From: Paul@sprie.nl (Paul Sprangers)
Subject: New prog: Game of Life
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 17:35:25 +0100 (Custom)
 by: Paul Sprangers - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 16:35 UTC

Dear all,

Version 1.13 of !GoL is ready for download.

Apart from some bug fixes, a new logo, a larger grid, and a far more
intuitive manipulation of the grid dimensions, !GoL can now also read some
of the many alien Life file formats. A lot of time has been put into the
extraction of the 700+ patterns from the official Life Lexicon library
(https://bitstorm.org/gameoflife/lexicon/). As a bonus, the program comes
with 3 other archives, one of which contains the shapes that Chris Taylor
included in his magnificent !MacroLife. The manual is partly revised.

Download: www.riscos.sprie.nl/sprang.riscos/Downloads/GoL.zip

Kind regards,

http://www.riscos.sprie.nl

Re: New prog: Game of Life

<bd96179959.jmb@jmc.bruck.orange.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1107&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1107

From: jmc.bruck@orange.fr (Jean-Michel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: New prog: Game of Life
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:58:13 +0100
 by: Jean-Michel - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:58 UTC

Hi
In message <599415982bPaul@sprie.nl>
Paul Sprangers <Paul@sprie.nl> wrote:

> Dear all,

> Version 1.13 of !GoL is ready for download.

> Apart from some bug fixes, a new logo, a larger grid, and a far more
> intuitive manipulation of the grid dimensions, !GoL can now also read some
> of the many alien Life file formats. A lot of time has been put into the
> extraction of the 700+ patterns from the official Life Lexicon library
> (https://bitstorm.org/gameoflife/lexicon/). As a bonus, the program comes
> with 3 other archives, one of which contains the shapes that Chris Taylor
> included in his magnificent !MacroLife. The manual is partly revised.

> Download: www.riscos.sprie.nl/sprang.riscos/Downloads/GoL.zip

> Kind regards,
> Paul

Thank you for this new version.
when editing a new grid, if the chosen shape is a square, it is not drawn
correctly and the window must be refreshed "manually".

This problem disappears if we use circles.

--
Jean-Michel

Re: New prog: Game of Life

<59991d1b5cPaul@sprie.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1108&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1108

From: Paul@sprie.nl (Paul Sprangers)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 11:58:29 +0100 (Custom)
 by: Paul Sprangers - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:58 UTC

In article <bd96179959.jmb@jmc.bruck.orange.fr>,
Jean-Michel <jmc.bruck@orange.fr> wrote:

> when editing a new grid, if the chosen shape is a square, it is not
> drawn correctly and the window must be refreshed "manually".
> This problem disappears if we use circles.

I think this is a 'rounding' problem. The grid isn't created by drawing
lines, but by plotting square characters from the Selwyn font. In order to
achieve a grid of any possible size, the font size is defined by rational
numbers, rather than by integers. Its precision however isn't infinite,
reason why some dimensions produce ugly grids, or produce traces when a
black square is deleted. The effect is as unpredictable as the game itself.
Using circles doesn't really change this, but reduces the effect to nearly
invisible. Making some tiny adjustments to the dimensions of the grid is
usually enough to get rid of the effect.

Kind regards,

http://www.riscos.sprie.nl