Death, when unnecessary, is a tragic thing. -- Flint, "Requiem for Methuselah", stardate 5843.7

devel / comp.sys.acorn.apps / Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/Mpro

SubjectAuthor
* How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/MproPaul Stewart
`* Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/MproPaul Oates
 +* Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/MproChris Hughes
 |`- Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/MproPaul Stewart
 +- Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/MproPaul Stewart
 +* Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/MproDave
 |`* Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/MproPaul Sprangers
 | `- Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/MproDave
 `- Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/MproHarriet Bazley

1
How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/Mpro

<cf4d9a9059.Paul@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=950&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#950

From: narrowboat-paul@outlook.com (Paul Stewart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/Mpro
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 22:20:09 GMT
 by: Paul Stewart - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 22:20 UTC

I maybe asking a really stupid question here, but just how do you setup
RSS feeds within Netfetch/MPro?

I can see on the Netfetch menu there is an option to fetch RSS feeds, just
unable to find how you configure them :(

Using Netfetch 5.53 and MPro 8.05wpb1.
Configured to connect to email via IMAP and fetch news via newshound.

--
Paul Stewart
Sent from A9home running RISC OS 4.42

Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/Mpro

<e668d89059.Paul@oatespaul.btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=951&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#951

From: oatespaul@btinternet.com (Paul Oates)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/Mpro
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 09:38:30 GMT
 by: Paul Oates - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 09:38 UTC

In message <cf4d9a9059.Paul@outlook.com>
Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:

> I maybe asking a really stupid question here, but just how do you setup
> RSS feeds within Netfetch/MPro?

> I can see on the Netfetch menu there is an option to fetch RSS feeds, just
> unable to find how you configure them :(

> Using Netfetch 5.53 and MPro 8.05wpb1.
> Configured to connect to email via IMAP and fetch news via newshound.

According to my (printed) NetFetch manual:

Select Choices from the menu;
click email boxes;
click RSS feeds:
Add new.

Never tried it myself.

regards

--
Paul Oates
oatespaul@btinternet.com

Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/Mpro

<07ebdc9059.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=952&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#952

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 10:27:45 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 10:27 UTC

In message <e668d89059.Paul@oatespaul.btinternet.com>
Paul Oates <oatespaul@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In message <cf4d9a9059.Paul@outlook.com>
> Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:

>> I maybe asking a really stupid question here, but just how do you setup
>> RSS feeds within Netfetch/MPro?

>> I can see on the Netfetch menu there is an option to fetch RSS feeds, just
>> unable to find how you configure them :(

>> Using Netfetch 5.53 and MPro 8.05wpb1.
>> Configured to connect to email via IMAP and fetch news via newshound.

> According to my (printed) NetFetch manual:

> Select Choices from the menu;
> click email boxes;
> click RSS feeds:
> Add new.

> Never tried it myself.

I tried it some time ago and never got it to work, might have done it
wrong I don't know. It puts each RSS message into a mailbox apparenetly.

You could ask for more info on the AW Group mailing list, its the main
programmers mailing list covering Netfetch/messenger pro.

I use Sargasso instead and that does work.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/Mpro

<1d211a9159.Paul@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=953&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#953

From: narrowboat-paul@outlook.com (Paul Stewart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:36:20 GMT
 by: Paul Stewart - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:36 UTC

In message <e668d89059.Paul@oatespaul.btinternet.com>
Paul Oates <oatespaul@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In message <cf4d9a9059.Paul@outlook.com>
> Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:

>> I maybe asking a really stupid question here, but just how do you setup
>> RSS feeds within Netfetch/MPro?

>> I can see on the Netfetch menu there is an option to fetch RSS feeds, just
>> unable to find how you configure them :(

>> Using Netfetch 5.53 and MPro 8.05wpb1.
>> Configured to connect to email via IMAP and fetch news via newshound.

> According to my (printed) NetFetch manual:

> Select Choices from the menu;
> click email boxes;
> click RSS feeds:
> Add new.

> Never tried it myself.

Thanks for this info. I had been in that window and had not spotted it.
However having now recently been in that window and several times, it
would appear sometime the button is there and other times it is not.
Rather weired, I know

--
Paul Stewart
Sent from A9home running RISC OS 4.42

Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/Mpro

<2c471a9159.Paul@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=954&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#954

From: narrowboat-paul@outlook.com (Paul Stewart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:37:58 GMT
 by: Paul Stewart - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:37 UTC

In message <07ebdc9059.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <e668d89059.Paul@oatespaul.btinternet.com>
> Paul Oates <oatespaul@btinternet.com> wrote:

>> In message <cf4d9a9059.Paul@outlook.com>
>> Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:

>>> I maybe asking a really stupid question here, but just how do you setup
>>> RSS feeds within Netfetch/MPro?

