Lawrence Radiation Laboratory keeps all its data in an old gray trunk.

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansDFS
+* Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansRabidPedagog
|+- Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansJoel
|`* Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansDFS
| +* Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansRabidPedagog
| |`* Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansStéphane CARPENTIER
| | +* Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansPhysfitfreak
| | |`* Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansStéphane CARPENTIER
| | | +* Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansPhysfitfreak
| | | `- Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansChris Ahlstrom
| | `- Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansRabidPedagog
| `* Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansLawrence D'Oliveiro
|  +- Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansDFS
|  +- Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansRonB
|  `- Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansrbowman
+* Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansJoel
|`* Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansStéphane CARPENTIER
| `- Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansJoel
`- Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigansChris Ahlstrom

1
OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<%5asN.186387$vFZa.37505@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8465&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8465

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Subject: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:34:25 -0500
 by: DFS - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:34 UTC

Bottom line: leave the Notepad (cr)app installed on Windows, even if you
never use it. Turns out Notepad is required to get a right-click menu
item to create new text files.

This morning, as I do a couple times a week, I right-clicked inside a
folder to create a new file (usually text or Excel). Only this time
there was no option for a new text file. Then I remembered I
uninstalled Notepad a couple days ago, so it probably had something to
do with that.

The silly Notepad is next to useless vs modern editors. Can't believe
that ancient, featureless dreck is still the default text editor in Windows.

I assigned Notepad++ as the default app for .txt files. No such luck -
still no 'new text document' option in the menus.

Had to reinstall Notepad and set it as the default for .txt files to get
the menu option back.

I reinstalled Notepad via the MS Store, but there are Powershell and
Registry hacks to install Notepad and set default apps by file type.

The command line way to create a text file on Windows is:
1) open a terminal
2) log to the directory
3) $ echo some-text file-name.txt

or

1) open a terminal
2) $ echo some-text file-path-name.txt

Which works even if Notepad isn't installed. huh?

Anyway, a small whine that demonstrates a manufactured dependence on MS
apps, and an inconsistency between the Windows terminal and GUI.

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<egasN.227828$Ama9.164945@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8471&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8471

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:45:14 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:45 UTC

On 2024-01-24 10:34 a.m., DFS wrote:

> Bottom line: leave the Notepad (cr)app installed on Windows, even if you
> never use it.  Turns out Notepad is required to get a right-click menu
> item to create new text files.
>
> This morning, as I do a couple times a week, I right-clicked inside a
> folder to create a new file (usually text or Excel).  Only this time
> there was no option for a new text file.  Then I remembered I
> uninstalled Notepad a couple days ago, so it probably had something to
> do with that.
>
> The silly Notepad is next to useless vs modern editors.  Can't believe
> that ancient, featureless dreck is still the default text editor in
> Windows.

Microsoft has yet to produce anything more advanced so they want to
force you to use their archaic 1980s garbage.

> I assigned Notepad++ as the default app for .txt files.  No such luck -
> still no 'new text document' option in the menus.
>
> Had to reinstall Notepad and set it as the default for .txt files to get
> the menu option back.
>
> I reinstalled Notepad via the MS Store, but there are Powershell and
> Registry hacks to install Notepad and set default apps by file type.
>
> The command line way to create a text file on Windows is:
> 1) open a terminal
> 2) log to the directory
> 3) $ echo some-text file-name.txt
>
> or
>
> 1) open a terminal
> 2) $ echo some-text file-path-name.txt
>

> Which works even if Notepad isn't installed.  huh?
>

> Anyway, a small whine that demonstrates a manufactured dependence on MS
> apps, and an inconsistency between the Windows terminal and GUI.

The pedophile anti-Whites at Microsoft don't want you to think for
yourself or use software designed by more competent software engineers.
I figured you would have known this by now. If text editors are your
thing, there are hundreds in Linux so you can use a different one every
day until you find what you like.

