From: Merle@invalid.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Windows Defender and XP?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:15:10 -0500
 by: Merle@invalid.com - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 12:15 UTC

I just came across a download for Windows Defender on the MajorGeeks
site that works with XP. I was thinking that just maybe I could use a
bit more defensive strategy. Does this thing auto delete files if it
considers them malware, or does the users call the shot about yes/no
deletion?

Just curious.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_defender_offline.html

Re: Windows Defender and XP?

<i37begh2bte24bs6hjrmq7mqgo9fibq8m8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=960&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#960

From: Merle@invalid.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Windows Defender and XP?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:25:34 -0500
 by: Merle@invalid.com - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 12:25 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:15:10 -0500, Merle@invalid.com wrote:

>I just came across a download for Windows Defender on the MajorGeeks
>site that works with XP. I was thinking that just maybe I could use a
>bit more defensive strategy. Does this thing auto delete files if it
>considers them malware, or does the users call the shot about yes/no
>deletion?
>
>Just curious.
>
>https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_defender_offline.html

I found my own answer. I'm just hoping it's correct.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/Windows-AntiSpyware.shtml

"Scan modes you can use

There are three different types of scans you can take advantage of,
namely “Quick” (a speedy analysis of the critical files), “Full”
(thoroughly analyzes the system) and “Custom” (allows you to select
the locations to be analyzed). The scan reports display the detected
malicious software infiltrated in the system and urges you to remove
it or quarantine it."

Anyone have an opinion on this thing. It ain't in the stats on the
AV-Comparative site.

Re: Windows Defender and XP?

<6g7beg57vpmrokddgsin9flf42fht002sq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=961&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#961

From: Merle@invalid.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:29:13 -0500
 by: Merle@invalid.com - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 12:29 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:25:34 -0500, Merle@invalid.com wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:15:10 -0500, Merle@invalid.com wrote:
>
>>I just came across a download for Windows Defender on the MajorGeeks
>>site that works with XP. I was thinking that just maybe I could use a
>>bit more defensive strategy. Does this thing auto delete files if it
>>considers them malware, or does the users call the shot about yes/no
>>deletion?
>>
>>Just curious.
>>
>>https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_defender_offline.html
>
>I found my own answer. I'm just hoping it's correct.
>
>https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/Windows-AntiSpyware.shtml
>
>"Scan modes you can use
>
>There are three different types of scans you can take advantage of,
>namely “Quick” (a speedy analysis of the critical files), “Full”
>(thoroughly analyzes the system) and “Custom” (allows you to select
>the locations to be analyzed). The scan reports display the detected
>malicious software infiltrated in the system and urges you to remove
>it or quarantine it."
>
>Anyone have an opinion on this thing. It ain't in the stats on the
>AV-Comparative site.

Well, again I think I found my own answer. (Why do I have to do all
the work here?)

https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2013/11/14/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials-which-one-do-i-need/

"If your computer is running Windows 8, you can use the built-in
Windows Defender to help you get rid of viruses, spyware, or other
malware. If your computer is running Windows 7, Windows Vista, or
Windows XP, Windows Defender only removes spyware. To get rid of
viruses and other malware, including spyware, on Windows 7, Windows
Vista, and Windows XP, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials
for free."

Well, more digging 'bout this Essentials stuff, I guess.

Re: Windows Defender and XP?

<et7beghvs2gilmc703334t93dr50qitj1e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=962&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#962

From: Merle@invalid.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:44:32 -0500
 by: Merle@invalid.com - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 12:44 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:29:13 -0500, Merle@invalid.com wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:25:34 -0500, Merle@invalid.com wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:15:10 -0500, Merle@invalid.com wrote:
>>
>>>I just came across a download for Windows Defender on the MajorGeeks
>>>site that works with XP. I was thinking that just maybe I could use a
>>>bit more defensive strategy. Does this thing auto delete files if it
>>>considers them malware, or does the users call the shot about yes/no
>>>deletion?
>>>
>>>Just curious.
>>>
>>>https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_defender_offline.html
>>
>>I found my own answer. I'm just hoping it's correct.
>>
>>https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/Windows-AntiSpyware.shtml
>>
>>"Scan modes you can use
>>
>>There are three different types of scans you can take advantage of,
>>namely “Quick” (a speedy analysis of the critical files), “Full”
>>(thoroughly analyzes the system) and “Custom” (allows you to select
>>the locations to be analyzed). The scan reports display the detected
>>malicious software infiltrated in the system and urges you to remove
>>it or quarantine it."
>>
>>Anyone have an opinion on this thing. It ain't in the stats on the
>>AV-Comparative site.
>
>Well, again I think I found my own answer. (Why do I have to do all
>the work here?)
>
>https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2013/11/14/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials-which-one-do-i-need/
>
>"If your computer is running Windows 8, you can use the built-in
>Windows Defender to help you get rid of viruses, spyware, or other
>malware. If your computer is running Windows 7, Windows Vista, or
>Windows XP, Windows Defender only removes spyware. To get rid of
>viruses and other malware, including spyware, on Windows 7, Windows
>Vista, and Windows XP, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials
>for free."
>
>Well, more digging 'bout this Essentials stuff, I guess.

