"Turn on, tune up, rock out." -- Billy Gibbons

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?

SubjectAuthor
* Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?G.K.
+- Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?Ray_Net
+* Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?Daniel65
|`* Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?Richard Owlett
| +- Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?Daniel65
| `- Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?Nuno Silva
`- Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?Dirk Fieldhouse

1
Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?

<udcrv2$1f1nd$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=948&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#948

From: g@k.invalid (G.K.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 11:03:39 -0500
 by: G.K. - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:03 UTC

I want to force Seamonkey to do the following:

1. Display all messages only as plain text with HTML prohibited;

2. Compose only as plain text with HTML prohibited;

3. Enforce the exact same, uniform font and font size for all message
and composer views.

Exactly how may I achieve this?

G.K.

Re: Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?

<MPG.3f646215b3b35aad98a194@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=951&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#951

From: Ray_Net@picarre.be.invalid (Ray_Net)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 23:42:01 +0200
 by: Ray_Net - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 21:42 UTC

In article <udcrv2$1f1nd$1@paganini.bofh.team>, g@k.invalid says...

> I want to force Seamonkey to do the following:
>
> 1. Display all messages only as plain text with HTML prohibited;
>
> 2. Compose only as plain text with HTML prohibited;
>
> 3. Enforce the exact same, uniform font and font size for all message
> and composer views.
>
> Exactly how may I achieve this?
>
> G.K.

Use a MINITEL

Re: Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?

<ude1ir$3ai8a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=953&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#953

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 12:40:25 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 02:40 UTC

G.K. wrote on 8/9/23 2:03 am:
> I want to force Seamonkey to do the following:
>
> 1. Display all messages only as plain text with HTML prohibited;

View -> Message body as -> Plain Text.

> 2. Compose only as plain text with HTML prohibited;

(For each account concerned) Edit -> Composition & Addressing ->
Composition.

Make sure "Compose messages in HTML format is *not* selected.

> 3. Enforce the exact same, uniform font and font size for all message
> and composer views.

You can *not* set what font or font size other people choose to use when
they compose, just what you use when composing.

> Exactly how may I achieve this?
>
> G.K.

HTH.
--
Daniel

Re: Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?

<wJudnWOTmbY8YGf5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=954&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#954

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rowlett@cloud85.net (Richard Owlett)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 05:55:29 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 10:55 UTC

On 09/07/2023 09:40 PM, Daniel65 wrote:
> G.K. wrote on 8/9/23 2:03 am:
>> I want to force Seamonkey to do the following:
>>
>> 1. Display all messages only as plain text with HTML prohibited;
>
> View -> Message body as -> Plain Text.
>
>> 2. Compose only as plain text with HTML prohibited;
>
> (For each account concerned) Edit -> Composition & Addressing ->
> Composition.
>
> Make sure "Compose messages in HTML format is *not* selected.
>
>> 3. Enforce the exact same, uniform font and font size for all message
>> and composer views.
>
> You can *not* set what font or font size other people choose to use when
> they compose, just what you use when composing.

BUT?
Isn't there a way to force a _minimum_ font size when _displaying_
mail/news?
C.F Edit->Preferences->Appearance->Fonts->Minimum font size

I know that I did something [What is long forgotten] that causes
mail/news to be displayed [currently] with the same font size that I
_was_ using back then for web pages.

>> Exactly how may I achieve this?
>>
>> G.K.
>
> HTH.

Re: Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?

<udevci$3eadj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=955&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#955

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 21:09:07 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 11:09 UTC

Richard Owlett wrote on 8/9/23 8:55 pm:
> On 09/07/2023 09:40 PM, Daniel65 wrote:
>> G.K. wrote on 8/9/23 2:03 am:
>>> I want to force Seamonkey to do the following:
>>>
>>> 1. Display all messages only as plain text with HTML prohibited;
>>
>> View -> Message body as -> Plain Text.
>>
>>> 2. Compose only as plain text with HTML prohibited;
>>
>> (For each account concerned) Edit -> Composition & Addressing ->
>> Composition.
>>
>> Make sure "Compose messages in HTML format is *not* selected.
>>
>>> 3. Enforce the exact same, uniform font and font size for all
>>> message and composer views.
>>
>> You can *not* set what font or font size other people choose to use
>> when they compose, just what you use when composing.
>
> BUT? Isn't there a way to force a _minimum_ font size when
> _displaying_ mail/news? C.F
> Edit->Preferences->Appearance->Fonts->Minimum font size
>
> I know that I did something [What is long forgotten] that causes
> mail/news to be displayed [currently] with the same font size that I
> _was_ using back then for web pages.

Ah!! Yes, correct as far as *minimum* size is concerned. ;-P

>>> Exactly how may I achieve this?
>>>
>>> G.K.
>>
>> HTH.
> --
Daniel

Re: Enforce Text-Only and Uniform Font Size?

<kVednYRo9qGJoWb5nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=956&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#956

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 16:21:55 +0100
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 15:21 UTC

On 07/09/2023 17:03, G.K. wrote:
> I want to force Seamonkey to do the following:
>
> 1. Display all messages only as plain text with HTML prohibited;
>
> 2. Compose only as plain text with HTML prohibited;
>
> 3. Enforce the exact same, uniform font and font size for all message
> and composer views.
>
> Exactly how may I achieve this?

For 1, use the mailnews.display settings (prefer_plaintext: false,
html_as: 1) shown in this old post below, via about:config.

For 2, use the setting as described by Daniel65

> (For each account concerned) Edit -> Composition & Addressing -> Composition.
>
> Make sure "Compose messages in HTML format is *not* selected.
For 3, as you did 1, you will only get the font that you set via
Preferences>Mail & Newsgroups>Message Display and
Preferences>Appearance>Fonts>Monospace.

/df

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:37:48 +0100
 by: Nuno Silva - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 09:37 UTC

On 2023-09-08, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 09/07/2023 09:40 PM, Daniel65 wrote:
>> G.K. wrote on 8/9/23 2:03 am:
>>> I want to force Seamonkey to do the following:
>>>
>>> 1. Display all messages only as plain text with HTML prohibited;
>>
>> View -> Message body as -> Plain Text.
>>
>>> 2. Compose only as plain text with HTML prohibited;
>>
>> (For each account concerned) Edit -> Composition & Addressing ->
>> Composition.
>>
>> Make sure "Compose messages in HTML format is *not* selected.
>>
>>> 3. Enforce the exact same, uniform font and font size for all
>>> message and composer views.
>>
>> You can *not* set what font or font size other people choose to use
>> when they compose, just what you use when composing.
>
> BUT?
> Isn't there a way to force a _minimum_ font size when _displaying_
> mail/news?
> C.F Edit->Preferences->Appearance->Fonts->Minimum font size

A note: I think this actually ends up being

Edit->Preferences->Appearance->
Fonts->*Encoding*->Minimum font size

That is, depending on the drop-down box selection, the settings may be
different. Look for font.minimum-size in about:config to see the
different minimum font size settings (about:config may actually be the
best way to compare this setting for all encodings at once?).

Then, even if the message body is being displayed as plain text, the
font and its size may depend on the message body encoding, if there are
different font settings for different encodings.