It might be time for you to stop using software from people that we all
believed hated us for decades, but who have now proven it by calling for
crimes to be committed against us. They love nuggets there now, even
though most of them can't even afford to buy a computer or their
software, and it's just a matter of time before the corporation turns
into Boeing with doors flying off the planes.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<c9c2ridnvfaa656l21v0hg5hti6o36hlcm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8472&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8472

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:52:18 -0500
 by: Joel - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:52 UTC

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

>Bottom line: leave the Notepad (cr)app installed on Windows, even if you
>never use it. Turns out Notepad is required to get a right-click menu
>item to create new text files.
>
>This morning, as I do a couple times a week, I right-clicked inside a
>folder to create a new file (usually text or Excel). Only this time
>there was no option for a new text file. Then I remembered I
>uninstalled Notepad a couple days ago, so it probably had something to
>do with that.
>
>The silly Notepad is next to useless vs modern editors. Can't believe
>that ancient, featureless dreck is still the default text editor in Windows.
>
>I assigned Notepad++ as the default app for .txt files. No such luck -
>still no 'new text document' option in the menus.
>
>Had to reinstall Notepad and set it as the default for .txt files to get
>the menu option back.
>
>I reinstalled Notepad via the MS Store, but there are Powershell and
>Registry hacks to install Notepad and set default apps by file type.
>
>The command line way to create a text file on Windows is:
>1) open a terminal
>2) log to the directory
>3) $ echo some-text file-name.txt
>
>or
>
>1) open a terminal
>2) $ echo some-text file-path-name.txt
>

>Which works even if Notepad isn't installed. huh?
>

>Anyway, a small whine that demonstrates a manufactured dependence on MS
>apps, and an inconsistency between the Windows terminal and GUI.

Notepad in Win11 is a disaster. They created a newer one that doesn't
even accomplish the same thing. Chris V.'s suggestion of a shareware
text editor saved the day, when I was running Win11. In Linux,
though, I have xed for most text files, equivalent to the old school
MS Notepad, and also Kate for searching through logs. Much easier,
really. Good example of why I don't need Winblows.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<9lc2rit261bd5rnpeo46md4ah6hfc0lrfk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8473&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8473

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:55:40 -0500
 by: Joel - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:55 UTC

RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:

>The pedophile anti-Whites at Microsoft don't want you to think for
>yourself or use software designed by more competent software engineers.
>I figured you would have known this by now. If text editors are your
>thing, there are hundreds in Linux so you can use a different one every
>day until you find what you like.
>
>It might be time for you to stop using software from people that we all
>believed hated us for decades, but who have now proven it by calling for
>crimes to be committed against us. They love nuggets there now, even
>though most of them can't even afford to buy a computer or their
>software, and it's just a matter of time before the corporation turns
>into Boeing with doors flying off the planes.

Why are you so dumbfoundingly racist? JFC, blacks are not a monolith
anymore than crackers are.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<uorbro$1s369$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8475&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8475

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:54:32 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:54 UTC

DFS wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Bottom line: leave the Notepad (cr)app installed on Windows, even if you
> never use it. Turns out Notepad is required to get a right-click menu
> item to create new text files.
>
> This morning, as I do a couple times a week, I right-clicked inside a
> folder to create a new file (usually text or Excel). Only this time
> there was no option for a new text file. Then I remembered I
> uninstalled Notepad a couple days ago, so it probably had something to
> do with that.
>
> The silly Notepad is next to useless vs modern editors. Can't believe
> that ancient, featureless dreck is still the default text editor in Windows.
>
> I assigned Notepad++ as the default app for .txt files. No such luck -
> still no 'new text document' option in the menus.

What I did was to use the extension ".text" instead of ".txt" and assign the
".text" extension to my favorite text editor on Windows (gvim). Only helps with
files I create, of course.

--
You will be misunderstood by everyone.

