From: nospam.Mike.Dippel@f1116.n640.z3.fidonet.org (Mike Dippel)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Telnet Connection Problem
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 15:47:06 +1200
 by: Mike Dippel - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 03:47 UTC

Lately, I am unable to connect to my BBS via Telnet from my home computer. I
can,
however, connect to it if I log onto one of my servers and telnet or http from
that remote
computer.

I checked my log files and the home computer's IP address is not blocked. This
is a
recent occurrence although sometime in the past I could connect until I just
lost the
connection somehow.

Is anyone else having a problem with telnet or http connections? Again, I can
reach it
from other computers, just not from my own. Maybe I can whitelist the IP
address?

I'm running version A47 I believe.

Mike Dippel
mystic-hobbies.us

Telnet Connection Problem

<922948207@f757.n153.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=960&group=alt.bbs.mystic#960

From: nospam.Al@f757.n153.z1.fidonet.org (Al)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:33:26 +1200
 by: Al - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 01:33 UTC

> Is anyone else having a problem with telnet or http connections? Again, I
> can reach it from other computers, just not from my own.

I have that issue too, at times. If I am trying to go to an address inside my
own lan I will offten use 192.168.0.10 or whatever the address is. It won't
work from the outside, but works from the inside.

> Maybe I can whitelist the IP address?

You have to be able to reach the destination before a whitelist will do
anything for you.

Re: Telnet Connection Problem

<3709983077@f860.n218.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=961&group=alt.bbs.mystic#961

From: nospam.Chris.Hizny@f860.n218.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Hizny)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Re: Telnet Connection Problem
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:58:12 +1200
 by: Chris Hizny - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:58 UTC

MD> Lately, I am unable to connect to my BBS via Telnet from my home
MD> computer. I can,

I don't know what provider you have, but if you have Comcast, their cable
modems have software which detect "threats" and will drop connections to any
system considered a "threat."

I triggered this by portscanning one of my own Digital Ocean droplets to make
sure the Firewall was behaving properly. Then I lost connection with the
droplet, although I could get it via tor, or in the method you describe.

Note that, I was scanning the remote server *from* home -- the packets bouncing
back to the port scanner were what tripped this "feature."

I had to actually write to Comcast and tell them to knock it off. This is part
of some new home security threat detection thing. I was able to reconnect in a
few days. Comcast never wrote back; I don't know if the block expired naturally
or they did something on their side.

I mention it only because it was quite recently I found myself wrestling with
this. It was irksome; I get why they think it's a good idea but probably like
most here I don't want or need their help in this regard.

If you're not using Comcast, well, forget everything I just said :)

Telnet Connection Problem

<644614318@f1.n770.z26.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=963&group=alt.bbs.mystic#963

From: nospam.Tristan.Greaves@f1.n770.z26.fidonet.org (Tristan Greaves)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:18:12 +1200
 by: Tristan Greaves - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:18 UTC

Re: Telnet Connection Problem
By: Mike Dippel to ALL on Fri Feb 11 2022 03:47 pm

MD> Lately, I am unable to connect to my BBS via Telnet from my home computer.
MD> I can,
MD> however, connect to it if I log onto one of my servers and telnet or http
MD> from that remote
MD> computer.

MD> I checked my log files and the home computer's IP address is not blocked.
MD> This is a
MD> recent occurrence although sometime in the past I could connect until I
MD> just lost the
MD> connection somehow.

In all these cases, are the computers all within your home network?

Can you detail the topology a bit more?

Tristan.

Telnet Connection Problem

<644626289@f1.n770.z7511.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=964&group=alt.bbs.mystic#964

From: nospam.Rob.Swindell@f1.n770.z7511.fidonet.org (Rob Swindell)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 14:32:58 +1200
 by: Rob Swindell - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 02:32 UTC

Re: Telnet Connection Problem
By: Mike Dippel to ALL on Fri Feb 11 2022 03:47 pm

> Lately, I am unable to connect to my BBS via Telnet from my home computer.

Make sure your gateway/router supports hairpinning
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairpinning

If it doesn't, then you'll need to use your BBS's *private* IP address when
inside your private network.
--
digital man (rob)

Rush quote #78:
Today's Tom Sawyer, he gets high on you, the space he invades, gets by on you
Norco, CA WX: 84.9�F, 18.0% humidity, 7 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

Re: Telnet Connection Problem

<3944850647@f307.n229.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=966&group=alt.bbs.mystic#966

From: nospam.Mickey@f307.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Mickey)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:18:19 +1200
 by: Mickey - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:18 UTC

On 11 Feb 2022, Mike Dippel said the following...
MD> Lately, I am unable to connect to my BBS via Telnet from my home
MD> computer. I can,
MD> however, connect to it if I log onto one of my servers and telnet or
MD> http from that remote
MD> computer.

Mike, not sure if youre using Mystic BBS or not but,
Have you tried (in a shell) Mystic -l to log-in locally?

Mick Manning
-(< BluesNET - The Musician's Network >)-

.... Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives

Re: Telnet Connection Problem

<3193355099@f1118.n640.z3.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=967&group=alt.bbs.mystic#967

From: nospam.Mike.Dippel@f1118.n640.z3.fidonet.org (Mike Dippel)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:03:58 +1200
 by: Mike Dippel - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 11:03 UTC

Mi> MD> Lately, I am unable to connect to my BBS via Telnet from my home
Mi> MD> computer. I can,
Mi> MD> however, connect to it if I log onto one of my servers and telnet or
Mi> MD> http from that remote
Mi> MD> computer.
Mi>
Mi> Mike, not sure if youre using Mystic BBS or not but,
Mi> Have you tried (in a shell) Mystic -l to log-in locally?
Mi>
Mi> Mick Manning

Yes, v47 It's working now after I put my IP address in the whitelist. The
system runs on a remote server, so I can't log in locally. But, if I RDP into
the server, local login works as well.

Mike Dippel

.... Error, no Keyboard - Press F1 to Continue.

computers / alt.bbs.mystic / Telnet Connection Problem