Crazee Edeee, his prices are INSANE!!!

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Achievement Unlocked!

SubjectAuthor
* Achievement Unlocked!Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Achievement Unlocked!Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: Achievement Unlocked!Zaghadka
|`* Re: Achievement Unlocked!Spalls Hurgenson
| `- Re: Achievement Unlocked!Ant
`* Re: Achievement Unlocked!Justisaur
 `* Re: Achievement Unlocked!Spalls Hurgenson
  `- Re: Achievement Unlocked!Dimensional Traveler

1
Achievement Unlocked!

<l5lubhhoh2llqkmb07n70bl60ta5c4trdq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9318&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9318

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Achievement Unlocked!
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 16:20:39 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 20:20 UTC

Didja know that Usenet has Achievements? Well... it doesn't. But if it
did, I would have just unlocked the "You Talk Too Much" achievement.

So, in January I set myself an unstated goal - a resolution for the
New Year*, if you would - of trying to maintain an average of 1 post
to Usenet per day. An odd goal, to be sure, but one I hoped would both
foster my creativity and make it look like c.s.i.p.g.a is a growing
concern**. Back when I set that challenge for myself, I figured it
might be a bit of a struggle, but I /should/ be able to keep to it and
- by December - might top a full 365 posts in a single year.

I had, shall we say, underestimated my wordiness by a /wee/ bit. Out
of curiosity, I added up how many posts I'd made since the start of
the year and, well... Yeah, it turns out I reached that goal sometime
late last month.

Well, let me offer my half-hearted apologies to everyone who's been
flooded with my nonsensical commentary over the past half-year. I
suppose, technically, that - having achieved what I wanted to in
January - I could just take the rest of the year off and not make
another comment until after December 31st.

But I wouldn't count on it.

;-)

------------------
* say, that sound neat; I wonder if it'll catch on
** also, an attempt to avoid a repeat of the unfortunate year-long
lapse in my posting in 2020-21

Re: Achievement Unlocked!

<t9nnot$2c8hq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9320&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9320

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Achievement Unlocked!
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 14:08:47 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 21:08 UTC

On 7/1/2022 1:20 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Didja know that Usenet has Achievements? Well... it doesn't. But if it
> did, I would have just unlocked the "You Talk Too Much" achievement.
>
> So, in January I set myself an unstated goal - a resolution for the
> New Year*, if you would - of trying to maintain an average of 1 post
> to Usenet per day. An odd goal, to be sure, but one I hoped would both
> foster my creativity and make it look like c.s.i.p.g.a is a growing
> concern**. Back when I set that challenge for myself, I figured it
> might be a bit of a struggle, but I /should/ be able to keep to it and
> - by December - might top a full 365 posts in a single year.
>
> I had, shall we say, underestimated my wordiness by a /wee/ bit. Out
> of curiosity, I added up how many posts I'd made since the start of
> the year and, well... Yeah, it turns out I reached that goal sometime
> late last month.
>
> Well, let me offer my half-hearted apologies to everyone who's been
> flooded with my nonsensical commentary over the past half-year.

Hey, if people didn't post nonsense there wouldn't be an Internet!

> suppose, technically, that - having achieved what I wanted to in
> January - I could just take the rest of the year off and not make
> another comment until after December 31st.
>
> But I wouldn't count on it.
>
> ;-)
>

> ------------------
> * say, that sound neat; I wonder if it'll catch on
> ** also, an attempt to avoid a repeat of the unfortunate year-long
> lapse in my posting in 2020-21

dirty old man.

Re: Achievement Unlocked!

<faqubhd8bebdujac5fujjkqooc2k7580f8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9321&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9321

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 16:38:34 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 21:38 UTC

On Fri, 01 Jul 2022 16:20:39 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>Didja know that Usenet has Achievements? Well... it doesn't. But if it
>did, I would have just unlocked the "You Talk Too Much" achievement.
>
>So, in January I set myself an unstated goal - a resolution for the
>New Year*, if you would - of trying to maintain an average of 1 post
>to Usenet per day. An odd goal, to be sure, but one I hoped would both
>foster my creativity and make it look like c.s.i.p.g.a is a growing
>concern**. Back when I set that challenge for myself, I figured it
>might be a bit of a struggle, but I /should/ be able to keep to it and
>- by December - might top a full 365 posts in a single year.
>
>I had, shall we say, underestimated my wordiness by a /wee/ bit. Out
>of curiosity, I added up how many posts I'd made since the start of
>the year and, well... Yeah, it turns out I reached that goal sometime
>late last month.
>
>Well, let me offer my half-hearted apologies to everyone who's been
>flooded with my nonsensical commentary over the past half-year. I
>suppose, technically, that - having achieved what I wanted to in
>January - I could just take the rest of the year off and not make
>another comment until after December 31st.
>
>But I wouldn't count on it.
>
>;-)

More cat videos, please.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Achievement Unlocked!

