From: jimmy@none.none (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Slackware 15.0 is released!
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 13:44:31 -0800
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 21:44 UTC

"Hey folks! It's been a long time, but as usual we had to get everything
just exactly perfect, and you just can't rush that. We are very happy to
announce the availability of the new Slackware 15.0 stable release."
http://www.slackware.com/index.php
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda6
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Slackware 15.0 is released!

<sthq29$h9o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=951&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#951

From: david@me.invalid (David Robley)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Slackware 15.0 is released!
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 10:25:33 +1030
 by: David Robley - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 23:55 UTC

On 4/2/22 8:14 am, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> "Hey folks! It's been a long time, but as usual we had to get everything
> just exactly perfect, and you just can't rush that. We are very happy to
> announce the availability of the new Slackware 15.0 stable release."
>  http://www.slackware.com/index.php

And from the Changelog:

Wed Feb 2 22:22:22 UTC 2022
Slackware 15.0 x86_64 stable is released!

Love the timestamp :-)

Re: Slackware 15.0 is released!

<stiemn$f8a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=952&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#952

From: field.engineer@gmail.com (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 21:48:05 -0800
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 05:48 UTC

On 2/3/22 13:44, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> "Hey folks! It's been a long time, but as usual we had to get everything
> just exactly perfect, and you just can't rush that. We are very happy to
> announce the availability of the new Slackware 15.0 stable release."
>  http://www.slackware.com/index.php

Tested the new Slackware 15.0 install .iso and it's working this is the
install with no problems.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 15.0 - i7-2820QM - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Slackware 15.0 is released!

<stvue5$1kmm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=963&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#963

From: jimmy@none.none (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 00:36:36 -0800
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 08:36 UTC

On 2/8/22 21:07, Francis S wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2022 21:48:05 -0800, Jimmy Johnson
> <field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/3/22 13:44, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>>> "Hey folks! It's been a long time, but as usual we had to get everything
>>> just exactly perfect, and you just can't rush that. We are very happy to
>>> announce the availability of the new Slackware 15.0 stable release."
>>>  http://www.slackware.com/index.php
>>
>> Tested the new Slackware 15.0 install .iso and it's working this is the
>> install with no problems.
>
> Excellent, happy to hear! I hope to test it out on some new hardware
> tomorrow night.

I've done two clean installs now, one on intel i7 with ati radeon, the
other is intel i7 with intel core graphics. This one has the amd with
nvidia and needs a ati card to replace the old nvidia that's hardly
being supported, it is a upgrade from 14.2 to 15.0, I also have current
and 14.2 installed on each of the above computers. Then I have a few
more shelved that need to be upgraded. I know the install routine. :)

What new hardware are you getting? Prebuilt, laptop or are you rolling
your own? Will it be booting windows too? Are you new to slackware?
Linux? Too many questions? :)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 15.0 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda6
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Slackware 15.0 is released!

<20220210165646.603@skamandros.andrews-corner.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=964&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#964

From: andrew@skamandros.invalid (andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: 10 Feb 2022 05:59:15 GMT
 by: andrew - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 05:59 UTC

On 2022-02-10, Francis S <whatisemail@mail.com> wrote:

> This will be my first adventure with Slackware, and I'm looking
> forward to sinking my teeth into it. I was quite pleased to see that
> the Slackware usenet group was still active and not just cross-posted
> spam posts.

Indeed, most of my old favourite Usenet newsgroups are either completely
dead or have been taken over by trolls and spambots. And Google Groupers:)

Enjoy Slackware, 15.0 is a great release!

Andrew
--
You think that's air you're breathing now?

Re: Slackware 15.0 is released!

<su2af4$udt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=965&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#965

From: jimmy@none.none (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 22:14:11 -0800
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 06:14 UTC

On 2/9/22 20:47, Francis S wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 00:36:36 -0800, Jimmy Johnson <jimmy@none.none>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/8/22 21:07, Francis S wrote:

>>> Excellent, happy to hear! I hope to test it out on some new hardware
>>> tomorrow night.
>>
>> I've done two clean installs now, one on intel i7 with ati radeon, the
>> other is intel i7 with intel core graphics. This one has the amd with
>> nvidia and needs a ati card to replace the old nvidia that's hardly
>> being supported, it is a upgrade from 14.2 to 15.0, I also have current
>> and 14.2 installed on each of the above computers. Then I have a few
>> more shelved that need to be upgraded. I know the install routine. :)
>>
>> What new hardware are you getting? Prebuilt, laptop or are you rolling
>> your own? Will it be booting windows too? Are you new to slackware?
>> Linux? Too many questions? :)

> I don't mind the questions, I appreciate the reply! It's going to be a
> partially new build that I'm picking up from a coworker. They recently
> built a new machine, and offered their 8th gen intel i5-8600 for just
> a few bucks. It’s just a motherboard and a CPU, but I snagged some
> memory and an m.2 drive that I’m going to use with it.

Sweet, 6-cores at 65 watts, not to hot but should perform real nice and
fast. I don't know what a "m.2 drive" is. I guess intel graphics and
plenty of ram to cache the system will make it faster.

> I’ve been running differing distributions of linux exclusively on home
> machines for a good six years now, all mostly debian derivatives. I’ve
> had no issues, but have always wanted to further wade into the world
> of linux. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at
> it, these have worked almost flawlessly, requiring little tinkering to
> accomplish what I needed them to do.

I install and run many systems, I've been doing this for going on 28 yrs
now using legacy grub and many partitions makes it easy for me. I've
tested debian for most of that time until systemd, the invasion of
microsoft. My main system does not have systemd installed on it at all
and is a mixture of 4 different systems, it's something I managed to put
together and it's using kde-plasma-5. It's something I don't think I'm
suppose to be able to do.

> This will be my first adventure with Slackware, and I’m looking
> forward to sinking my teeth into it. I was quite pleased to see that
> the Slackware usenet group was still active and not just cross-posted
> spam posts.

They say you can keep your mind young by learning and slackware is surly
a learning thing. You will find years of slackware knowledge here, I
still have a lot to learn, but I can install the system, add users and
keep it up to date. I've only been using slackware steady since the
release of 14.2, prior I installed slack in the mid 90's and later in
2008 at the kde4 release party at google in mt. view, cal I met Patrick
and he installed slackware on my laptop for me, but I was testing debian
at that time so I really had not learned a thing and just kept on
testing debian until systemd.

> I hope this long reply isn’t considered too off-topic for the OP
> topic, but I wanted to get a somewhat fleshed out reply to you.

You could have said more, thanks and welcome to slackware.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263