"Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed." -- Robin, The Boy Wonder

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Gentoo

SubjectAuthor
* Gentoorbowman
+* Re: GentooRonB
|+* Re: GentooRabidPedagog
||`* Re: GentooRonB
|| +* Re: GentooRabidPedagog
|| |`- Re: GentooChris Ahlstrom
|| `* Re: Gentoorbowman
||  +* Re: GentooChris Ahlstrom
||  |`- Re: Gentoovallor
||  `* Re: Gentoovallor
||   `* Re: Gentoo%
||    `* Re: Gentoovallor
||     `* Re: Gentoo%
||      `* Re: Gentoovallor
||       `* Re: Gentoo%
||        `- Re: Gentoovallor
|`* Re: GentooStéphane CARPENTIER
| +- Re: GentooStéphane CARPENTIER
| +* Re: GentooFarley Flud
| |+* Re: GentooStéphane CARPENTIER
| ||`- Re: GentooJoel
| |`- Re: GentooDFS
| `- Re: GentooRonB
+- Re: GentooLord Master
`* Re: GentooRabidPedagog
 +- Re: GentooDFS
 `* Re: GentooJoel
  `- Re: Gentoocandycanearter07

Pages:12
Gentoo

<l2j0r6Fh6guU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9308&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9308

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Gentoo
Date: 8 Feb 2024 03:41:26 GMT
 by: rbowman - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 03:41 UTC

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1ak28vq/
new_gentoo_users_did_you_get_any/

The consensus is performance gains are only in your head unless you're
using a processor that should be shot behind the ear and buried in the
back yard.

Re: Gentoo

<uq20jq$1sal4$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9319&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9319

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Gentoo
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 07:41:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 07:41 UTC

On 2024-02-08, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1ak28vq/
> new_gentoo_users_did_you_get_any/
>
> The consensus is performance gains are only in your head unless you're
> using a processor that should be shot behind the ear and buried in the
> back yard.

Gentoo seems like a lot of extra, ongoing work for negligible gains.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Gentoo

<571cb7a5-4058-4f65-8378-5d0fcad5b07an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9327&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9327

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 04:34:03 -0800 (PST)
From: lordiemassa@gmail.com (Lord Master)
 by: Lord Master - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 12:34 UTC

On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 10:41:31 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

> The consensus is ...

The consensus of idiots is always idiocy.

Now get back to your extremely bloated distro-supplied DE where the
human nervous system can actually perceive the lag generated by
24,000 loc.

Re: Gentoo

<Y34xN.142231$taff.85952@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9331&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9331

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 07:47:52 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 12:47 UTC

On 2024-02-07 22:41, rbowman wrote:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1ak28vq/
> new_gentoo_users_did_you_get_any/
>
> The consensus is performance gains are only in your head unless you're
> using a processor that should be shot behind the ear and buried in the
> back yard.

Only a retarded Polack who lives in his mother's basement and can only
afford technology after saving up his meager allowance would think that
compiling specifically for your processor would result in noticeable
benefits.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative

Re: Gentoo

<P54xN.142233$taff.38711@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9334&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9334

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 07:49:51 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 12:49 UTC

On 2024-02-08 02:41, RonB wrote:
> On 2024-02-08, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1ak28vq/
>> new_gentoo_users_did_you_get_any/
>>
>> The consensus is performance gains are only in your head unless you're
>> using a processor that should be shot behind the ear and buried in the
>> back yard.
>
> Gentoo seems like a lot of extra, ongoing work for negligible gains.

It is. Not only that, but even if you follow instructions to get it to
compile for your specific processor, it won't necessarily work and
you'll be left with many hours wasted resulting in a broken desktop.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative
Linux Mint patron

Re: Gentoo

<Lv4xN.438421$83n7.131489@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9337&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9337

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 08:17:33 -0500
 by: DFS - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:17 UTC

On 2/8/2024 7:47 AM, RabidPedagog wrote:
> On 2024-02-07 22:41, rbowman wrote:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1ak28vq/
>> new_gentoo_users_did_you_get_any/
>>
>> The consensus is performance gains are only in your head unless you're
>> using a processor that should be shot behind the ear and buried in the
>> back yard.
>
> Only a retarded Polack who lives in his mother's basement and can only
> afford technology after saving up his meager allowance would think that
> compiling specifically for your processor would result in noticeable
> benefits.

heh!

