Garbage In -- Gospel Out.

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

SubjectAuthor
* One Flag Makes Python 30% FasterLord Master
+* Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% FasterJoel
|+- Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% FasterPhysfitfreak
|+- Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% FasterPhysfitfreak
|+* Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% FasterPhysfitfreak
||`* Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% FasterPhysfitfreak
|| `- Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Fastercandycanearter07
|`* Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% FasterDFS
| `* Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% FasterJoel
|  `* Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% FasterDFS
|   `- Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% FasterJoel
+- Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Fasterrbowman
`- Re: One Flag Makes Anything 30% Faster!Lawrence D'Oliveiro

1
One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

<748fbcc5-4a22-4178-802d-6d3db60a8b99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9348&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9348

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 07:21:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster
From: lordiemassa@gmail.com (Lord Master)
 by: Lord Master - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:21 UTC

The bastards at RedHat/IBM, that spawned the nefarious turd known as Lennart Poettering and his systemd, do have some sense some of the time:

https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2020/06/25/red-hat-enterprise-linux-8-2-brings-faster-python-3-8-run-speeds

Oooh lookie!

"the most significant performance improvement in our RHEL 8.2 python38 package comes from building with GCC's -fno-semantic-interposition flag enabled. It increases run speed by as much as 30%, with little change to the semantics"

How's about that? One little gcc flag can speed up Python by 30 fucking percent!

Python is slower than a glacier made of molasses and so any speed up would be desirable.

Those gcc flags make a boat load difference. On my Linux systems I get up to 37% increase with comprehensive stress testing (no I/O and that includes GUI I/O).

No distro can compare with home cookin'. None. Zip. Nada.

Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

<ket9sipgrj2e3aht9kli9i7c8k5bike6ef@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9349&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9349

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 10:41:02 -0500
 by: Joel - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:41 UTC

Lord Master <lordiemassa@gmail.com> wrote:

>The bastards at RedHat/IBM, that spawned the nefarious turd known as Lennart Poettering and his systemd, do have some sense some of the time:
>
>https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2020/06/25/red-hat-enterprise-linux-8-2-brings-faster-python-3-8-run-speeds
>
>Oooh lookie!
>
>"the most significant performance improvement in our RHEL 8.2 python38 package comes from building with GCC's -fno-semantic-interposition flag enabled. It increases run speed by as much as 30%, with little change to the semantics"
>
>How's about that? One little gcc flag can speed up Python by 30 fucking percent!
>
>Python is slower than a glacier made of molasses and so any speed up would be desirable.
>
>Those gcc flags make a boat load difference. On my Linux systems I get up to 37% increase with comprehensive stress testing (no I/O and that includes GUI I/O).
>
>No distro can compare with home cookin'. None. Zip. Nada.

I'm lame and just use Mint as if it was Windows. I suck at being a
computer geek/nerd.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

<l2ki61FpahoU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9353&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9353

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 8 Feb 2024 17:43:29 GMT
 by: rbowman - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 17:43 UTC

On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 07:21:59 -0800 (PST), Lord Master wrote:

> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2020/06/25/red-hat-enterprise-
linux-8-2-brings-faster-python-3-8-run-speeds

> Oooh lookie!
>
> "the most significant performance improvement in our RHEL 8.2 python38
> package comes from building with GCC's -fno-semantic-interposition flag
> enabled. It increases run speed by as much as 30%, with little change to
> the semantics"

I realize that living in a windowless cellar makes it difficult to keep up
with the passing of years, but we're a little past 2020 and Python 3.8.

https://ts2.com.pl/en/will-python-3-14-be-faster-than-c/

Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

<231d6377-a420-47ee-97fd-feb135f50345@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9360&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9360

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:46:58 -0600
To: Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com>
 by: Physfitfreak - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:46 UTC

On 2/8/2024 9:41 AM, Joel wrote:
> I'm lame and just use Mint as if it was Windows. I suck at being a
> computer geek/nerd.

Everybody uses the computer the way they want, and that's what makes sense.

Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

<733bc719-2c99-45ed-9faa-560c4bc0d7be@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9361&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9361

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:48:36 -0600
To: Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com>
 by: Physfitfreak - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:48 UTC

On 2/8/2024 9:41 AM, Joel wrote:
> I'm lame and just use Mint as if it was Windows. I suck at being a
> computer geek/nerd.

Everybody uses the computer the way they want, and that's what makes sense.

Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

<a160503c-ab63-4211-b45b-1f31d5b5153d@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9362&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9362

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:49:43 -0600
To: Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com>
 by: Physfitfreak - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:49 UTC

On 2/8/2024 9:41 AM, Joel wrote:
> I'm lame and just use Mint as if it was Windows. I suck at being a
> computer geek/nerd.

Everybody uses the computer the way they want, and that's what makes sense.

Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

<uq3bdf$1hqo5$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9363&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9363

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:52:16 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:52 UTC

On 2/8/2024 1:49 PM, Physfitfreak wrote:
> On 2/8/2024 9:41 AM, Joel wrote:
>> I'm lame and just use Mint as if it was Windows.  I suck at being a
>> computer geek/nerd.
>

> Everybody uses the computer the way they want, and that's what makes sense.

Thunderbird was acting again.

Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

<OsaxN.354217$xHn7.43030@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9364&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9364

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:03:58 -0500
 by: DFS - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 20:03 UTC

On 2/8/2024 10:41 AM, Joel wrote:

> I'm lame and just use Mint as if it was Windows. I suck at being a
> computer geek/nerd.

I kind of addressed that in my Ode to Crapware (letter O). Have you
ever seen the masterpiece?

A is for "advocate", who freeloads the code
Their shameless hypocrisy we do like to goad
Each Monday am it's Windows they boot
Free software means nothing in the face of big loot

B is for bash, they call it a shell
New users are flummoxed and shout "What the hell?"
Bourne Again Shell is it's formal birth name
It's now 23 years old and still POSIX-tively lame

C is for chown, a most geeky task
Watch the NFS files or it could bite your ass
If it throws an ENOMEM and you know what that means
You should take a long break from your grimy green screens

D is for distro, a pile of crap code
They multiply like roaches and they're free to download
You can try 1 a day for the rest of your life
Some geeks prefer it to having a wife

E is for ext4, an extended filesystem
It waits to write data - it delays allocation
4 is the safest with journal checksumming
If 5 has no fragments the geeks won't stop cumming

F is for Fedora, a "community" distro
What I want to know is why they do Spin it so?
They say "Freedom. Friends. Features. First." is their slogan
But the software they give me comes deep from their colon

G is for GNU, a kernel-less mess
The founder eats toejam, in public no less
They say they want software which respects your freedom
But they won't endorse Slackware - that surely is real dumb

H is for Hurd, a long-delayed kernel
The struggle to code it has become eternal
The most inner layer of Hurd is named Mach
The junk heaped around it is just GuhNoo crock

I is for inode, they keep your files ordered
If they run out your hard drive just might be slaughtered
inodes don't store filenames, or data, in fact
ls -i? find -inum? huh? What crap

J is for JACK, a sound API
Or is it a daemon? Pick one and say why
Whatever you choose is the actual meaning
The crapware is still in the middle of weaning

K is for KDE, a once-proud desktop
But lately here now it's reverting to slop
They added plasmoids and widgets galore!
And just turned it into a new open sore

L is for Linux, a horrid platform
If it's on your computer you're just not the norm
You tinker and toy and waste all the day
"Why?" is the question but no one can say

M is for manpages, so-called documentation
5 minutes with them and you'll know frustration
getpid and setsid will become your new friends
You'll slit both wrists open before reaching the end

N is for netbook, upon which Linux fails
The people cried out "We want Windows for sale!"
The return rates were high, and for very good reason
Lunix slop always was and will be out of season

O is for open source, they say you should read it
But only 1 in 1 million really does need it
If it looks just like pages of gobbledygook
You're sane and you're normal and not some Linux kook

P is for package, a collection of bytes
Before you install it you must have the rights
It will only install with the correct dependencies
If you know what this means you have Lunix tendencies