<rrqubhplkifrfv7k0g8m261ukkf0nonnu0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9322&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9322

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 17:57:10 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 21:57 UTC

On Fri, 01 Jul 2022 16:38:34 -0500, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>>On Fri, 01 Jul 2022 16:20:39 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>I could just take the rest of the year off and not make
>>another comment until after December 31st.

>>But I wouldn't count on it.

>More cat videos, please.

Okay.

|----------------------------------
| Meow?
| /
| |\__/,| (`\
| _.|o o |_ ) )
| -(((---(((--------
|
| ----------------------------------
| WOOF!
| /
| / \__ /
| ( @\___
| / O
| / (_____/
| /_____/ U
| ----------------------------------
| HISSS!
| /
| /
| /\_/\
| /\ / o o \
| //\\ \~(*)~/
| ` \/ ^ /
| | \|| ||
| \ '|| ||
| \)()-())
| ----------------------------------
| {whine}
| /
| ^\ /
| / //o__o
| /\ / __/
| \ \____\ /
| \ /
| \ \----\ \
| \_\_ \_\_
| ----------------------------------
|
| Meow!
| /
| |\__/,| (`\
| _.|o o |_ ) )
| -(((---(((--------
|
| ----------------------------------

(with thanks to the ASCII Art Archive
https://www.asciiart.eu/)

Re: Achievement Unlocked!

<t82dnbLPbr_F4iL_nZ2dnUU7-dudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9324&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9324

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 18:12:24 -0500
 by: Ant - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 23:12 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2022 16:38:34 -0500, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>On Fri, 01 Jul 2022 16:20:39 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> >>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> >>I could just take the rest of the year off and not make
> >>another comment until after December 31st.

> >>But I wouldn't count on it.

> >More cat videos, please.

> Okay.

> |----------------------------------
> | Meow?
> | /
> | |\__/,| (`\
> | _.|o o |_ ) )
> | -(((---(((--------
> |
> | ----------------------------------
> | WOOF!
> | /
> | / \__ /
> | ( @\___
> | / O
> | / (_____/
> | /_____/ U
> | ----------------------------------
> | HISSS!
> | /
> | /
> | /\_/\
> | /\ / o o \
> | //\\ \~(*)~/
> | ` \/ ^ /
> | | \|| ||
> | \ '|| ||
> | \)()-())
> | ----------------------------------
> | {whine}
> | /
> | ^\ /
> | / //o__o
> | /\ / __/
> | \ \____\ /
> | \ /
> | \ \----\ \
> | \_\_ \_\_
> | ----------------------------------
> |
> | Meow!
> | /
> | |\__/,| (`\
> | _.|o o |_ ) )
> | -(((---(((--------
> |
> | ----------------------------------

Those aren't videos. :P
--
July and Canada Day, eh?
| |o o| |

Re: Achievement Unlocked!

<8feca6a0-2c05-4e9e-89b4-4b59ea78c4f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9360&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9360

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:36:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: justisaur@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 16:36 UTC

On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 1:20:57 PM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Didja know that Usenet has Achievements? Well... it doesn't. But if it
> did, I would have just unlocked the "You Talk Too Much" achievement.
>
> So, in January I set myself an unstated goal - a resolution for the
> New Year*, if you would - of trying to maintain an average of 1 post
> to Usenet per day. An odd goal, to be sure, but one I hoped would both
> foster my creativity and make it look like c.s.i.p.g.a is a growing
> concern**. Back when I set that challenge for myself, I figured it
> might be a bit of a struggle, but I /should/ be able to keep to it and
> - by December - might top a full 365 posts in a single year.
>
> I had, shall we say, underestimated my wordiness by a /wee/ bit. Out
> of curiosity, I added up how many posts I'd made since the start of
> the year and, well... Yeah, it turns out I reached that goal sometime
> late last month.
>
> Well, let me offer my half-hearted apologies to everyone who's been
> flooded with my nonsensical commentary over the past half-year. I
> suppose, technically, that - having achieved what I wanted to in
> January - I could just take the rest of the year off and not make
> another comment until after December 31st.
>
> But I wouldn't count on it.
>
> ;-)

A long time ago in another newsgroup someone put up monthly post
counts. 2 posts a day is amateur hour. Back in 2004 I see someone
topped the posts with about 3x your yearly goal in a month. In that
same month I had about 200. I doubt that's my most either.