Except he lives in his mother's pouch.

Re: Gentoo

<3sl9sipfuhd21kngli2p0q5grf39401doq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9338&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9338

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 08:33:33 -0500
 by: Joel - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:33 UTC

RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
>On 2024-02-07 22:41, rbowman wrote:
>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1ak28vq/
>> new_gentoo_users_did_you_get_any/
>>
>> The consensus is performance gains are only in your head unless you're
>> using a processor that should be shot behind the ear and buried in the
>> back yard.
>
>Only a retarded Polack who lives in his mother's basement and can only
>afford technology after saving up his meager allowance would think that
>compiling specifically for your processor would result in noticeable
>benefits.

It's a type of perfectionism. To use Mint/etc. would be no different
than Winblows, to one of these clowns. I don't begrudge them the
right to obsess over trivial differences in compiled code, you do you
as they say, but for fuck's sake, Mint is working well, and gives me a
recognizable interface.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Gentoo

<uq2qtb$20stf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9347&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9347

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:10:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:10 UTC

On 2024-02-08, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
> On 2024-02-08 02:41, RonB wrote:
>> On 2024-02-08, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1ak28vq/
>>> new_gentoo_users_did_you_get_any/
>>>
>>> The consensus is performance gains are only in your head unless you're
>>> using a processor that should be shot behind the ear and buried in the
>>> back yard.
>>
>> Gentoo seems like a lot of extra, ongoing work for negligible gains.
>
> It is. Not only that, but even if you follow instructions to get it to
> compile for your specific processor, it won't necessarily work and
> you'll be left with many hours wasted resulting in a broken desktop.

There was a time when I may have tried Gentoo, but that time is long gone.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Gentoo

<uq2sqi$21662$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9350&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9350

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 09:42:57 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:42 UTC

On 2/8/24 07:33, Joel wrote:
> RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
>> On 2024-02-07 22:41, rbowman wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1ak28vq/
>>> new_gentoo_users_did_you_get_any/
>>>
>>> The consensus is performance gains are only in your head unless you're
>>> using a processor that should be shot behind the ear and buried in the
>>> back yard.
>>
>> Only a retarded Polack who lives in his mother's basement and can only
>> afford technology after saving up his meager allowance would think that
>> compiling specifically for your processor would result in noticeable
>> benefits.
>

> It's a type of perfectionism. To use Mint/etc. would be no different
> than Winblows, to one of these clowns. I don't begrudge them the
> right to obsess over trivial differences in compiled code, you do you
> as they say, but for fuck's sake, Mint is working well, and gives me a
> recognizable interface.

I agree, Gentoo does seem to be for people who like tinkering a lot.

Re: Gentoo

<Pm8xN.309842$7sbb.225005@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9352&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9352

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 12:41:03 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 17:41 UTC

On 2024-02-08 10:10 a.m., RonB wrote:
> On 2024-02-08, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:

>>> Gentoo seems like a lot of extra, ongoing work for negligible gains.
>>
>> It is. Not only that, but even if you follow instructions to get it to
>> compile for your specific processor, it won't necessarily work and
>> you'll be left with many hours wasted resulting in a broken desktop.
>
> There was a time when I may have tried Gentoo, but that time is long gone.

Gentoo was designed to make pea-brained Linux advocates whose
self-confidence depends on people noticing that they use Linux feel
better about themselves because they're using the "needlessly
complicated" distribution. They're no different from the monks who
whipped themselves. The reality is that there is little benefit to using
something other than Linux Mint unless you want to learn more about the
way the operating system like with Arch, you feel safer with corporate
control like with Ubuntu, or you simply prefer rolling distributions
like with Sabayon.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative
Linux Mint patron

Re: Gentoo

<l2kjmrFpahoU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9354&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9354

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 8 Feb 2024 18:09:31 GMT
 by: rbowman - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:09 UTC

On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:10:35 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

> There was a time when I may have tried Gentoo, but that time is long
> gone.

