From: Al@alt.org (Alterego)
Subject: Newsrover Newsreader
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 23:00:27 +0000
 by: Alterego - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 23:00 UTC

There's a thread on the r/usenet subreddit right now from someone looking
for the free version of Newsrover. I downloaded a copy in 2020 when the
the Newsrover website was still online and I've posted it to
alt.binaries.software.pc and alt.binaries.news. I don't want to join
Reddit and post there but if someone who reads this is a Reddit member,
it would be nice if they'd post a comment on that thread about where to
find it on Usenet.

Newsrover isn't that bad of a newsreader for some things but I wouldn't
use it as my main newsreader. It does live up to its doggy icon and name
and is very good at checking out newsgroups for what they have. It lists
content by individual server and doesn't aggregate results if you have
more than one server set up on it. That can be useful to determine which
groups are carried by all or almost all servers. That is why I posted it
to two different groups. When I tried to post it with Pan to
alt.binaries.software.pc, I got an error that said my posting server
didn't carry that group. I checked with Newsrover and indeed that was the
case and I had to switch to another server to post. I used Newsrover to
find an appropiate binary group that was carried by just about every
server and wasn't too filled with warez and garbage. Newsrover also has
the option to load the oldest headers as well as the newest which is
great if you are looking for old posts. It runs in Wine which is how I'm
using it but it will only download binaries in Windows. That's not a
great loss as it's not all that great at downloading binaries or building
big header lists. It's very good at sniffing out which newsgroups are
active and filled with posts and which are not but there are much better
options for indexing and downloading binaries.

In the about tab of this version of Newsrover, it states, "The free
version of News Rover may be freely distributed" so I assume that I am
permitted to upload it to Usenet or anywhere else.

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Newsrover Newsreader