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<cCbsN.264207$PuZ9.157117@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8486&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8486

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:17:02 -0500
 by: DFS - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:17 UTC

On 1/24/2024 10:45 AM, RabidPedagog wrote:
> On 2024-01-24 10:34 a.m., DFS wrote:
>>
>> Bottom line: leave the Notepad (cr)app installed on Windows, even if
>> you never use it.  Turns out Notepad is required to get a right-click
>> menu item to create new text files.
>>
>> This morning, as I do a couple times a week, I right-clicked inside a
>> folder to create a new file (usually text or Excel).  Only this time
>> there was no option for a new text file.  Then I remembered I
>> uninstalled Notepad a couple days ago, so it probably had something to
>> do with that.
>>
>> The silly Notepad is next to useless vs modern editors.  Can't believe
>> that ancient, featureless dreck is still the default text editor in
>> Windows.
>
> Microsoft has yet to produce anything more advanced so they want to
> force you to use their archaic 1980s garbage.

You don't program so you apparently don't know about the masterful MS
Visual Studio Code programmer's editor.

https://code.visualstudio.com

As I recall, it's the 1st or 2nd favored editor of Linux developers.

It's cross-platform FOSS and the source is available under the MIT
License, but the product itself is 'licensed not sold' and includes that
much-loved, on-by-default MS telemetry.

https://code.visualstudio.com/License/

VS Code is way overkill for a non-developer to edit simple text files,
but better it than Notepad.

Or MS could buy a decent editor and rename it Notepad. Or spend a
little money internally and enhance the existing (cr)app.

>> I assigned Notepad++ as the default app for .txt files.  No such luck
>> - still no 'new text document' option in the menus.
>>
>> Had to reinstall Notepad and set it as the default for .txt files to
>> get the menu option back.
>>
>> I reinstalled Notepad via the MS Store, but there are Powershell and
>> Registry hacks to install Notepad and set default apps by file type.
>>
>> The command line way to create a text file on Windows is:
>> 1) open a terminal
>> 2) log to the directory
>> 3) $ echo some-text file-name.txt
>>
>> or
>>
>> 1) open a terminal
>> 2) $ echo some-text file-path-name.txt
>>

>> Which works even if Notepad isn't installed.  huh?
>>

>> Anyway, a small whine that demonstrates a manufactured dependence on
>> MS apps, and an inconsistency between the Windows terminal and GUI.
>
> The pedophile anti-Whites at Microsoft

heh! Love how your raging, scrambled 'otherworldly intellect' makes
kooky claims like this.

> don't want you to think for
> yourself or use software designed by more competent software engineers.

A month ago you were never going to use Linux again.

> I figured you would have known this by now. If text editors are your
> thing, there are hundreds in Linux so you can use a different one every
> day until you find what you like.
>
> It might be time for you to stop using software from people that we all
> believed hated us for decades, but who have now proven it by calling for
> crimes to be committed against us. They love nuggets there now,

All big corps pretend to, but you'll notice they're very careful how
many they allow into mgmt and upper technical positions.

I'd love to know how many negroaches are involved in NT kernel
development, and in Linux kernel hacking. It's not many, approaching
zero I'm sure.

> even
> though most of them can't even afford to buy a computer or their
> software, and it's just a matter of time before the corporation turns
> into Boeing with doors flying off the planes.

MS has a long way to go to match the vileness and stated pedophilic
beliefs of Wretched Stallman.

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<occsN.83737$m4d.65454@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8491&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8491

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:57:39 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:57 UTC

On 2024-01-24 12:17 p.m., DFS wrote:
> On 1/24/2024 10:45 AM, RabidPedagog wrote:
>> On 2024-01-24 10:34 a.m., DFS wrote:
>>>
>>> Bottom line: leave the Notepad (cr)app installed on Windows, even if
>>> you never use it.  Turns out Notepad is required to get a right-click
>>> menu item to create new text files.
>>>
>>> This morning, as I do a couple times a week, I right-clicked inside a
>>> folder to create a new file (usually text or Excel).  Only this time
>>> there was no option for a new text file.  Then I remembered I
>>> uninstalled Notepad a couple days ago, so it probably had something
>>> to do with that.
>>>
>>> The silly Notepad is next to useless vs modern editors.  Can't
>>> believe that ancient, featureless dreck is still the default text
>>> editor in Windows.
>>
>> Microsoft has yet to produce anything more advanced so they want to
>> force you to use their archaic 1980s garbage.
>