I vaguely remember compiling kernels. In fact Red Hat and I parted company
when they released a gcc version that could NOT compile a kernel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux

"In particular, the use of a non-released version of GCC caused some
criticism, e.g. from Linus Torvalds[11] and the GCC Steering Committee;
[12] Red Hat was forced to defend this decision.[13] GCC 2.96 failed to
compile the Linux kernel, and some other software used in Red Hat, due to
stricter checks. It also had an incompatible C++ ABI with other compilers.
The distribution included a previous version of GCC for compiling the
kernel, called "kgcc"."

Don't confuse Red Hat Linux 7 with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.

Re: Gentoo

<uq3nbs$26hkr$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9376&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9376

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:16:11 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 23:16 UTC

RabidPedagog wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2024-02-08 10:10 a.m., RonB wrote:

>>> It is. Not only that, but even if you follow instructions to get it to
>>> compile for your specific processor, it won't necessarily work and
>>> you'll be left with many hours wasted resulting in a broken desktop.
>>
>> There was a time when I may have tried Gentoo, but that time is long gone.
>
> Gentoo was designed to make pea-brained Linux advocates whose
> self-confidence depends on people noticing that they use Linux feel
> better about themselves because they're using the "needlessly
> complicated" distribution. They're no different from the monks who
> whipped themselves. The reality is that there is little benefit to using
> something other than Linux Mint unless you want to learn more about the
> way the operating system like with Arch, you feel safer with corporate
> control like with Ubuntu, or you simply prefer rolling distributions
> like with Sabayon.

Nah, Gentoo simply offers another way of working with Linux.

I don't know about now, but Chromebooks were based on Gentoo.

--
There is always one thing to remember: writers are always selling somebody out.
-- Joan Didion, "Slouching Towards Bethlehem"

Re: Gentoo

<uq3ndd$26hkr$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9377&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9377

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:17:01 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 23:17 UTC

rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:10:35 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:
>
>> There was a time when I may have tried Gentoo, but that time is long
>> gone.
>
> I vaguely remember compiling kernels. In fact Red Hat and I parted company
> when they released a gcc version that could NOT compile a kernel.

What, you couldn't build your own gcc/g++?

:-)

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux
>
> "In particular, the use of a non-released version of GCC caused some
> criticism, e.g. from Linus Torvalds[11] and the GCC Steering Committee;
> [12] Red Hat was forced to defend this decision.[13] GCC 2.96 failed to
> compile the Linux kernel, and some other software used in Red Hat, due to
> stricter checks. It also had an incompatible C++ ABI with other compilers.
> The distribution included a previous version of GCC for compiling the
> kernel, called "kgcc"."
>
> Don't confuse Red Hat Linux 7 with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.

--
It is by the fortune of God that, in this country, we have three benefits:
freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom never to use either.

Re: Gentoo

<uq3ro1$25bpr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9385&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9385

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 00:30:57 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 00:30 UTC

On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:17:01 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
wrote in <uq3ndd$26hkr$4@dont-email.me>:

> rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:10:35 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:
>>
>>> There was a time when I may have tried Gentoo, but that time is long
>>> gone.
>>
>> I vaguely remember compiling kernels. In fact Red Hat and I parted
>> company when they released a gcc version that could NOT compile a
>> kernel.
>
> What, you couldn't build your own gcc/g++?
>
> :-)
>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux
>>
>> "In particular, the use of a non-released version of GCC caused some
>> criticism, e.g. from Linus Torvalds[11] and the GCC Steering Committee;
>> [12] Red Hat was forced to defend this decision.[13] GCC 2.96 failed to
>> compile the Linux kernel, and some other software used in Red Hat, due
>> to stricter checks. It also had an incompatible C++ ABI with other
>> compilers.
>> The distribution included a previous version of GCC for compiling the
>> kernel, called "kgcc"."
>>
>> Don't confuse Red Hat Linux 7 with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.

I did that once, on a commercial UNIX that didn't have gcc. It
was either HP/UX or UnixWare, I forget.

Anyway: First, you compile gcc using the native compiler...then,
you use the resulting "stage 1 gcc" to compile gcc all
over again. Show your grandma!

