"Be *excellent* to each other." -- Bill, or Ted, in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: Fwd: Backup power supply

SubjectAuthor
* Backup power supplyAndriy D
+* Re: Backup power supplyMike Scott
|+* Re: Backup power supplyAndriy D
||`- Re: Backup power supplyMike Scott
|`* Re: Backup power supply<bp
| `- Re: Backup power supplyLars Poulsen
+* Backup power supplyVincent Coen
|`* Re: Backup power supplyMike Scott
| `* Backup power supplyVincent Coen
|  +- Re: Backup power supplyAndy Burns
|  `* Re: Backup power supplyAhem A Rivet's Shot
|   +* Re: Backup power supplydruck
|   |+- Re: Backup power supplyAhem A Rivet's Shot
|   |`* Fwd: Backup power supplyLars Poulsen
|   | +* Fwd: Backup power supplyRichard Falken
|   | |`* Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyThe Natural Philosopher
|   | | `- Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyyeti
|   | `* Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyThe Natural Philosopher
|   |  +- Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyAhem A Rivet's Shot
|   |  +* Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyBob Martin
|   |  |`* Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyThe Natural Philosopher
|   |  | `* Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyAhem A Rivet's Shot
|   |  |  `* Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyThe Natural Philosopher
|   |  |   `- Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyComputer Nerd Kev
|   |  +* Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyComputer Nerd Kev
|   |  |`* Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyAhem A Rivet's Shot
|   |  | `- Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyComputer Nerd Kev
|   |  `* Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyLars Poulsen
|   |   +* Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyTimS
|   |   |`- Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyThe Natural Philosopher
|   |   `- Re: Fwd: Backup power supplyThe Natural Philosopher
|   +- Backup power supplyVincent Coen
|   `* Re: Backup power supplyThe Natural Philosopher
|    `- Re: Backup power supplyAhem A Rivet's Shot
+* Backup power supplyRichard Falken
|`* Re: Backup power supplyAndriy D
| +* Re: Backup power supplyThe Natural Philosopher
| |`* Re: Backup power supplyAndriy D
| | +* Re: Backup power supplyComputer Nerd Kev
| | |`- Re: Backup power supplyAndriy D
| | `- Re: Backup power supplyJim H
| `- Re: Backup power supplyRichard Falken
`* Re: Backup power supplyJoe
 `* Re: Backup power supplyMike Scott
  +* Re: Backup power supply<bp
  |`* Re: Backup power supplyMike Scott
  | +* Re: Backup power supply<bp
  | |`* Re: Backup power supply<bp
  | | +- Re: Backup power supplyDavid Higton
  | | `* Re: Backup power supplyThe Natural Philosopher
  | |  `- Re: Backup power supply<bp
  | `- Re: Backup power supplyKees Nuyt
  +* Re: Backup power supplyJoe
  |`- Re: Backup power supplyAndriy D
  `- Re: Backup power supplyRichard Falken

Pages:123
Re: Fwd: Backup power supply

<6613622d@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9548&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9548

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: Re: Fwd: Backup power supply
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: 8 Apr 2024 13:19:10 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 03:19 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2024 17:28:19 +1000
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> >
>> > I think I will print a small nuclear reactor on my 3D printer and go
>> > off grid entirely :-) :-)
>>
>> I printed this a few years ago in glow-in-the-dark plastic:
>> http://web.archive.org/web/20170209140207/http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1561276/
>>
>> The cooling towers make a handy pen holder at the scale I used. But
>> now it looks like the nuclear regulators have caught on and had the
>> 3D model pulled off Thingiverse! :)
>
> Yet worse the wayback machine didn't archive the STL (can't say I
> blame them).

This is why I never delete such files. Here's my copy:
https://objectstorage.ap-melbourne-1.oraclecloud.com/n/axqlf7atlxkh/b/attachments/o/nuclearpp.zip

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Fwd: Backup power supply

<uv63cq$vjao$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9586&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9586

From: lars@beagle-ears.com (Lars Poulsen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 06:15:07 -0700
 by: Lars Poulsen - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 13:15 UTC

On 4/6/2024 1:32 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 05/04/2024 22:08, Lars Poulsen wrote:
>> On 15/03/2024 10:51, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>>  >>     Make that 5 minutes * 500W/5W or 500 minutes which is indeed a
>>  >> long time but a lot shorter than the 150 hours you were expecting.
>>
>> On 3/15/2024 6:43 AM, druck wrote:
>>  > If you want 150 hours, you need to be looking at a backup generator,
>>  > so your UPS only needs to last as long as it takes for your generator
>>  > to fire up.
>>  >
>>  > That's usually a couple of minutes for professional diesel ones, but
>>  > as its home setup it might take you a few minutes to connect it up and
>>  > pull the starter cord on a cheap petrol one.
>>  >
>>  > It might then take a few more minutes to drain the tank of the sludge
>>  > that used to be fuel last time you used it, and to run to the garage
>>  > to get some fresh petrol.
>>  >
>>  > It might take a few more minutes if your spark plugs have been fouled
>>  > as you didn't clean it after use, and your air filter has a hundred
>>  > different types of bugs living it.
>>  >
>>  > So make sure the UPS lasts an hour or 2.
>>  >
>>  > Oh and once you've managed to get it going, and it's making a
>>  > tremendous racket, just remember everyone else in the neighbourhood
>>  > who is without power will be turning to look in your direction...
>>
>> I read this and feel first-world superiority for having last year
>> installed a 14kW Generac system, powered by our municipal natural gas
>> supply. In case of a power outage, it kicks in within about 10
>> seconds. When the grid comes back up, it syncs the AC to the grid
>> before pulling the relay to reconnect. And every other Wednesday, it
>> tests itself for 10 minutes, synchronizing before going off-grid as
>> well as before going back on-grid.
>> In case the muni gas is down, my electrician will come over and
>> install the propane conversion kit. (I don't have a good place to keep
>> propane tanks.)
>>
>> -- Lars
>
> I think I will print a small nuclear reactor on my 3D printer and go off
> grid entirely :-) :-)

How large is your 3 printer? Do you know of a power generator that fits
in a cubic foot? (Thermal, maybe? like what NASA uses for inerplanetary
probes?)