> You don't program so you apparently don't know about the masterful MS
> Visual Studio Code programmer's editor.
>
> https://code.visualstudio.com
>
> As I recall, it's the 1st or 2nd favored editor of Linux developers.
>
> It's cross-platform FOSS and the source is available under the MIT
> License, but the product itself is 'licensed not sold' and includes that
> much-loved, on-by-default MS telemetry.
>
> https://code.visualstudio.com/License/
>

> VS Code is way overkill for a non-developer to edit simple text files,
> but better it than Notepad.
>
> Or MS could buy a decent editor and rename it Notepad.  Or spend a
> little money internally and enhance the existing (cr)app.

All I can say is that Notepad++ was nice to edit my hosts file with.
Admittedly, I don't program so I don't fall in love with text editors
the way that some of you too. Realistically, I would probably be fine
with either GEdit or nano.

>>> I assigned Notepad++ as the default app for .txt files.  No such luck
>>> - still no 'new text document' option in the menus.
>>>
>>> Had to reinstall Notepad and set it as the default for .txt files to
>>> get the menu option back.
>>>
>>> I reinstalled Notepad via the MS Store, but there are Powershell and
>>> Registry hacks to install Notepad and set default apps by file type.
>>>
>>> The command line way to create a text file on Windows is:
>>> 1) open a terminal
>>> 2) log to the directory
>>> 3) $ echo some-text file-name.txt
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> 1) open a terminal
>>> 2) $ echo some-text file-path-name.txt
>>>

>>> Which works even if Notepad isn't installed.  huh?
>>>

>>> Anyway, a small whine that demonstrates a manufactured dependence on
>>> MS apps, and an inconsistency between the Windows terminal and GUI.
>>
>> The pedophile anti-Whites at Microsoft
>
> heh!  Love how your raging, scrambled 'otherworldly intellect' makes
> kooky claims like this.

It's no longer a kooky claim since Lunduke has demonstrated that a)
Microsoft wants you to "transition" you children, presumably because
they want to have sex with them, and b) that Microsoft wants you commit
crimes against Whites. You can defend Microsoft all you wish, but you'd
be defending racist, woke pedophiles.

>> don't want you to think for yourself or use software designed by more
>> competent software engineers.
>
> A month ago you were never going to use Linux again.

A month ago, the rumours about what Microsoft was pushing were unproven.
I still think Linux isn't perfect, but I'm willing to swallow a bitter
pill if it means that the people who want my boy to become a "girl" lose
some power. I don't care if my actions have no effect on them; I can not
morally support them any longer. Linux Mint 21.3 is also quite wonderful
on my machine, to a point that I decided to become a patron for the
foreseeable future. It is also the first operating system with which I
can realistically keep the power drain on my battery between 5 and 6w.

>> I figured you would have known this by now. If text editors are your
>> thing, there are hundreds in Linux so you can use a different one
>> every day until you find what you like.
>>
>> It might be time for you to stop using software from people that we
>> all believed hated us for decades, but who have now proven it by
>> calling for crimes to be committed against us. They love nuggets there
>> now,
>
> All big corps pretend to, but you'll notice they're very careful how
> many they allow into mgmt and upper technical positions.
>
> I'd love to know how many negroaches are involved in NT kernel
> development, and in Linux kernel hacking.  It's not many, approaching
> zero I'm sure.

I don't personally mind if black people are working on software because
if they're gotten to that position, they have earned a degree and proven
that they're not just nuggets. I am disgusted by people who believe that
they're a different gender though, but I notice that they aren't
responsible for software development anyway. They belong to a project,
but do nothing in it other than complain that things aren't diverse
enough. They also complain that conservatives might be using certain
distributions which is fine by me because I can choose not to use those
distributions if those abominations touched it in any way. As far as I
know, Linux Mint's developers stay out of politics so I feel no
reluctance in supporting them. Even if they were Marxist assholes, I am
glad to support them as long as they shut up about their political
affiliation.

>> even though most of them can't even afford to buy a computer or their
>> software, and it's just a matter of time before the corporation turns
>> into Boeing with doors flying off the planes.
>

> MS has a long way to go to match the vileness and stated pedophilic
> beliefs of Wretched Stallman.