I wonder if Feeb understands that Gentoo is the
easy way, and Linux From Scratch is the hard way?

(Or...is it? Beats me.)

--
-v

Re: Gentoo

<uq3smu$25bpr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9388&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9388

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 00:47:26 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 00:47 UTC

On 8 Feb 2024 18:09:31 GMT, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote in
<l2kjmrFpahoU3@mid.individual.net>:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:10:35 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:
>
>> There was a time when I may have tried Gentoo, but that time is long
>> gone.
>
> I vaguely remember compiling kernels. In fact Red Hat and I parted
> company when they released a gcc version that could NOT compile a
> kernel.

I stopped using Fedora for my daily driver when
I discovered they were actively removing ECC code
from openssl. Apparently Red Hat's legal were not sure
of the patent status, and that was enough to get them to fiddle
with their supposed "community distribution"'s sources.

--
-v

Re: Gentoo

<006dnX-QR_XjGVj4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9394&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9394

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: pursent100@gmail.com (%)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:48:44 -0700
 by: % - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 01:48 UTC

vallor wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2024 18:09:31 GMT, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote in
> <l2kjmrFpahoU3@mid.individual.net>:
>
>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:10:35 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:
>>
>>> There was a time when I may have tried Gentoo, but that time is long
>>> gone.
>>
>> I vaguely remember compiling kernels. In fact Red Hat and I parted
>> company when they released a gcc version that could NOT compile a
>> kernel.
>
> I stopped using Fedora for my daily driver when
> I discovered they were actively removing ECC code
> from openssl. Apparently Red Hat's legal were not sure
> of the patent status, and that was enough to get them to fiddle
> with their supposed "community distribution"'s sources.

if i had to do all that to post i'd quit

Re: Gentoo

<uq42qh$25bpr$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9397&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9397

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 02:31:45 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 02:31 UTC

On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:48:44 -0700, % <pursent100@gmail.com> wrote in
<006dnX-QR_XjGVj4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>:

> vallor wrote:
>> On 8 Feb 2024 18:09:31 GMT, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote in
>> <l2kjmrFpahoU3@mid.individual.net>:

>>> I vaguely remember compiling kernels. In fact Red Hat and I parted
>>> company when they released a gcc version that could NOT compile a
>>> kernel.
>>
>> I stopped using Fedora for my daily driver when I discovered they were
>> actively removing ECC code from openssl. Apparently Red Hat's legal
>> were not sure of the patent status, and that was enough to get them to
>> fiddle with their supposed "community distribution"'s sources.
>>
> if i had to do all that to post i'd quit

It wasn't used for Usenet. It was used for
other Secret Squirrel communications.

(ECC is elliptical-curve cryptography.)
--
-v

Re: Gentoo

<Ga6cnWIn3NFIC1j4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9399&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9399

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: pursent100@gmail.com (%)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 20:06:59 -0700
 by: % - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 03:06 UTC

vallor wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:48:44 -0700, % <pursent100@gmail.com> wrote in
> <006dnX-QR_XjGVj4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>:
>
>> vallor wrote:

>>> I stopped using Fedora for my daily driver when I discovered they were
>>> actively removing ECC code from openssl. Apparently Red Hat's legal
>>> were not sure of the patent status, and that was enough to get them to
>>> fiddle with their supposed "community distribution"'s sources.
>>>
>> if i had to do all that to post i'd quit
>
> It wasn't used for Usenet. It was used for
> other Secret Squirrel communications.
>
> (ECC is elliptical-curve cryptography.)

so you did it for nothing cause all you do is post

Re: Gentoo

<uq4635$2eshr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9400&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9400

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 03:27:34 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 03:27 UTC

On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 20:06:59 -0700, % <pursent100@gmail.com> wrote in
<Ga6cnWIn3NFIC1j4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>:

> vallor wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:48:44 -0700, % <pursent100@gmail.com> wrote in
>> <006dnX-QR_XjGVj4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>:

>>> if i had to do all that to post i'd quit
>>
>> It wasn't used for Usenet. It was used for other Secret Squirrel
>> communications.
>>
>> (ECC is elliptical-curve cryptography.)
>>
> so you did it for nothing cause all you do is post

Actually, that turns out not to be the case, as Usenet
just fills the in-between times.

