From: jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Disable nnrpd group logging?
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:20:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:20 UTC

I think I've read the relevant man pages but may have missed it, but I'm
looking for a way to disable nnrpd logging. More specifically, I don't want
the news.notice log filling up with 'group' lines.

Authentication and post commands are the items I feel I need to see, the rest
are statistic oriented IMHO. Looking over things I don't see a way to
accomplish that unless I filter with syslog. Just want to make sure I'm not
missing an option that might accomplish that in inn.conf/readers.conf.

Cheers,

Jesse

Re: Disable nnrpd group logging?

<ta9qst$1f6mp$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=971&group=news.software.nntp#971

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Disable nnrpd group logging?
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 19:52:29 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:52 UTC

Hi Jesse,

> I think I've read the relevant man pages but may have missed it, but I'm
> looking for a way to disable nnrpd logging. More specifically, I don't want
> the news.notice log filling up with 'group' lines.
>
> Authentication and post commands are the items I feel I need to see, the rest
> are statistic oriented IMHO. Looking over things I don't see a way to
> accomplish that unless I filter with syslog. Just want to make sure I'm not
> missing an option that might accomplish that in inn.conf/readers.conf.

There's no parameter to only disable a specific log line.
I would indeed recommend to use your syslog facility to filter group lines.

Note that your Usenet daily reports will then no longer have the group
counts (innreport uses that information).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get. » (Larry
Wall)

Re: Disable nnrpd group logging?

<877d4n1oak.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=973&group=news.software.nntp#973

From: eagle@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 10:56:19 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:56 UTC

Jesse Rehmer <jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com> writes:

> I think I've read the relevant man pages but may have missed it, but I'm
> looking for a way to disable nnrpd logging. More specifically, I don't
> want the news.notice log filling up with 'group' lines.

> Authentication and post commands are the items I feel I need to see, the
> rest are statistic oriented IMHO. Looking over things I don't see a way
> to accomplish that unless I filter with syslog. Just want to make sure
> I'm not missing an option that might accomplish that in
> inn.conf/readers.conf.

The general intent for INN logging is that you filter all of the logs into
separate files using syslog configuration and then only read the nighly
report, which should summarize any important information in the logs that
you need to be aware of. If you discard the "group" log lines, you will
lose the statistics in the nightly report about what groups are being
read; that's where that data comes from.

Regardless, I don't believe nnrpd supports customizing its logging in the
way you mention.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

computers / news.software.nntp / Re: Disable nnrpd group logging?