Re: Fwd: Backup power supply

<l7nkobFt9qgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9591&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9591

From: tim@streater.me.uk (TimS)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: 10 Apr 2024 14:07:07 GMT
 by: TimS - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 14:07 UTC

On 10 Apr 2024 at 14:15:07 BST, "Lars Poulsen" <lars@beagle-ears.com> wrote:

> On 4/6/2024 1:32 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> I read this and feel first-world superiority for having last year
>>> installed a 14kW Generac system, powered by our municipal natural gas
>>> supply. In case of a power outage, it kicks in within about 10
>>> seconds. When the grid comes back up, it syncs the AC to the grid
>>> before pulling the relay to reconnect. And every other Wednesday, it
>>> tests itself for 10 minutes, synchronizing before going off-grid as
>>> well as before going back on-grid.
>>> In case the muni gas is down, my electrician will come over and
>>> install the propane conversion kit. (I don't have a good place to keep
>>> propane tanks.)
>>>
>>> -- Lars
>>
>> I think I will print a small nuclear reactor on my 3D printer and go off
>> grid entirely :-) :-)
>>
> How large is your 3 printer? Do you know of a power generator that fits
> in a cubic foot? (Thermal, maybe? like what NASA uses for inerplanetary
> probes?)

Only if your printer can print plutonium-238.

--
Tim

Re: Fwd: Backup power supply

<uv8bkg$1k8fn$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9607&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9607

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:48:00 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 09:48 UTC

On 10/04/2024 14:15, Lars Poulsen wrote:
> On 4/6/2024 1:32 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 05/04/2024 22:08, Lars Poulsen wrote:
>>> On 15/03/2024 10:51, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>>>  >>     Make that 5 minutes * 500W/5W or 500 minutes which is indeed a
>>>  >> long time but a lot shorter than the 150 hours you were expecting.
>>>
>>> On 3/15/2024 6:43 AM, druck wrote:
>>>  > If you want 150 hours, you need to be looking at a backup generator,
>>>  > so your UPS only needs to last as long as it takes for your generator
>>>  > to fire up.
>>>  >
>>>  > That's usually a couple of minutes for professional diesel ones, but
>>>  > as its home setup it might take you a few minutes to connect it up
>>> and
>>>  > pull the starter cord on a cheap petrol one.
>>>  >
>>>  > It might then take a few more minutes to drain the tank of the sludge
>>>  > that used to be fuel last time you used it, and to run to the garage
>>>  > to get some fresh petrol.
>>>  >
>>>  > It might take a few more minutes if your spark plugs have been fouled
>>>  > as you didn't clean it after use, and your air filter has a hundred
>>>  > different types of bugs living it.
>>>  >
>>>  > So make sure the UPS lasts an hour or 2.
>>>  >
>>>  > Oh and once you've managed to get it going, and it's making a
>>>  > tremendous racket, just remember everyone else in the neighbourhood
>>>  > who is without power will be turning to look in your direction...
>>>
>>> I read this and feel first-world superiority for having last year
>>> installed a 14kW Generac system, powered by our municipal natural gas
>>> supply. In case of a power outage, it kicks in within about 10
>>> seconds. When the grid comes back up, it syncs the AC to the grid
>>> before pulling the relay to reconnect. And every other Wednesday, it
>>> tests itself for 10 minutes, synchronizing before going off-grid as
>>> well as before going back on-grid.
>>> In case the muni gas is down, my electrician will come over and
>>> install the propane conversion kit. (I don't have a good place to
>>> keep propane tanks.)
>>>
>>> -- Lars
>>
>> I think I will print a small nuclear reactor on my 3D printer and go
>> off grid entirely :-) :-)
>>
> How large is your 3 printer? Do you know of a power generator that fits
> in a cubic foot? (Thermal, maybe? like what NASA uses for inerplanetary
> probes?)

Actually a sort of cast iron range stove filled with decay products that
would do about 20kW thermal, and boil enough water for a 20KW steam
turbine style alternator would be ideal.

I could feed the grid with surplus power.....

--
I was brought up to believe that you should never give offence if you
can avoid it; the new culture tells us you should always take offence if

Sir Roger Scruton

Re: Fwd: Backup power supply

<uv8bun$1k8fn$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9608&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9608

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:53:27 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 09:53 UTC

On 10/04/2024 15:07, TimS wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2024 at 14:15:07 BST, "Lars Poulsen" <lars@beagle-ears.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/6/2024 1:32 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>> On 05/04/2024 22:08, Lars Poulsen wrote:

>>> I think I will print a small nuclear reactor on my 3D printer and go off
>>> grid entirely :-) :-)
>>>
>> How large is your 3 printer? Do you know of a power generator that fits
>> in a cubic foot? (Thermal, maybe? like what NASA uses for inerplanetary
>> probes?)
>
> Only if your printer can print plutonium-238.

Any inkjet can print *that*, but as Shakespeare's Hotspur says 'does it
then go critical...?'

William Shakespeare
“I can call the spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come, when you do call for them?”

― William Shakespeare, King Henry IV, Part 1