Right now I'm waiting for my carrier to jump back
to my home system to do some Background Galaxy Simulation (BGS).

There's another Player Minor Faction (PMF) in the system
that we (the player group) are trying to force a retreat. This
is done by reducing their influence in the system to 2.5% or
lower, then keeping them there for a week.

Plan A was to decimate their ships flying in the system. Took
a lot of pew-pew for very little movement of the needle. This
morning, I tried "Plan B" -- I got up early and did missions
for all the other factions, increasing their
influence -- and decreasing the influence of
the PMF in question by quite a bit.

But it's all about excuses to fly one's spacecraft -- because
that's what it is, a space sim first, and a game second.

Oh, and yeah: There's Thargoids, too.

--
-v

Re: Gentoo

<65CdnSkJecnCOVj4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9401&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9401

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: pursent100@gmail.com (%)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 21:04:45 -0700
 by: % - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 04:04 UTC

vallor wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 20:06:59 -0700, % <pursent100@gmail.com> wrote in
> <Ga6cnWIn3NFIC1j4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>:
>
>> vallor wrote:

>>> It wasn't used for Usenet. It was used for other Secret Squirrel
>>> communications.
>>>
>>> (ECC is elliptical-curve cryptography.)
>>>
>> so you did it for nothing cause all you do is post
>
> Actually, that turns out not to be the case, as Usenet
> just fills the in-between times.
>
> Right now I'm waiting for my carrier to jump back
> to my home system to do some Background Galaxy Simulation (BGS).
>
> There's another Player Minor Faction (PMF) in the system
> that we (the player group) are trying to force a retreat. This
> is done by reducing their influence in the system to 2.5% or
> lower, then keeping them there for a week.
>
> Plan A was to decimate their ships flying in the system. Took
> a lot of pew-pew for very little movement of the needle. This
> morning, I tried "Plan B" -- I got up early and did missions
> for all the other factions, increasing their
> influence -- and decreasing the influence of
> the PMF in question by quite a bit.
>
> But it's all about excuses to fly one's spacecraft -- because
> that's what it is, a space sim first, and a game second.
>
> Oh, and yeah: There's Thargoids, too.

all i ever here linux guys saying ,
well we're trying to and we're hoping we can but ,
they never seen to accomplish anything ,
and then they post about it why didn't you ,
just buy a computer that does what you want

Re: Gentoo

<H0ixN.94335$m4d.71918@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9409&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9409

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: vallor@vallor.earth (vallor)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 20:40:06 -0800
 by: vallor - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 04:40 UTC

% wrote:
> vallor wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 20:06:59 -0700, % <pursent100@gmail.com> wrote in
>> <Ga6cnWIn3NFIC1j4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>:

>>> so you did it for nothing cause all you do is post
>>
>> Actually, that turns out not to be the case, as Usenet
>> just fills the in-between times.
>>
>> Right now I'm waiting for my carrier to jump back
>> to my home system to do some Background Galaxy Simulation (BGS).
>>
>> There's another Player Minor Faction (PMF) in the system
>> that we (the player group) are trying to force a retreat.  This
>> is done by reducing their influence in the system to 2.5% or
>> lower, then keeping them there for a week.
>>
>> Plan A was to decimate their ships flying in the system.  Took
>> a lot of pew-pew for very little movement of the needle.  This
>> morning, I tried "Plan B" -- I got up early and did missions
>> for all the other factions, increasing their
>> influence -- and decreasing the influence of
>> the PMF in question by quite a bit.
>>
>> But it's all about excuses to fly one's spacecraft -- because
>> that's what it is, a space sim first, and a game second.
>>
>> Oh, and yeah:  There's Thargoids, too.
>>
> all i ever here linux guys saying ,
> well we're trying to and we're hoping we can but ,
> they never seen to accomplish  anything ,
> and then they  post about it why didn't you ,
> just buy a computer that does what you want

I did. Bought a tower system from System76 with Linux installed.