>>> I can see on the Netfetch menu there is an option to fetch RSS feeds, just
>>> unable to find how you configure them :(

>>> Using Netfetch 5.53 and MPro 8.05wpb1.
>>> Configured to connect to email via IMAP and fetch news via newshound.

>> According to my (printed) NetFetch manual:

>> Select Choices from the menu;
>> click email boxes;
>> click RSS feeds:
>> Add new.

>> Never tried it myself.

> I tried it some time ago and never got it to work, might have done it
> wrong I don't know. It puts each RSS message into a mailbox apparenetly.

> You could ask for more info on the AW Group mailing list, its the main
> programmers mailing list covering Netfetch/messenger pro.

> I use Sargasso instead and that does work.

Having a looked at it, I could get it download and place in the Hermes RSS
and spool folders, but not appear in MPro. Perhaps due to using remote
mailbox via IMAP and not local using POP.

Anyway, have downloaded Sargasso, and that appears to do the job. Thanks
for the recommendation.

--
Paul Stewart
Sent from A9home running RISC OS 4.42

Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/Mpro

<59914cd197dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=955&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#955

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 06:50:00 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 06:50 UTC

In article <e668d89059.Paul@oatespaul.btinternet.com>,
Paul Oates <oatespaul@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In message <cf4d9a9059.Paul@outlook.com>
> Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:

> > I maybe asking a really stupid question here, but just how do you setup
> > RSS feeds within Netfetch/MPro?

> > I can see on the Netfetch menu there is an option to fetch RSS feeds,
> > just unable to find how you configure them :(

> > Using Netfetch 5.53 and MPro 8.05wpb1.
> > Configured to connect to email via IMAP and fetch news via newshound.

> According to my (printed) NetFetch manual:

> Select Choices from the menu;
> click email boxes;
> click RSS feeds:
> Add new.

> Never tried it myself.

> regards

I did try a couple of times in the past and it failed with consequences...

In light of this thread I thought I'd have another go and it again failed
with consequences. :-(

The consequences being, it gets into some sort of loop that never ends.
It cannot be broken out from.
RISC OS cannot be quit (Menus don't work) Ctrl-Alt-Delete doesn't work, so
RISC OS has be be quit violently and hope it doesn't FU the CMOS.

VRPC-DL and RISC OS 6.20 and on this attempt... NetFetch 5.53

Never again, so back to PC side for such things.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/Mpro

<59916a0f9ePaul@sprie.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=956&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#956

From: Paul@sprie.nl (Paul Sprangers)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 13:09:24 +0100 (Custom)
 by: Paul Sprangers - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 12:09 UTC

In article <59914cd197dave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> RISC OS cannot be quit (Menus don't work) Ctrl-Alt-Delete doesn't work

That's the Windows cure. Or did you mean Alt-Break?

Kind regards,
Paul Sprangers

--
http://www.riscos.sprie.nl

Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/Mpro

<5991831015dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=962&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#962

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 16:42:29 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 16:42 UTC

In article <59916a0f9ePaul@sprie.nl>,
Paul Sprangers <Paul@sprie.nl> wrote:
> In article <59914cd197dave@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > RISC OS cannot be quit (Menus don't work) Ctrl-Alt-Delete doesn't work

> That's the Windows cure. Or did you mean Alt-Break?

> Kind regards,
> Paul Sprangers

Yes you are correct, I did mean Alt-Break initially, but that is mostly
useless these days, I did try it but nothing changed.

It was totally frozen so next Ctrl-Shift-F12 to try and shut it down, that
failed.

Alt+Return out of VRPC full screen, then I had the choice of clicking the
Windows [X] to end it, or do Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the Windows Task
Manager and Stop it that way.

I'm pleased to report the CMOS did survive the process.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: How to setup RSS feeds within Netfetch/Mpro

<f9e4a89159.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=972&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#972

From: harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:35:43 GMT
 by: Harriet Bazley - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:35 UTC

On 25 Nov 2021 as I do recall,
Paul Oates wrote:

> In message <cf4d9a9059.Paul@outlook.com>
> Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> > I maybe asking a really stupid question here, but just how do you setup
> > RSS feeds within Netfetch/MPro?
>
> > I can see on the Netfetch menu there is an option to fetch RSS feeds, just
> > unable to find how you configure them :(
>
> > Using Netfetch 5.53 and MPro 8.05wpb1.
> > Configured to connect to email via IMAP and fetch news via newshound.
>
> According to my (printed) NetFetch manual:
>
> Select Choices from the menu;
> click email boxes;
> click RSS feeds:
> Add new.
>
> Never tried it myself.

I got it working at one point (the RSS entries just appeared as e-mails
and you filtered them into an appropriate box for viewing) but the blogs
I was following stopped being updated and/or the RSS system stopped
working - I haven't received any new notifications for years, so can't
answer as to whether it still functions with current feeds.

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Everyone hates me because I'm paranoid.