-Justisaur

Re: Achievement Unlocked!

<g6r8ch9b0bilro74064ada5k541h129osd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9368&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9368

From: spallshurgenson@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 13:04:45 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 17:04 UTC

On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:36:22 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 1:20:57 PM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> Didja know that Usenet has Achievements? Well... it doesn't. But if it
>> did, I would have just unlocked the "You Talk Too Much" achievement.

>A long time ago in another newsgroup someone put up monthly post
>counts. 2 posts a day is amateur hour. Back in 2004 I see someone
>topped the posts with about 3x your yearly goal in a month. In that
>same month I had about 200. I doubt that's my most either.

Oh it is not a competition (although 'back in the day' I posted a lot
more too, I say, suddenly making it a competition ;-). But over recent
years, my post count on Usenet has dropped dramatically, and I set
myself a goal at the beginning of the year to try and reverse that
trend. I thought it would take a good chunk of the year before I
managed to get close to achieving that aspired average, and was quite
surprised to see I had fulfilled my goals more than six months early.

But hey, if you want to be 'top poster' of the newsgroup, go for it.
The more you post, the more material I (and others) have to respond
to, which gives you (and others) more material, and so on and so on in
an endlessly growing cycle until Usenet once again becomes the
dominant medium of conversation on the Internet once again.
Muahahahaha, and so forth.

Side note: finding stats on newsgroup activity seems incredibly
difficult. I was looking to see if c.s.i.p.g.a activity has increased
or decreated over the past few years, and how it ranks compared to
other newsgroups, but that information just doesnt' seem to be
publically available anymore. Apparently a lot of NNTP providers
locked down their feeds a few years back because third-party search
tools were accessing it (largely to aid in piracy), but that had the
unfortunate side effect of killing any statistical tracking of group
activity. :(

Re: Achievement Unlocked!

<ta1vvs$3p9gl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9372&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9372

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 11:30:19 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 18:30 UTC

On 7/5/2022 10:04 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:36:22 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
> <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 1:20:57 PM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>> Didja know that Usenet has Achievements? Well... it doesn't. But if it
>>> did, I would have just unlocked the "You Talk Too Much" achievement.
>
>> A long time ago in another newsgroup someone put up monthly post
>> counts. 2 posts a day is amateur hour. Back in 2004 I see someone
>> topped the posts with about 3x your yearly goal in a month. In that
>> same month I had about 200. I doubt that's my most either.
>
> Oh it is not a competition (although 'back in the day' I posted a lot
> more too, I say, suddenly making it a competition ;-). But over recent
> years, my post count on Usenet has dropped dramatically, and I set
> myself a goal at the beginning of the year to try and reverse that
> trend. I thought it would take a good chunk of the year before I
> managed to get close to achieving that aspired average, and was quite
> surprised to see I had fulfilled my goals more than six months early.
>
> But hey, if you want to be 'top poster' of the newsgroup, go for it.
> The more you post, the more material I (and others) have to respond
> to, which gives you (and others) more material, and so on and so on in
> an endlessly growing cycle until Usenet once again becomes the
> dominant medium of conversation on the Internet once again.
> Muahahahaha, and so forth.
>

> Side note: finding stats on newsgroup activity seems incredibly
> difficult. I was looking to see if c.s.i.p.g.a activity has increased
> or decreated over the past few years, and how it ranks compared to
> other newsgroups, but that information just doesnt' seem to be
> publically available anymore. Apparently a lot of NNTP providers
> locked down their feeds a few years back because third-party search
> tools were accessing it (largely to aid in piracy), but that had the
> unfortunate side effect of killing any statistical tracking of group
> activity. :(

In other groups I read there is someone who posts monthly stats for
those groups. Unfortunately he's also a posterior orifice and a bit of
a troll so I've plonked him, but the point is that at least recent stats
for some groups must exist somewhere. I will try to remember to give
some information if I see someone responding to one of his stats posts
but that's not likely before the beginning of next month.

dirty old man.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Achievement Unlocked!