Let me know when Wretched Stallman encourages free software users to
commit crimes against Whites.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative
Linux Mint patron

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<65b42fe1$0$3250$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8632&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8632

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 26 Jan 2024 22:19:13 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:19 UTC

Le 24-01-2024, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> a écrit :

> All I can say is that Notepad++ was nice to edit my hosts file with.
> Admittedly, I don't program so I don't fall in love with text editors
> the way that some of you too. Realistically, I would probably be fine
> with either GEdit or nano.

You don't need to program to use text editors. You use them to edit
texts, so you can program, write texts, edit files, whatever. You can
even handle the result of your command line with it, ask for
LP/NV/FF/whatever, he'll explain. No I'm joking, he can't do anything
without the GUI he despise.

But seriously, I hear so many people believing that any terminal is good
enough and any text editor is good enough, I have to provide an example.

In my .bashrc file, I have the line:
"alias psc='ps axwf -eo ppid,pid,user,cgroup,pidns,args'"
Which provide me a way to see my processes related with the cgroups.
Which is very good most of the times. But, sometimes, I need to see
every cgroups, which I can't because I'm not root. But, I can't write
"sudo psc" because "psc" is unknown in the root environment. So instead
of doing like LP/NV/DG/whatever, in his video, opening a graphical text
editor to find a command, I'm using a cool terminal with a cool text
editor, and given the context I can give a solution way better than what
he provided in his video.

In my terminal, kitty for your information, I just write "alias" to
display all my aliases, including the line provided before. And there's
where the cool stuff comes. Instead of using my mouse, to copy the
command, I just press: [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+G and the result of the command is
opened in my text editor (neovim). So, now, I just press "/ps" to go on
the line provided before. Then I press "," to go on the second "ps",
inside the single quotes. And then I just press "yi'" to copy what's
inside the single quotes (so the comand ps with its arguments) in my
clipboard. Then, I just press ":q" to quit neovim and I'm on my shell
with the content of my command in my clipboard. So, I just have to write
"sudo " and press [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+V and it's done.

It's very fast and very easy. It's just an example, but there are so
many times you need to handle the result of your last command, having at
the same time a good terminal and a good text editor is important. Of
course to be efficient with it, you need to learn and practice it, but
once learned it's really better. And when you are using heavily your
terminal and your text editor, the practice comes fast.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<65b4307b$0$3250$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8634&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8634

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 26 Jan 2024 22:21:47 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:21 UTC

Le 24-01-2024, Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> a écrit :
> and also Kate for searching through logs.

journalctl is good for searching through logs.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<up1bkq$10kbb$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8635&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8635

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:27:38 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:27 UTC

On 1/26/2024 4:19 PM, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
> But seriously, I hear so many people believing that any terminal is good
> enough and any text editor is good enoug

You never hear me say that. I'm still waiting for one of you "experts"
to point to a simple editor that has a feature to toggle "typing
replaces selected text" off and on.

If you're so experienced, give me the name of one :)

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<svc8ril4hs0bpaannrh3e5vi2tgsc403lt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8638&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8638

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:37:12 -0500
 by: Joel - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:37 UTC

Stéphane CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:

>> and also Kate for searching through logs.
>
>journalctl is good for searching through logs.

That appears to deal with system logs, not text logs generated in chat
apps.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<65b43504$0$7521$426a34cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8639&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8639

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 26 Jan 2024 22:41:08 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:41 UTC

Le 26-01-2024, Physfitfreak <Physfitfreak@gmail.com> a écrit :
> On 1/26/2024 4:19 PM, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
>> But seriously, I hear so many people believing that any terminal is good
>> enough and any text editor is good enoug
>

> You never hear me say that. I'm still waiting for one of you "experts"
> to point to a simple editor that has a feature to toggle "typing
> replaces selected text" off and on.

I didn't understand what that mean the first time you wrote this. Maybe
you provided an example, I didn't see it. There are many possibilities,
I see some way to do it in any possibility I can guess with vim.