Q is for Quit, though they really mean Exit
Exit means Exit so why don't they fix Quit?
If Quit doesn't Quit and the app doesn't leave
Click Shutdown and reboot the Windows CD

R is for Reiser, a murdering man
He killed, hid the body, then quickly he ran
Five-O caught him squirming in Momma's downstairs
He lied and he weaseled and avoided the chair

S is for segfault, you will see it often
One might even greet you as soon as you login
A dereferenced NULL pointer is one common cause
It's another of the slopware's innumerable flaws

T is for text files, they config the crapware
They're scattered all over, but who really knows where?
..bashrc is hidden, while bashrc is not
The difference is unclear - it's hidden by .dot

U is for Ubuntu, an ungodly mess
Its developers are crappy and need to confess
The forums are filled to the brim with complaints
It freezes so much it would test all the saints

V is for vi, a ridiculous text editor
You'll have better luck evading a creditor
Some say use Vim, that it's quite an improvement
Or so that's the claim from the geek in the basement

W is for women, who really hate Linux
They don't know and don't care how much Tux really sux
They want to be treated with respect and humanity
Is that too much to ask of the man-child community?

X is for xargs, a CLI piece of crap
I'd much rather suffer a flubbed spinal tap
If xargs is "more safer and easy to use"
Why is my poor Grandma so scared and confused?

Y is for YUM, just another install tool
25 package managers? Lunix looks like a fool
None of them gives you the options you want
The hobbyist developers were just trying to flaunt

Z is for zombie, a process that won't die
Your crapbox may have thousands - nobody knows why
Kill the parent process and the zombie could live on
Kill the parent crapware and inspire this alphabet song...

Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

<uq3ek8$248v3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9368&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9368

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 14:47:03 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 20:47 UTC

On 2/8/24 13:52, Physfitfreak wrote:
> On 2/8/2024 1:49 PM, Physfitfreak wrote:
>> On 2/8/2024 9:41 AM, Joel wrote:
>>> I'm lame and just use Mint as if it was Windows.  I suck at being a
>>> computer geek/nerd.
>>

>> Everybody uses the computer the way they want, and that's what makes
>> sense.
>>

> Thunderbird was acting again.

Relatable.

Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

<u6lasipma90aopfuttb3877l0e4a70sr9h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9373&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9373

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 17:48:13 -0500
 by: Joel - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 22:48 UTC

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

>On 2/8/2024 10:41 AM, Joel wrote:
>
>> I'm lame and just use Mint as if it was Windows. I suck at being a
>> computer geek/nerd.
>
>I kind of addressed that in my Ode to Crapware (letter O). Have you
>ever seen the masterpiece?

I at least have a desktop without Winblows.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: One Flag Makes Anything 30% Faster!

<uq3q66$27oea$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9383&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9383

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: One Flag Makes Anything 30% Faster!
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 00:04:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 00:04 UTC

On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 07:21:59 -0800 (PST), Lord Master wrote:

> Python is slower than a glacier made of molasses and so any speed up
> would be desirable.

Poor Dimdows user suffering from Python envy, maybe?

Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

<uhKxN.313961$7sbb.162504@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9518&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9518

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 07:49:33 -0500
 by: DFS - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 12:49 UTC

On 2/8/2024 5:48 PM, Joel wrote:
> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/8/2024 10:41 AM, Joel wrote:
>>
>>> I'm lame and just use Mint as if it was Windows. I suck at being a
>>> computer geek/nerd.
>>
>> I kind of addressed that in my Ode to Crapware (letter O). Have you
>> ever seen the masterpiece?
>

> I at least have a desktop without Winblows.

You also have a girlfriend without a poon.

Re: One Flag Makes Python 30% Faster

<tb5fsi1nms19u3rs7k81d8harpgpqpb88n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9558&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9558

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 10:26:23 -0500
 by: Joel - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 15:26 UTC

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

>> I at least have a desktop without Winblows.
>
>You also have a girlfriend without a poon.

So she can't get pregnant, good.