Forget Essentials. Didn't like what I found about it.

I'm going to amuse myself with Panda's freebie AV for XP. According
to Comparatives it has too many false alerts for my taste, but then
I'll be using VirusTotal for any file Panda alerts on. I ain't gonna
trust Panda for Deletions.

Why am I doing this Quest For Increased Security? Because we all get
bored with what is on our machines and itch for new stuff. That's how
most of us end up F*****G up our machines. But that forces us to look
for even newer stuff with which to fix our F******D UP machines.
After all, you can't argue with logic - although I have found there
are a few in this group who keep trying.

Re: Windows Defender and XP?

<cuabeg5bmshhh5f3osro4kvvtqb6g4ankl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=963&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#963

From: Merle@invalid.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 08:40:13 -0500
 by: Merle@invalid.com - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 13:40 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:44:32 -0500, Merle@invalid.com wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Jul 2021 07:29:13 -0500, Merle@invalid.com wrote:

>>>I found my own answer. I'm just hoping it's correct.
>>>
>>>https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/Windows-AntiSpyware.shtml
>>>
>>>"Scan modes you can use
>>>
>>>There are three different types of scans you can take advantage of,
>>>namely “Quick” (a speedy analysis of the critical files), “Full”
>>>(thoroughly analyzes the system) and “Custom” (allows you to select
>>>the locations to be analyzed). The scan reports display the detected
>>>malicious software infiltrated in the system and urges you to remove
>>>it or quarantine it."
>>>
>>>Anyone have an opinion on this thing. It ain't in the stats on the
>>>AV-Comparative site.
>>
>>Well, again I think I found my own answer. (Why do I have to do all
>>the work here?)
>>
>>https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2013/11/14/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials-which-one-do-i-need/
>>
>>"If your computer is running Windows 8, you can use the built-in
>>Windows Defender to help you get rid of viruses, spyware, or other
>>malware. If your computer is running Windows 7, Windows Vista, or
>>Windows XP, Windows Defender only removes spyware. To get rid of
>>viruses and other malware, including spyware, on Windows 7, Windows
>>Vista, and Windows XP, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials
>>for free."
>>
>>Well, more digging 'bout this Essentials stuff, I guess.
>
>Forget Essentials. Didn't like what I found about it.
>
>I'm going to amuse myself with Panda's freebie AV for XP. According
>to Comparatives it has too many false alerts for my taste, but then
>I'll be using VirusTotal for any file Panda alerts on. I ain't gonna
>trust Panda for Deletions.
>
>Why am I doing this Quest For Increased Security? Because we all get
>bored with what is on our machines and itch for new stuff. That's how
>most of us end up F*****G up our machines. But that forces us to look
>for even newer stuff with which to fix our F******D UP machines.
>After all, you can't argue with logic - although I have found there
>are a few in this group who keep trying.

Well, I finally got that Panda bleep stuff working. i first had to
install Net Framework 4. I kept trying at the MS site for a while. It
jut wouldn't download the file. It would start and get stuck about a
quarter way through. i finally figured out the obvious, the present
Net Framework 4 file at the MS site no longer downloads on an XP
machine. Found another site with an older version.

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/download/net-framework-4-0

Solved - partially.

This dang Panda thing is a lengthy p.i.t.a. to install. Plus you have
to create a Panda Account. (Lot's of junk mail coming my way, I'm
sure.)

I did what they call a Critical Scan. It found no baddies anywhere.

The only problem I have now is that I did all this in the sandbox.

Yippie! I get to do it again for real after a reboot. Words cannot
express the thrill of having to do it all over again.

So, I'm going to keep it in the sandbox for today. When I get time
I'm going to run a complete scan and see what happens. I just ain't
in the mood to run what will be a lengthy scan right now.

Well, I got a new goody to play with. Happy for me?