From: hexagonwin@disroot.org (Yuchan Seo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Any good page translating extension?
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 22:48:05 +0900
 by: Yuchan Seo - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 13:48 UTC

Hello. I'm an happy user of SeaMonkey.
Recently I'm dealing with a lot of websites with language I do not
understand, and I have to use a translator all the time. On browsers
based on Chromium or the new Firefox, the TWP extension[1] works fine,
but there is no support for XUL-based browsers at all.

Google Translate blocked their page-translate feature in my country[2],
thus I'm not able to use every extensions based on it. TWP works because
it queries each string on the page, rather than requesting a translated
version of the page onto a translate website.

So far I'm not aware of anything like the TWP extension for SM, so I'm
copying each sentences and manually pasting them onto Google and DeepL
translate. Is there any extension that does this?

[1]: https://github.com/FilipePS/Traduzir-paginas-web
[2]:
https://10wontips.blogspot.com/2020/09/google-url-based-page-translation-stops.html

Re: Any good page translating extension?

<lah8ei9t83kdvqsi5i70nadccgrbohd1bh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=928&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#928

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: Any good page translating extension?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 17:51:53 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 05:51 UTC

On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 22:48:05 +0900, Yuchan Seo wrote:

> Hello. I'm an happy user of SeaMonkey.
> Recently I'm dealing with a lot of websites with language I do not
> understand, and I have to use a translator all the time. On browsers
> based on Chromium or the new Firefox, the TWP extension[1] works fine,
> but there is no support for XUL-based browsers at all.
>
> Google Translate blocked their page-translate feature in my country[2],
> thus I'm not able to use every extensions based on it. TWP works because
> it queries each string on the page, rather than requesting a translated
> version of the page onto a translate website.
>
> So far I'm not aware of anything like the TWP extension for SM, so I'm
> copying each sentences and manually pasting them onto Google and DeepL
> translate. Is there any extension that does this?
>
> [1]: https://github.com/FilipePS/Traduzir-paginas-web
> [2]:
> https://10wontips.blogspot.com/2020/09/google-url-based-page-translation-stops.html

Here are two bookmarklets (JavaScript bookmarks) I use to translate
selected text on a page. One for Google, the other for DeepL.

A. Add these two bookmarklets to your bookmarks.

B. When you are on a page where you need to use a translator,
select the text to translate then click the bookmarklet.
The bookmarklet will automatically open a new tab with the
selected text translated in Google or DeepL.

Name: Translate Selection (Google)
Location: javascript:(function(){if(window.getSelection){var%20s=window.getSelection();var%20t=(s?s.toString():"");window.open("https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&op=translate&text="+encodeURIComponent(t));}})()

Name: Translate Selection (DeepL)
Location: javascript:(function(){if(window.getSelection){var%20to="en";var%20s=window.getSelection();var%20t=(s?s.toString():"");window.open("https://www.deepl.com/translator#auto/"+to+"/"+encodeURIComponent(t));}})()

With DeepL, it appears the bookmarklet should tell DeepL which language
to translate into. I have set the bookmarklet to tell DeepL to translate
into English. If you want DeepL to translate into Korean, change the
to="en" to to="ko".

Note: The built-in pop-up blocker does not block the new tab because
it is in response to a user command. If you have a stricter pop-up
blocker, it is possible your pop-up blocker might block the new tab.

____
ALSO SEE

Wikipedia article on bookmarklets: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookmarklet>

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Re: Any good page translating extension?