> If you're so experienced, give me the name of one :)

I'm pretty sure (neo)vim and Emacs can do it (for Emacs, I don't know
how, but there is no reason it would be impossible).

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<up1d10$10kbb$4@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8641&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8641

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:51:11 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:51 UTC

On 1/26/2024 4:41 PM, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
> Le 26-01-2024, Physfitfreak <Physfitfreak@gmail.com> a écrit :
>> On 1/26/2024 4:19 PM, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
>>> But seriously, I hear so many people believing that any terminal is good
>>> enough and any text editor is good enoug
>>

>> You never hear me say that. I'm still waiting for one of you "experts"
>> to point to a simple editor that has a feature to toggle "typing
>> replaces selected text" off and on.
>
> I didn't understand what that mean the first time you wrote this. Maybe
> you provided an example, I didn't see it. There are many possibilities,
> I see some way to do it in any possibility I can guess with vim.
>
>> If you're so experienced, give me the name of one :)
>
> I'm pretty sure (neo)vim and Emacs can do it (for Emacs, I don't know
> how, but there is no reason it would be impossible).

Can any of the two be used outside a command line?

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<uVYsN.309999$xHn7.244471@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8662&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8662

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:22:34 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 01:22 UTC

On 2024-01-26 17:19, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
> Le 24-01-2024, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> a écrit :
>>
>> All I can say is that Notepad++ was nice to edit my hosts file with.
>> Admittedly, I don't program so I don't fall in love with text editors
>> the way that some of you too. Realistically, I would probably be fine
>> with either GEdit or nano.
>
> You don't need to program to use text editors. You use them to edit
> texts, so you can program, write texts, edit files, whatever. You can
> even handle the result of your command line with it, ask for
> LP/NV/FF/whatever, he'll explain. No I'm joking, he can't do anything
> without the GUI he despise.

Yes, but you don't need a spectacular text editor to do any of that. I
use nano myself because it does what I want and is familiar.

> But seriously, I hear so many people believing that any terminal is good
> enough and any text editor is good enough, I have to provide an example.
>
> In my .bashrc file, I have the line:
> "alias psc='ps axwf -eo ppid,pid,user,cgroup,pidns,args'"
> Which provide me a way to see my processes related with the cgroups.
> Which is very good most of the times. But, sometimes, I need to see
> every cgroups, which I can't because I'm not root. But, I can't write
> "sudo psc" because "psc" is unknown in the root environment. So instead
> of doing like LP/NV/DG/whatever, in his video, opening a graphical text
> editor to find a command, I'm using a cool terminal with a cool text
> editor, and given the context I can give a solution way better than what
> he provided in his video.
>
> In my terminal, kitty for your information, I just write "alias" to
> display all my aliases, including the line provided before. And there's
> where the cool stuff comes. Instead of using my mouse, to copy the
> command, I just press: [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+G and the result of the command is
> opened in my text editor (neovim). So, now, I just press "/ps" to go on
> the line provided before. Then I press "," to go on the second "ps",
> inside the single quotes. And then I just press "yi'" to copy what's
> inside the single quotes (so the comand ps with its arguments) in my
> clipboard. Then, I just press ":q" to quit neovim and I'm on my shell
> with the content of my command in my clipboard. So, I just have to write
> "sudo " and press [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+V and it's done.
>
> It's very fast and very easy. It's just an example, but there are so
> many times you need to handle the result of your last command, having at
> the same time a good terminal and a good text editor is important. Of
> course to be efficient with it, you need to learn and practice it, but
> once learned it's really better. And when you are using heavily your
> terminal and your text editor, the practice comes fast.