It came with Ubuntu, which was doing strange things with snaps. That's
the thing about snaps: nobody else but Canonical (the makers of Ubuntu)
can make a "snap store". I don't like that, and I'm partial to Linux
Mint anyway, so I installed it. Mint disables snaps by default...instead,
you can use Flatpaks.

But the casual user doesn't have to deal with all that...you can
download a Linux Mint image, write it to a flash drive, then boot it to
see what it looks like. If you like it, you can install it alongside
Windows.

Or...Windows has Linux as a component now, so you can play with it that
way. If you don't have a Linux guru in town that you're on speaking
terms with, I'd recommend trying this first. (There are a lot more
people that can help you with Windows problems than Linux problems.
Look for a local Linux User Group for a possible source of help,
should you need it.)

I didn't find SeaMonkey in the Linux Mint repositories, but it appears
to be available for download here:

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

Don't need to be superuser to install it -- you can
use the file manager to unpack it in your home directory, then drill
down into the "seamonkey" directory and double-click on the
"seamonkey" program.

And now, here I am writing to you with Seamonkey.

--
-v

Re: Gentoo

<65c6a2e9$0$2981$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9462&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9462

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 09 Feb 2024 22:10:49 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 22:10 UTC

Le 08-02-2024, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> a écrit :
> On 2024-02-08, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1ak28vq/
>> new_gentoo_users_did_you_get_any/
>>
>> The consensus is performance gains are only in your head unless you're
>> using a processor that should be shot behind the ear and buried in the
>> back yard.
>
> Gentoo seems like a lot of extra, ongoing work for negligible gains.

Depend of what you expected gain. If you want performance, yes, you are
right.

It's obvious, the choices done by the maintainers are good and as for
now the kernel is very modular it's heavy only when requested. So a
beginner will never be able to improve the performance of the kernel
with a custom distro.

But you can have more than one goal. You can want to learn. Or you can
want to install only what you need to have something light. In those
cases, I'm not that sure it requires that much work. And the gains
depends on your expectations.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Gentoo

<65c6a671$0$2981$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9463&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9463

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 09 Feb 2024 22:25:53 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 22:25 UTC

Le 09-02-2024, Stéphane CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr> a écrit :
> Depend of what you expected gain.

I'm tired. "Depends on your expected gain" would have been better.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Gentoo

<17b252eb6d12cad9$151086$412386$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9464&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9464

From: ff@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 22:39:39 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 22:39 UTC

On 09 Feb 2024 22:10:49 GMT, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:

>> Gentoo seems like a lot of extra, ongoing work for negligible gains.
>
> Depend of what you expected gain. If you want performance, yes, you are
> right.

Shut up, Carpenter.

You never built a kernel or any other program in your entire fucking
GNU/Linux experience -- and you know it.

You are just a distro lackey and will take whatever your distro
shoves down your fucking throat.

Therefore, you cannot make judgments about performance.

But I have and I can.

Gentoo has superior performance to any generic distro.

Period. Full stop. The case is closed.

Re: Gentoo

<uq7226$322bd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9491&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9491

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 05:37:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 05:37 UTC

On 2024-02-09, Stéphane CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:
> Le 08-02-2024, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> a écrit :
>> On 2024-02-08, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1ak28vq/
>>> new_gentoo_users_did_you_get_any/
>>>
>>> The consensus is performance gains are only in your head unless you're
>>> using a processor that should be shot behind the ear and buried in the
>>> back yard.
>>
>> Gentoo seems like a lot of extra, ongoing work for negligible gains.
>
> Depend of what you expected gain. If you want performance, yes, you are
> right.
>
> It's obvious, the choices done by the maintainers are good and as for
> now the kernel is very modular it's heavy only when requested. So a
> beginner will never be able to improve the performance of the kernel
> with a custom distro.
>
> But you can have more than one goal. You can want to learn. Or you can
> want to install only what you need to have something light. In those
> cases, I'm not that sure it requires that much work. And the gains
> depends on your expectations.

I understand. But usually Gentoo is "sold" by its adherents touting its
superior performance.

Like I say, if I was younger I would probably have tried Gentoo to learn
more. But as it is now, I just want to use my computer.