, I'll just keep using my "distro" and not
having such problems.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Horror Story -- They Happen Sometimes

<65cfd9ee$0$5299$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10272&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10272

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 16 Feb 2024 21:55:58 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 21:55 UTC

Le 13-02-2024, Lord Master <lordiemassa@gmail.com> a écrit :

> I performed my Gentoo update over the weekend. The next time I booted
> my system it just hung.

I'm not that surprised.

> The messages indicated that the keyboard was being sensed by the
> kernel and so I assumed the keyboard was faulty. I ripped a keyboard
> from my Microslop machine and used that in place of the supposed
> defective one. Then I rebooted. No joy. The boot process stalled in
> the same place.

So, you are explaining you are better at managing a Windows machine than
a Linux machine. You shouldn't be too noisy about it.

> But this is a FUNCTIONING keyboard.

Of course: a Linux update can't break a keyboard.

> My motherboard therefore must be FUBAR.

Wrong deduction.

> I've to get a whole new machine! Oh no!

What for? To display only a black screen?

> What is going wrong here?

That's easy to answer. You are wrong.

> How can both machines be failing at the exact same place?

Because you are the one managing them both.

> This other machine was updated simultaneously with the first machine.

Exactly my point.

> Therefore, something in the updates must be the cause.

Yes, of course.

> But what?

Once again, the answer is easy: you.

> I found this:
>
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=83e6d06addde9b8beac5ab796e7429e7ab5c742c

Ok, so you just have been impacted by something done almost two month
ago? You are not that bleeding edge.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Horror Story -- They Happen Sometimes

<r43BN.391224$xHn7.96100@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10496&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10496

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 09:56:23 -0500
 by: DFS - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 14:56 UTC

On 2/13/2024 1:46 PM, Lord Master wrote:

> This story is for experts.
> I found this:
>
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=83e6d06addde9b8beac5ab796e7429e7ab5c742c
>
> A patch has been removed to deal with the "statx" system call in libmount.
> Somehow this caused the issue.
>
> I need to file a bug report.
>
> But after some sweaty and sickening hours I got my systems back.

"All problems with GNU/Linux arise with the candy-ass dummies that seek
a freebie that will hold their hands like Microshit/Apphole."
- Feeb