I'm sure that if I needed to manipulate texts as much as you seem to,
I'd look for something more extensive but I don't. Even gedit is fine
but I find it cumbersome to use it over the familiar nano.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative
Linux Mint patron

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<65b50b7e$0$2567$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8705&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8705

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 27 Jan 2024 13:56:14 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 13:56 UTC

Le 26-01-2024, Physfitfreak <Physfitfreak@gmail.com> a écrit :
> On 1/26/2024 4:41 PM, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
>>>

>>> You never hear me say that. I'm still waiting for one of you "experts"
>>> to point to a simple editor that has a feature to toggle "typing
>>> replaces selected text" off and on.
>>
>> I didn't understand what that mean the first time you wrote this. Maybe
>> you provided an example, I didn't see it. There are many possibilities,
>> I see some way to do it in any possibility I can guess with vim.
>>
>>> If you're so experienced, give me the name of one :)
>>
>> I'm pretty sure (neo)vim and Emacs can do it (for Emacs, I don't know
>> how, but there is no reason it would be impossible).
>
> Can any of the two be used outside a command line?

We are speaking about text editors, not about command lines.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<up348n$3dmjg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8712&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8712

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:33:57 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:33 UTC

Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Le 26-01-2024, Physfitfreak <Physfitfreak@gmail.com> a écrit :
>> On 1/26/2024 4:19 PM, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
>>> But seriously, I hear so many people believing that any terminal is good
>>> enough and any text editor is good enoug
>> You never hear me say that. I'm still waiting for one of you "experts"
>> to point to a simple editor that has a feature to toggle "typing
>> replaces selected text" off and on.
>
> I didn't understand what that mean the first time you wrote this. Maybe
> you provided an example, I didn't see it. There are many possibilities,
> I see some way to do it in any possibility I can guess with vim.
>
>> If you're so experienced, give me the name of one :)
>
> I'm pretty sure (neo)vim and Emacs can do it (for Emacs, I don't know
> how, but there is no reason it would be impossible).

He's asking for something useless (at least in vim). You select the text, and
then you decide: Delete it? d. Replace it? c. Replace with a given character?
r <char>.

Also of note is that he can't find it himself :-D

And, of course, if vim does have that "feechure", he'll weasel on the word
"simple", no doubt.

--
You will be run over by a beer truck.

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<uppf47$3v3vn$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9214&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9214

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 01:54:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 01:54 UTC

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:17:02 -0500, DFS wrote:

> You don't program so you apparently don't know about the masterful MS
> Visual Studio Code programmer's editor.

You mean, the one that’s a gigabyte download? That doesn’t use Microsoft’s
own Dotnet framework, instead opting for an outside project involving
Chromium+JavaScript?

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<lyYvN.258795$Ama9.110301@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9217&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9217

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:25:06 -0500
 by: DFS - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 03:25 UTC

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:17:02 -0500, DFS wrote:
>
>> You don't program so you apparently don't know about the masterful MS
>> Visual Studio Code programmer's editor.
>
> You mean, the one that’s a gigabyte download?

The setup.exe is 96MB.
The .zip is 134MB.

https://code.visualstudio.com/Download

> That doesn’t use Microsoft’s
> own Dotnet framework, instead opting for an outside project involving
> Chromium+JavaScript?

wtf are you babbling about?

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<uppl5h$49a8$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9220&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9220

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 03:37:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 03:37 UTC

On 2024-02-05, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:17:02 -0500, DFS wrote:
>
>> You don't program so you apparently don't know about the masterful MS
>> Visual Studio Code programmer's editor.
>
> You mean, the one that’s a gigabyte download? That doesn’t use Microsoft’s
> own Dotnet framework, instead opting for an outside project involving
> Chromium+JavaScript?

I've installed an open source version called VSCodium to try out an add-on
called Better Fountain. Not as good as Fountain-Mode under Emacs, but not
terrible.

Testing Better Fountain in VSCodium is all I've done with it. I use Jstar
(JOE) as my text editor.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: OT: Windows 11 (and Notepad) text file shenanigans

<l2ch06Fda0bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9231&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9231

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 5 Feb 2024 16:34:15 GMT
 by: rbowman - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 16:34 UTC

On Mon, 5 Feb 2024 01:54:15 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> You mean, the one that’s a gigabyte download? That doesn’t use
> Microsoft’s own Dotnet framework, instead opting for an outside project
> involving Chromium+JavaScript?

Using dotnet would be a problem for cross platform. So far there is no GUI
support for dotnet on Linux.